Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • lynch or cronenberg?
  • racefaceec90

who would you vote for between them as greatest director?

david lynch would just take the win for me,but not by much tbh as david cronenberg has done some amazing weird/surreal/horrible films also.

Nick

Yeah Lynch, for Mulholland Drive if nothing else.

Garry_Lager

David Lynch for me though I’ve seen all his films and prob less than half of Cronenberg’s.

Lynch has the stronger ouevre, although he’s made less films. Never put out anything bad – even his weakest stuff is pretty cool, always watchable and interesting whereas Cronenberg has dished up the occasional biscuit-arsed film. Not even that really, just he’s made a few routine efforts wheras a Lynch film always seems like an event. Get the impression that Lynch is the creative force behind the entirety of his films – is he not frequently the writer, does the screenplay, big influence on the music etc whereas Cronenberg often ‘just’ directs?

David Lynch also made Inland Empire and got it released – has Cronenberg ever baldly shown his arse in the same way? That film is amazing – actually never seen anything like it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tough…Lynch for pure genius but he is hit and miss IMO (I thought MD was guff!).

Cronenberg makes more accessible films but still with a fantastic dark edge.

I suppose they are quite different in that way, whether intentional or not.

EDIT had a look at their cvs…I’ve only seen the more successful of Cronenbergs films.

noteeth
    Free Member

Lynch, all the way.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Lynch for me. Especially with his other stuff like Twin Peaks and albums.

AlexSimon

Blimey – I just looked at their filmographies and I couldn’t believe Crash was 1996! It seems just a few years ago.

I struggle with some output from both of them to be honest.
    But also loved some.

kimbers

vs

Love them both tbh lynch possibly edges it but then cronenbergs stuff with clive barker ….
    and crash is brilliant

its just a shame that there are so few directors like them/ studios willing to back their kind of work

still just imagine what couldve been….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U[/video]

Garry_Lager

It’s a shame Lynch thinks Dune is such a failure when so many people love it. He seldom discusses it and when he does he sounds in pain. The final cut shenanigans seem to have really killed the film for him.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Lynch.
    The twin peaks stuff is forgettable but he made The Elephant Man which is a masterpiece.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Much prefer Lynch. He often makes me feel like I’m being poked in the brain with a stick, which l like. The eye/ear is constantly roaming around the scene. Generally way more stimulating.

kimbers

you take that back about Twin peaks

the Blu Ray is out soon with new footage it is after all 25 years later….
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1el0nV4omTY[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

No not a fan of twin peaks, (but then I’m not a fan of blade runner either, the aficionado’s favourite)
    With Cronenburg it always feels like the film is purely for satisfying his own sexual peccadilloes not the viewers pleasure, too much narcissism.

Nick

Oh and if you haven’t seen The Straight Story you really should.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Lynch, even if he’d only made Blue Velvet and then just fiddled with his quiff for 30 years.

Cronenberg is a good and interesting director but, for me, doesn’t have the same degree of (barking) vision.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Lynch. Utterly disturbing in so many films.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Lynch of course. For Eraserhead, Elly Man, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks etc and yes, even Straight Story. And he turns out some good music these days too.
    I like Krony too, but he’s not in the same ballpark.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Lynch by far.

Lynch thinks Dune is such a failure

He’s right – it’s utter shit. The most wooden acting by everyone involved and what appears to be a reliance on special effects of big wiggly worms and a “floating fat man” to carry a weak effort. Of course the film of a book is rarely as good as the book, but it’s like nobody could be bothered to try.

noteeth
    Free Member

Good to see the STW Lynch mob in full effect. 🙂

Whatever his projects, he’s always interesting.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘lynch or cronenberg?’ is closed to new replies.