Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Lynskey Ridgeline -v- Shedfire Ragley Ti…
  • the_lecht_rocks

just seen an adverrt for a Lynskey Ridgeline…
    Designed for long travel forks (assume 140 – 160mm) and UK weather / riding conditions, massive tyre clearance, etc…..
    distributed by Hotlines….
    How does the Ragley / Ridgeline compete / compare from the same distributor ?
    are they even competing ?
    i’d have preferred the Ragley to have a 1.125″ to 1.5″ tapered HT + ISCG mounts, really making it THE hardcore hardtail of choice….
    as it stands. i reckon my Ti456 is more hardcore, with bigger diameter tubes and a brilliantly low and short HT providing more direct steering input…. the slightly steeper HA (compared to the Ragley) also allows a TALAS 36 to work if needed too, esp. with the short HT..

am i missing something ?

aren’t the Ragley and the Ridgeline just the same but different (if you know what i mean) ?

are Lynskey competing with themselves ?

BillOddie

Looking at the Lynskey website Ridgeline = 29er.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i can’t help thinking theres too many titanium hardtails now. Is there really a big enough market for them?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the_lecht_rocks

bill – there seems to be a 26″ there too………….?

Wally

A trusting fellow has left his Ti Indy fab on the roof of his car, unlocked , in the pitch dark, right next to where I am drinking. I believe in removing the digits of bike theives, but I do think that’s a bit daft.

phinbob

Wally- how does it ride 😉

scaredypants

a brilliantly low and short HT providing more direct steering input….

Last pic I saw of your bike it had a big stack of spacers on top of the headtube didn’t it ??

Wally

I reckon a pissed grinning pilot in the dark would be very fast .
    Lookie no touchee!

the_lecht_rocks

wally – i’m lost ! ? !

BigDummy
    Free Member

Why does the length of the head tube (in isolation from its angle) affect the steering?

the_lecht_rocks

dummy – I’m more able to get over the front, more able to grunt the front about 🙂
    hence the reason my Ti456 runs a 50/70mm stem, (dependant on how i feel), a 2.4″ Big Betty and a Van 140 15mm BT.
    stiff, voluminous, big hitting and bl00dy direct 🙂
    great fun.

brant
    Free Member

I designed both of them if it helps.

They are quite different.

Designed for long travel forks (assume 140 – 160mm)

yes.

massive tyre clearance, etc…..

Ragley has biggest tyre clearance of any ti frame made.

distributed by Hotlines….

Yes

How does the Ragley / Ridgeline compete / compare from the same distributor ?
    are they even competing ?

The Lynskey is a more contemporary LT hardtail, whereas the Ragley is more edgy.

i’d have preferred the Ragley to have a 1.125″ to 1.5″ tapered HT + ISCG mounts, really making it THE hardcore hardtail of choice….

I think I probably will do one like that, but didn’t want that for this one.

as it stands. i reckon my Ti456 is more hardcore

trust me. It’s not. The Ragley moves on from the Ti456. It’s an evolution.

with bigger diameter tubes

The Ti456 has a larger diameter TT, but it’s curved. So kind of feels the same.

and a brilliantly low and short HT providing more direct steering input

Longer headtube (10mm) bigger weld area on the Ragley.

am i missing something ?

A test ride? Or a leap of faith 🙂

aren’t the Ragley and the Ridgeline just the same but different (if you know what i mean) ?

not at all.

are Lynskey competing with themselves ?

Lynskey make for lots of people. More people all the time. People like. Oh, no, well, let’s wait and see eh?

MARK :: FEEL FREE TO EDIT THIS IF I’VE BEEN TOO GOBBY.

brant
    Free Member

Oh, and it’s a Tweak Ragley Ti. By Shedfire.

We’re sort of like Pininfarina, but from Walsden.

NotoriousP.I.D
    Free Member

The Lynskey is a more contemporary LT hardtail, whereas the Ragley is more edgy.

What does this mean?

the_lecht_rocks

LOL – Pininfarina, I like…….
    Leap of faith, not if there’s a 1.5″ to 1.125″ HT coming with ISCG mounts 🙂
    My Ti456 takes a 2.4″ Big Betty on the rear – All I need…….

the_lecht_rocks

PID – I think it means it’s slacker up front and steeper at the rear.

brant
    Free Member

What does this mean?

It doesn’t have a head angle that makes people (who haven’t ridden it) go “that can’t possibly work”.

NotoriousP.I.D
    Free Member

Oh, I thought it meant it wear’s eyeliner and steals from the housekeeping money to buy meth.

NotoriousP.I.D
    Free Member

It doesn’t have a head angle that makes people (who haven’t ridden it) go “that can’t possibly work”.

Interesting, so it’s either v slack or v steep for a LT hardtail?

the_lecht_rocks

67.5 Deg HT with a Fox 32 I believe, hence slightly slack.

brant
    Free Member

Interesting, so it’s either v slack or v steep for a LT hardtail?

The Ragley has a 67.5deg head angle. The Lynksey has a 69deg.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

any idea on price for the ragley?

brant
    Free Member

any idea on price for the ragley?

Competitive with Ridgeline/Ti 456 etc.

the_lecht_rocks

Brant – PX a well used Ti456 then ? 🙂

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

i will take your 456 and you can get a ragley

heihei

Feeling slightly bummed that I bought a Ti 456 litterally a week before Brant left On-One, since as much as I love the 456, the Ragley sounds even more fun. Sh1t happens I guess.

TLR – interesting you can fit a 2.4″ Betty in the rear as I can’t fit a 2.4″ Nobby Nic in there!

vinnyeh

[/quote]the_lecht_rocks – Member
    Brant – PX a well used Ti456 then ?

That was my thought as well, but truth be told, I can’t really see the Ragley being that much better, at least at the level I ride at.

the_lecht_rocks

groundskeeperwilly – YGM

guitarhero
    Free Member

Brant, where in the evolutionary process (ti456-ragley ti) did you think “My edgy hardcore hardtail needs less standover”?
    As it stands, apart from a few fancy design features which will not enhance the ride, it looks a lot like a Cove Hummer with a longer top tube.
    Low slung top tubes are where it’s at with this type of bike. With 400+mm seat posts being the norm, the sizing seems stuck in the last decade.
    Why not have the seat tube on the first 2 sizes the same at 16″ and have a short and a long model. The 18″ is a gate, unfortunately

BillOddie

Why not have the seat tube on the first 2 sizes the same at 16″ and have a short and a long model. The 18″ is a gate, unfortunately

Because then people over 5ft8 won’t be able to ride up hill?

I have a 17.5in PA with huge amounts seat post out when climbing (410mm Thomson post).

brant
    Free Member

Brant, where in the evolutionary process (ti456-ragley ti) did you think “My edgy hardcore hardtail needs less standover”?

wha?

Oh you mean I didn’t bend the top tube? Well – seeing as the thing has ridiculous amounts of standover as it’s designed for use with a 400mm post (and a 31.6mm one at that), I didn’t think the loss of about a half inch was any issue whatsoever. Particularly as the way it rides with 140’s (or 130’s) is more stable at every speed than other bikes I’ve ridden with 150’s, means the front end starts off lower anyhow.

apart from a few fancy design features which will not enhance the ride, it looks a lot like a Cove Hummer with a longer top tube.

“fancy design features” I presume you mean the chainstay plate bit. And I’d say the opportunity to run nice big tyres and not have the chainstay chewed to bits if you get chainsuck do enhance the ride to a large degree.

2 lengths of all sizes is something we’re thinking about, but having had a variety of heights of people riding both the 16in and the 18in we’re all happy with how it’s riding.

I love my 18in one, and know that being 6’2″ my bikes never look as good as shorter riders ones 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

Because then people over 5ft8 won’t be able to ride up hill?

Really?

rj
    Free Member

I really liked the look of the Shedfire/Tweak/whatever it’s called this week, right up to the point where I saw the 23″ top tube. I’m a bit of a shortarse and it’s just going to be too long in common with almost every other hardtail I’ve looked at. The smalls almost seem to be aimed at taller folks who want it a bit more compact than us of a vertically challenged disposition. Guess it’ll have to be a small P7, then.

brant
    Free Member

The smalls almost seem to be aimed at taller folks who want it a bit more compact than us of a vertically challenged disposition.

Not at all. It’s designed for use with a 40/50mm stem and 9deg backsweep wide bars. Which takes a lot of length out compared to a 80/100mm less swept bar.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I really liked the look of the Shedfire/Tweak/whatever it’s called this week, right up to the point where I saw the 23″ top tube. I’m a bit of a shortarse and it’s just going to be too long in common with almost every other hardtail I’ve looked at.

I’m just 5’8″ and the top tube works for me just fine with the 50mm stem on the 16″ bike. The whole build of a bike needs taking into account when sizing, not just the tube lengths. Really you need to try it for yourself, where abouts are you rj?

shellac
    Free Member

Looks the nuts to me, 16″ and 18″. Some people eh….

Quick question then, I’m 6’2″ and seriously thinking about a Ragley (although I’m gonna have to wait for the steel one). Riding a Long Sovereign at the mo with a 40-50mm stem (cant remember which). 16 or 18? I should probably compare some numbers somewhere… cheers anyway, unfortunately I’m down south so nowhere near Calderdale!

brant
    Free Member

At 6’2″ – if you want to be able to stick the saddle up and ride up things, then an 18in.

If you want to push/stand up on climbs and just chuck it down, 16in.

shellac
    Free Member

Pre orders form yourselves or are they gonna available through stores / websites etc?

Steel still looking like late May?

brant
    Free Member

Pre orders form yourselves or are they gonna available through stores / websites etc?

I’m not retailing myself, no. They will be LBS focussed.

Steel still looking like late May?

I need to get an update. CEN testing.

shellac
    Free Member

I’ll keep an eye out then…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Lynskey Ridgeline -v- Shedfire Ragley Ti…’ is closed to new replies.