Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lupine Edison, can I use the battery to power a led?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

I’m using a cloudy HID bulb at the mo and a replacement is £90-£100. Just so as I know my options, can I run a different bulb upfront? I realise the ballast/shell will need to change as well.

snaps
    Free Member

Yes – but the voltage will determine the type of driver needed.

therealhoops
    Free Member

driver? I’m new to leds

z1ppy

you can apparently open up the bulb and clean off the ‘cloudy-ness” if you want & re-seal it afterwards… I bought a P7 torch, much much better than my Edison 5.

brassneck

Look up a thread or two – I have an iBlaast II from Nightlightning, it’s prgrammable from 12 – 20v so should be fine (higher voltages are better in my experiance, 14.4 or 13.2 just fine).

BigJohn

Its easy to cut the glue on the front of the HiD bulb and wipe off the white stuff with an ear bud. Don’t need to glue it back on if theres a big rubber ring holding it all together.

Don’t touch the centre element. I did the 3rd time I cleaned my bulb.

So now I’ve got a Lumicycle LED. Brilliant and it will work with different voltages. Phone them and ask.

therealhoops
    Free Member

taking an Edison apart…how? looks a bit scarey to me

BigJohn

The HiD bulbs tend to be a Welch Alleyn element (enclosed in sealed glass) which is about 10mm x 2mm bonded into a halogen MR11 style housing. The big bulb is not pressurised so if it looks like a standard halogen, just whip the front glass off.

BigJohn

If you just use a craft knife around the front glass you will probably see that’s how it was put on in the first place. Its like shucking an oyster. Some people say use heat resistant glue to put it back, I say just put the rubber ring back on. Worth a go – it saves you about £100 and it should be good as new.

The white deposits are sort of powdery and you don’t need spirits etc to wipe them off.

molgrips
    Free Member

a P7 torch, much much better than my Edison 5.

Sounds like you had an old Edison with a near gone bulb and a broken full beam wire. My mate had this, sold them on to me and got a hope LED instead, thinking it was better. Hah! I fixed it, they are quite fabulous. Specially when you have two 🙂

therealhoops
    Free Member

I have now learnt how to take the front off, (dam that’s a small grub screw). I’m a bit nervous about taking the glass off.

M10P002 is the bulb

BigJohn

The top 3 items are ballasts, not bulbs.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I’ve just followed BigJohn’s advice and COCK ME!!!!!!
    whiteness removed from glass/beam deflector and I now have my full complement of 900 LUMENS!!!!

huuuuuuggggggggeeeeee thank you BigJohn for saving me about £100

BigJohn

My pleasure.

mud-dodger
    Free Member

whilst on the subject…
    is it possible to get an LED for a passubio xc ? looking to get LED this year and can’t see this bulb lasing another year

z1ppy

Sounds like you had an old Edison with a near gone bulb and a broken full beam wire. My mate had this, sold them on to me and got a hope LED instead

I have indeed got an old 5 with a broken main beam, though I was under the impression it may be the switch @ fault. £90 for a new one is far too steep. care to expand on how you fixed you mates?
    Old & bust it may be, the p7 still rocks compared to the HIDs & led lights, even before you know the price difference

molgrips
    Free Member

Strip all the outer insulation off the wires, you’ll see three in there. Two thick ones which are the power, and a tiny thin one which carries the full beam signal. This will be broken somewhere – replace it and you’re laughing.

I still don’t believe a P7 is brighter than an Edison in good condition. I need proof.

z1ppy

cheers, as the edison died completely last night (glows nicely but doesn’t put out any light) I might as well try this.

Considering I ride with any number of guys with the new Hope/Lupine LED lights, I won’t try to convince you about the P7, there ace it’s a fact.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Edison update – COCK! I couldn’t find a ring suitable for retaining the front glass so decided to use a bit of superglue. It’s melting point is 187degsC so why the fudge not I thought…….DONT USE SUPERGLUE The glass is nicely in place but it causes the reflector to go brown! I’m reluctantly getting a new bulb 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ll notice the difference, new bulbs are brighter than old ones even without white stuff.

Re P7s vs Lupines, only the £750 Lupine LEDs are brighter in terms of lumens than the Edisons were. The more sensible priced ones (can’t remember if it’s Betty or Wilma) are not as bright but Lupine reckon more usable and they are definitely more reliable.

frosty
    Free Member

Sorry to reignite an old post. Anyone know where I can buy a new bulb for the edison 5? And any special instructions to get the old one out? What size is that tiny grub screw and do i need to undo it to get at the bulb?

Thanks.

z1ppy

I think you'll need to contact zyro & they'll fit it for you. Mine turned out to have a broken main beam control wire (Molegrips advise is sound if you've lost your main beam) but also a broken filament. Will be sticking with my 2 x P7's I reckon.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lupine Edison, can I use the battery to power a led?’ is closed to new replies.