• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lurcher vs Scandal weight?
  • slackman99
    Free Member

I’m in the process of trying to lighten up the main bike.

I’ve gone against the general consensus of the n+1 bike approach and am selling off the +1 part to fund the lightening exercise.

I’m looking to get my hands on either a Lurcher or Scandal 19.5 inch (difficult to find now).

What is the real world weight difference between the two? I’ve heard there’s not much in it but can’t actually find a weight for the Scandal.

The scandal would mean most of my existing components would fit which would save some money.

epicyclo

I can’t find the pic for proof, but I’m pretty sure that my On-One Scandal frame weighed 1,360gms.

Medium, early model.

slackman99
    Free Member

Thanks Epi. I think the early models were actually scandium rather than bog standard aluminium. That’s a light frame at under 1400grms!

skellnonch
    Free Member

I have both, not a lot between the 2 – the lurcher is a ‘nicer’ ride IMO

epicyclo

skellnonch – Member
    I have both, not a lot between the 2 – the lurcher is a ‘nicer’ ride IMO

Then it must be very nice indeed. 🙂

nuke

My Scandal 29er v2 29er came in at just under 4lb…very similar to the Lurcher and I couldn’t see the point in paying extra. Dirty Harry is frame to choose if you’re after weight saving over the Scandal imo

Andy

Out of curiosity I weighed a couple on my Kitchen scales and the weights were:

19.5″ mk1 scandal 1 1/8″ steerer sliding drop outs 1680gms
    19.5″ mk2 scandal tapered steerer & geared swap out drop outs 1820gms

epicyclo

Mine has the track ends, so it looks like there’s a wee penalty for sliders.

For comparison, I have a Kona Scandium frame with sliders and it’s 1,860gms.

D0NK

Dirty Harry is frame to choose if you’re after weight saving over the Scandal imo

slightly different geometries tho aren’t they?

Not seen any “pro” reviews of the harry and only 1 owner review. ANyone ridden scandal/lurcher and a DH?

slackman99
    Free Member

Andy that’s ideal. So looks like a V1 Scandal is about 100grms more than a Lurcher and the V2 a few hundred grams.

Much as is like a Lurcher, in hoping I might find a Scandal cheap.

Andy

Yeah epicyclo sorry the mk1 is the “track end” horizontal version with the built in mech hanger. I much preferred the mk1 as it was a lot let harsh with a 27.2 seat post and just seamed to ride less harshly overal.

In addition to the bigger head and seat tubes on the mk2 it had those big extra long chainring bolts holding the swap out drop outs in place. I guess that’s were the weight is.

I ended up selling both for a Mariachi, which was a much more comfy ride overall.

nuke

slightly different geometries tho aren’t they?

Barely, DH is slightly longer eTT for similar frame size. iirc DH very similar geometry to niner air 9. End of day they’re all xc bikes so not much difference between

slackman99
    Free Member

Just looking at the weights above again, it appears that the V2 Scandal is only 80grms less than the new Parkwood (admittedly that’s the 1900grm claimed weight).

So really looks like i’d be after either the Lurcher or a V1 Scandal (or a DH)

DanW
    Free Member

My vert dropout medium Scandal is around 1650g. Not heavy but not all that light either. Would buy a 1100g Chinese frame if weight was important rather than an On-One…

slackman99
    Free Member

I have been thinking about a Chinese frame. I was originally thinking about running SS so horiz dropouts would have been preferred. I could run a tensioner if it came to it.

Most of the Chinese frames come in at around the same price as the Lurcher, but with the chance of customs fees on top of that. They also seem to have short ETTs for the size (or at least the cheaper ones do).

I have a look on ebay. Maybe someone on here has a Scandal or Lurcher in 19.5 hanging up in their shed they’d like to pass on 🙂

(off to search ebay before the missus gets up 🙂 )

DanW
    Free Member

If I were buying again then I buy from Carbonality. Lots of people seem very happy with their frames. If 26 is your bag then they used to have sub 1kg frames. Around 1150g seems like the lightest now in all wheel sizes at the mo though. I don’t think anyone I’ve come across has been hit for import duties either.

I was convinced I wanted Horizontal dropouts but when the Scandal I have came up for sale with vertical dropouts I couldn’t resist and actually get on very well with the Yess tensioner. If you go for a BB30 Chinese frame then you have the option for an EBB with 24mm spindle cranks if you really wanted.

The ETT is a big deceptive too some times since frames of different STA’s and headtube lengths but the same ETT measurement will not fit the same. You have to take the full geo in to account…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lurcher vs Scandal weight?’ is closed to new replies.