Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Lyrik and Fox 36 forks – opinions and experiences
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thinking about some new forks for my Blur LT2. As I want to do more big rides this year I fancy something with more travel and giving me a slightly slacker head angle than my current Pike 454 airs.

The Lyrik and Fox 36 160 air forks are about the same weight, axle to crown height etc, so on paper nothing to separate them. They are also about the same weight as my current Pikes, so no penalty there

All comments appreciated

Thanks

carbon337
    Free Member

lyriks rule ok!

coils are great – dead simple but I think they arent as “cool” as Fox even though the 36’s were previously known for stantion wear.

messiah
    Free Member

Bos Deville 😉

Yetiman
    Free Member

This thread might help

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2010-fox-van-36-or-2010-lyrik-dh-opinions

I haven’t tried Lyriks but my 36 Floats have been a revelation after converting from long term 36 Van RC2 use. My current set of Vans has a custom ti spring yet it the Floats I prefer.

Northwind

I’m pretty impressed with my Lyriks (2-step air). They’re not light but they’re stiff as hell and very controlled, the mission control damper is intuitive and quick to work with, makes going back to forks without hi and lo compression damping adjusters feel a bit daft. The big downside was that the 2-step failed before i ever rode them, it was replaced under warranty but I still don’t trust it at all so I’m coiling them. Still, the air ones do work brilliantly when they work.

I think the high end air 36s have a plusher feel and possibly better damping but aren’t as easy to get good results out of. The cheaper 36s aren’t as good IMO.

I kind of feel that once you’ve got a fork that weighs this much, you might as well go the whole hog and go coil. If you want light you’re already shopping in the wrong place.

So the other way to do it, is a Revelation or similiar, with the tallest headset you can find 😉 This is what’s in my Mmmbop, with a +10mm Hope headset it works out only about 5mm shorter than the Lyriks with a zero stack. Much less stiff as you’d expect but then a heck of a lot lighter. TBH I think this is a better all round setup but the Hemlock’s built up a bit heavier all round and there are times that the big fork is worth lugging around.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The big downside was that the 2-step failed before i ever rode them, it was replaced under warranty but I still don’t trust it at all so I’m coiling them. Still, the air ones do work brilliantly when they work.

I think the high end air 36s have a plusher feel and possibly better damping but aren’t as easy to get good results out of. The cheaper 36s aren’t as good IMO.

I’ve seen a couple of comments about recent Lyriks having problems. Is that specifically with the 2 step system or just generally?

Interesting comment about the Fox 36’s being difficult to get the best out of. Have other people found this? I’m not that great at spending lots of time experimenting with setup

Have also seen quite a few comments about Fox stanchion wear – is this general or a specific problem to a particular model year?

I’m definitely going air not coil because of the weight. What do people reckon on the necessity of having adjustable travel? My Pikes have adjustable travel but I never bother with it

steveh

If you’re buying new at 750 or less direct from bos france devilles all the way.

the_lecht_rocks

i’m a float 36 fan [FIT damper] . easy to service, easy to set up, excellent damping and good range of adjustment.

run them with as much compression as feels right, and as slow a rebound as possible and they are sublime. this feels numb in the car park, but stunning on the trail…

i’m on new 2011’s having px’d 2010’s. definite mid stroke improvement and a lovely stiff chassis.

i also run revelation dual air teams and they are great in action but an enormous faff to set up. not as nicely finished as the Fox either.

i say go FIT damped float 36.

bos devilles have a 34mm stanchion, less stiff, but reports suggest better mid stroke control. i’m unconvinced however, as there’s little history and the odd report of bushing knock and hub play….from new sets of forks….

chakaping
    Free Member

TLR – How does the FIT damped 36 differ in performance to the open-bath version? Just curious.

Northwind

CaptainMainwaring – Member

Interesting comment about the Fox 36’s being difficult to get the best out of. Have other people found this? I’m not that great at spending lots of time experimenting with setup

I wouldn’t say difficult, just not as simple, the Lyrik controls are really easy to follow but also very linear and predictable, it never feels like “I wonder what will happen if…”. The Fox ones are OK, it’s just that the launch control is really, really good for this.

Rev Teams like TLR mentioned can be a faff to set up because the dual air is such a powerful adjustment, it’s not just like “more damping”, you can totally change how the fork reacts. Which is good if you like that sort of thing but it’s not as simple as set spring rate, set damping, go.

LoCo
    Free Member

FIT damper is better than the open bath cart. as it’s ‘semi-pressurized’ by the bladder, the damping and lubricting oil is separte too so no contamination by dirt ingress.
    There are two tyes of FIT cart. too, the older one with the bladder at the bottom and the newer inverted one, which is better performance wise. Too early to say about reliabilty v new and old ones.
    The only downside is the relativly small amount of lubrication with the FIT carts. and it’s relation to stantion wear unless maintaince is kept on top of.

the_lecht_rocks

the open bath damper is supposedly more reliable with more oil in the chamber perfrming damping duty.

the FIT cart has less oil, but with it, less chance of cavitation and of course, lighter weight…..less cavitation = more continued damping performance on long runs.

pay yer money and take yer chance.

for reference, my open bath fork was less capable mid stroke than the FIT damped fork. dunno why really, but it’s improved the LSC circuit no end…

HTH

I_Ache
    Free Member

Foxes feel great and RS feel nearly as goo but owning a pair of Foxes is like having another child especially if you follow the service instructions to the letter. RS are much more forgiving of sloppy service intervals. Its RS for me.

glynP
    Free Member

Bos

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hmm. Good input – looks pretty much even split with various pros and cons.

Don’t know if it makes any difference, but I’m thinking of running up to 30% sag so that in the attack position the axle to crown length is only going to be about 7-8mm longer than a Rev 150/Fox 32 150 that the frame geometry is designed for. Normally run about 25% sag on my Pikes. Not sure but does this mean that low speed compression and mid travel performance is most important and if so does that favour Lyrik or Fox 36?

messiah
    Free Member

Float 36 can be adjusted down in travel internally by 10mm increments if required – although it sounds like you are looking forward to getting maximum stroke.

I’m running what seems like a very pressure (45psi) to get 30% sag from my 2009/10 FIT RC2’s… but they feel brilliant. I use a few turns of LSC to prevent them diving overly and bobs your uncle… happy as a happy thing. Too much LSC and rebound and I find they clam up and don’t respond… and it seems to be a fairly fine line but now I’ve got it where I want it they make me very happy. Maintenance wise they have been fine – although this reminds me they could do with a stantion off strip which is the easiest way to re-lube. Turn them upside down before you use them was advice I was also given.

Performace wise they blow my old Pushed Pike coil teams out of the water, and they are lighter.

I’d like to try Deville’s and Lyrics but I’m happy to stick with what I have; but if I was buying now I would probably try the Deville’s just because I could.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks Messiah. Sounds like the Fox 36’s may have it, but I’m a bit concerned about all the comments on keeping to a rigorous maintenance schedule for the Fox’s over the Lyriks. How often do they need doing and are either of them reasonably easily doable at home?

Edit – and any other comments generally on Fox 36 vs Lyric running at about 30% sag?

mildred

I’ve had both 2008 van 36 rc2, & 2008/09 lyric 2 step air. Though slightly worried by the reports of 2 steps failing (not that I use the feature), they have proven to have a far better feel than the vans. Having said that, I’m not saying the 36’s were bad: far from it, they did 3 megas and general trail duties until I sold them, & I haven’t yet really “tested” the lyrics with any particularly hard riding, it’s just the initial feel ‘out the box’ is nicer; they’re incredibly plush & controlled for an air fork. They’re really stiff & I love the maxle compared to the fox system.

XXX
    Free Member

not that impressed with my lyrik coil.
    lsc is rubbish until you ditch the floodgate, they need a service more oftern than I can be at
    arsed and the rebound circuit just does not have enough clicks, grrr.

55rc 3 ti is soooo much a nicer fork

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

If you’re after pure performance the lyrik solo air rc2DH’s are awesome.

Their Mission Control DH damping is streets ahead of bog standard Mission Control and is found in the Boxxer.

Dare I say it, I think they’re even better than the current 36 Float.

Check out the review on BikeRadar too..

Remember, it’s Mission Control DH you’re after not the normal flavour (although that’s by no means bad!)

Northwind

RopeyReignRider – Member
    “Their Mission Control DH damping is streets ahead of bog standard Mission Control”

I’ve never used mission control dh but SRAM say the performance is pretty much the same as standard mission control with the floodgate removed, which is a 5 minute job. Certainly made a solid difference to mine.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yeah I read something like that too.. I think there’s a small difference in shim stack or something too.

All I know is that I love mine and genuinely think they out perform even the 36 Vans I had..

heihei

BOS Deville

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, thanks everyone. Looks like either fork will be a good choice so will probably be down to pricing and even trivial stuff like colour. Also need to decide whether to go adjustable travel or not. It’s about 200gms extra weight and I never use it on my Pikes, but might be essential with the longer axle to crown measurement.

How many of you with adjustable travel actually use it?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I had adjustable travel on my Wotans and used it occasionally.

However, I don’t have it now and don’t miss it, especially as big forks these days are so well behaved, i.e. they don’t bob and dive all over the place..

messiah
    Free Member

Adjustable travel is the work of the devil 😈

chakaping
    Free Member

How many of you with adjustable travel actually use it?

I don’t use the Talas on my 160mm bike (would rather have a Float tbh).

But when I had a 36 Talas on my Zesty (140mm rear travel) for a bit I used it a lot.

Should also mention that it wasn’t really “right” on either the 130mm or 160mm setting though!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, so one extra question. Any views on whether the Lyriks or 36’s are better for small bump sensitivity and mid travel smoothness. Tend not to do many big hits so full range capability is not my priority

the_lecht_rocks

@captain.

the new 2011 inverted FIT’s are wondrous…..

loads of LS sensitivity and an inability to bang through the mid-range….

a really really well sorted fork…

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I fitted new Fit Talas 36s to my Blur and love them… Very stiff and supple, and the two different ride heights are perfect! The bike feels great with them!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks TLR

skids – you b*****d. That LTc my dream bike in almost that exact build. If all goes according to plan I hope to have one by the summer. Can’t decide between the black and the lime green

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik and Fox 36 forks – opinions and experiences’ is closed to new replies.