Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Lynskey Frame Warranty
  • slowboydickie

Their warranty policy has more holes than a teabag. His frame snapped while riding a steep roll in and they claim first he wasn’t using the bike for its intended purpose then later that they deemed him to have crashed it.

I guess some people try it on but my mate is 53, not a big chap and was genuinely just riding xc. Lynskey’s 5 year no quibble warranty is somewhat quibblesome.

You have been warned.

Cheers
    Rich

haggis1978

Lynskey in frame snap shocker?! Never!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got to be honest I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole.

Suggsey
    Free Member

That’s why I never pulled the trigger on any Ti frame I’ve seen and fancied with his name on!

scotroutes

That

I can appreciate that Lynskey maybe more more Ti frames than anyone else (so many are rebadged) but reports of breakages and poor quality seem to come up far too often compared with other Ti frame makers.

br
    Free Member

That’s why I never pulled the trigger on any Ti frame I’ve seen and fancied with his name on!

7th year currently for mine (456Ti), spent most of its life as my only bike – still rides brill.

haggis1978

I’ll sell him my Kent Eriksen if he’s interested. Best Ti frame builder on the planet. Going to be parting it out fairly soon i reckon.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ll sell him my Kent Eriksen if he’s interested. Best Ti frame builder on the planet. Going to be parting it out fairly soon i reckon.

😯 😯

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

PP is spot on.My litespeed LOM is 11 years old is great,

billyboy
    Free Member

My Ti 456 took about 18 months to crack. They did a warranty replacement but only after sending me back someone else’s frame which had also broken.
    At that time I was aware of three Ti Lynskey badged frames that had also broken.
    Not good.

Andy

7 year old Ti29er still going strong here 🙂

somafunk

haggis1978 : You’re selling a Kent Eriksen?, one question – Why?

actually 3 questions – What is it?, what size?

haggis1978

I’m considering selling it as i rarely use it. Its roughly a 19″. https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/stewno1/8239782660/

Designed around a 140/150 fork. BB30. 68 degree head angle. Built to take a bit of punishment yet still remarkably light.

hora
    Free Member

That Litespeed^ didn’t Lynskey make frames for Litespeed? (Open question as not sure)

jimw
    Free Member

That Litespeed^ didn’t Lynskey make frames for Litespeed? (Open question as not sure)

I believe the Lynskey brothers started Litespeed and then sold it. They then set up Lynskey a bit later on

Daffy

I’ve owned 8 titanium frames over the past 15 years and have never broken any of them.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Yup, Lynskey once owned Litespeed. I have had 2 Litespeed Pisgah frames, never cracked and brilliant bikes.
    Same as any other brand, some fail, some don’t. It’s not the frame failing that is a problem for many, it’s the customer service once an issue has occured. Lynskey’ sounds like theirs is terrible.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Same as the Kona warranty, they wouldn’t even inspect my frame

Kona warranty not worth the paper it’s written on

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Kona scandium is very thin and not fit for a mountain bike

haggis1978

Ive said this before on threads concerning broken Ti frames and i’ll say it again here. Our riding has developed to a point where we are riding off of things that people wouldnt have tried 15-20 years ago. Back then a Ti frame would have handled all of what was thrown at it but nowadays its just like any other material. if you push it hard enough it will break.

Having said that Lynskey frames do seem to break more often than other manufacturers but to counter that argument they do make a lot of frames for a lot of people so of course some will break. I still wouldnt touch one. Fully custom built frame is what you want with aircraft grade Titanium, none of this recycled Titanium as thats where problems occur. Then have the tubes specified so that it is built to last. Expensive? Yes. Better quality and longer shelf life than a generic Ti frame for £800? Depends on loads of factors but if youre using it for what it was designed for then i would say yes.

BadlyWiredDog

Same as any other brand, some fail, some don’t. It’s not the frame failing that is a problem for many, it’s the customer service once an issue has occured. Lynskey’ sounds like theirs is terrible.

They fixed my Ragley Ti when the downtube cracked at the headtube junction and told me why it had broken. Then they fixed it again as I was very unhappy with the initial repair and e-mailed Mark Lynskey direct. Shoot me, but I thought that was – in the end – pretty good customer service.

Obviously that’s just my personal experience of Lynskey via Hotlines and I have no idea of knowing whether a disproportionate number of Lynskey frames cracked compared to other manufacturers, but my advice to your mate would be to drop an e-mail direct to Mark Lynskey outlining the facts and pointing out how disappointed he is.

Also, I thought Lynskey’s warranty was lifetime:

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/warranty-registration/

Is it a Lynskey-branded frame or one they made for another brand? Either way, I would suggest that he follows it up in a reasonable and polite way. Where did the frame crack?

BadlyWiredDog

Having said that Lynskey frames do seem to break more often than other manufacturers but to counter that argument they do make a lot of frames for a lot of people so of course some will break. I still wouldnt touch one. Fully custom built frame is what you want with aircraft grade Titanium, none of this recycled Titanium as thats where problems occur.

I was kind of intrigued by the idea that Lynskey uses ‘recycled titanium’ so I had a bit of a google to find out if that was really the case.

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/pro650-fs-140-xt.html

Under frame details it says, and I quote:

‘Fully tuned 3V/2.5AL aerospace grade titanium tubeset for stiffness, stability, precise handling, durability and comfort.’

So that seems to be aircraft grade?

jonnyseven

Personal experience of Lynskey was good. Ti456 cracked at the headtube / downtube junction. On one said it was a fail and not my less than subtle style of riding – sent it back and it took a while but it came back with slightly different shaped tubing, still going strong – touch wood! One one were helpful when we realised how long the delay might be and did me a deal on a steel evo to keep me going. Understood that the frame has a lifetime (10yr) warranty.
    BTW I have cracked 3 alloy frames so don’t have an issue with Ti

somafunk

haggis1978: Phew……That’s 3″ too large for me, very very nice though.

billyboulders
    Free Member

My Lynskey built Ragley also cracked and was repaired in a reasonable time and with no quibble, its been fine ever since. Contrary to some other comments above I’m very happy with the service I received from Lynskey (via the importer, Hotlines) A complete contrast to the woefully poor service I received when I had the misfortune to have to deal with the warranty department of a certain Halifax based fruity bike company for example.

It would be a sad day that I ever had to consider replacing the Ragger but if that day does come I wouldn’t hesitate to get a Lynskey built frame again.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

That Kona scandium was a joke.people broke those frames just XC racing.Very light was warned not to buy one by a Kona dealer.There Ti were great years ago.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

That Kona scandium was a joke.people broke those frames just XC racing.Very light was warned not to buy one by a Kona dealer.

Can’t be true. Kona just looked at a couple of pics of mine and assured me (via the shop) that they had had No problems whatsoever with that frame and the failure at the end of a butted section on the downtube was crash damage Despite the lack of any other damage

Kona scandium is absolutely fit for purpose and not just some tin foil on the way to the recycling bin

Kona are also very trustworthy and will go the extra mile to check their products are designed with care and support their customers when the product fails

haggis1978

Didnt mean to imply that Lynskey werent using aerospace grade Ti. I was just meaning Ti builders in general.

Point i was trying to make was that Lynskey are a large volume producer of Ti frames and as such there must be breakages. We’re also all a bit gnarlier than we were 15 years ago and hence frames are going to break. Add that to the power of the internet and better global communications means that we’re more likely to hear if someones frame fails as well.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Lynskey Frame Warranty’ is closed to new replies.