Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lyrik 2-step on a 5?
  • SeanOrange
    Free Member

Anybody got this setup?
    Considering a longer fork than the Pike for my 2007 5. I think I want to try & keep as light as possible as the bike is quite burly (32lbs) already, so looking for an air fork.
    Would go with Lyrik over 36 Talas due to price and experience with the Pike, but also open to options.
    Is the Lyrik 2-step too low at 115mm for normal climb/fireroad/singletrack?

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Anyone?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I use a Lyrik U-turn on my 06 Heckler, pretty similar geometry to a 5. 115mm is great for climbing but I find the full 160mm to be quite a lot for singletrack riding. I normally run the fork at about 130-140mm and only crank out full travel for DH days. Obviously you can't do this with a 2-step!

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Thanks, so do RS do a Lyrik air U-turn?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

hi sean

i've got a 2007 Five 20" and run air pikes on it which are great, never seem to need to wind them down either, so i've also been considering investing in a 2010 Talas 36 – 160mm for dh and 130mm for everything else; as the middle setting (130mm) will be much the same as the pike at 140mm

i've also got a lyrik 2-step on a 18" patriot xcel and considered the swop but unfortunately orange cut the steerer way too short for my Fives massive headtube… typical!

the lyrik isn't light thought (2.5kg), and i find it no way as adjustable as the pike as it is solo air and not dual – the pike is way plusher, but the 115mm travel setting is a god send for climbing on the patriot. My 2-step has also had to be repaired twice now, so i've little confidence with it on long weekends/holiday trips away

115mm 2-step will be similar to a pike wound down to 120mm-ish

HTH

Mike-E

Hi Sean

I've got a 2004 Patriot, which has been in my garage in bits for a while now, but I have decided to rebuild and revamp it. I am currently considering either a Talas 36 or Lyrik U-turn fork for it. As others have said, I don't think a Lyrik 2-step offers as useful a range of settings as the other two?

HTH

Mikey

geetee1972
    Free Member

160mm forks on a 130-140mm travel bike will feel like a chopper and mess up the handling. Sure it will slacken the HA but it will also raise the BB and throw your weight too far over the back. Similarly, if the lower setting on the 2-step is 115mm, then that's going to have the opposite effect.

I've got a 140mm travel bike with coil Lyriks so I can set them anywhere in their travel. The bike works best when they are matched front and back. I've experimented with running them at 160mm for DH sessions, and in all honesty, concluded that the bike rides faster DH with them at 145mm. The reason being that the bike is better balanced i.e. better weight distribution between front and back allowing the suspension to work evenly, more steering control and grip etc.

The Pike is a fantastic fork and the Five is as capable downhill as you'll ever likely want short of having two bikes. It does however sound like you want something more DH orientated? If that is the case and you've outgrown what the Five can do, then maybe you should be thinking about having a second bike?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

the 2007 Five is built around an optimum fork height of 150mm and is warranted for a 160mm, so it's not going to make it feel like a chopper and mess up the handling….

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2007bikes/five-se.php

Mike-E

Update: I have just ordered a pair of coil Lyriks for the bargain price of £499.99. The rehabilitation of my Patriot has begun…

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys, looking more as if the 36 Talas would suit me.
    Geetee, the wife would love me to get another bike, NOT! 😆 I already have 3 😉 The 5 is a better bike than I am rider although I can feel improvements I make and it does push my riding on.
    I think I'll beef up the hardtail a bit so that I use that a bit more then get the 36s for the 5.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik 2-step on a 5?’ is closed to new replies.