• This topic has 50 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Lunch ideas – Im getting fat
  • spooked
    Free Member

Wierd post possibly but im slowly increasing my waistline and want to lose a bit of weight. My diet is pretty appalling with lots of Mcdonalds and bread involved.

Quite fancy eating a bit cleaner but am stuck for some ideas for my lunches. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for food that is quick simple and easy to prepare but taste good?

Thanks for any ideas!

somouk
    Free Member

Depends what you like, most would have a salad and add some chicken or lean meat.

For me that doesn’t work as I hate salad so I normally just have some chicken tikka or something similar that I cook the night before.

midlifecrashes

Do without lunch. You won’t die. You will get hungry, this is a necessary part of losing weight.

jimjam
    Free Member

Tuna with some Tilda rice.

2 mins in the microwave. Very tasty.

My diet is pretty appalling with lots of Mcdonalds and bread involved.

Try and quit bread for a week. If you’re anything like me, when you eat it again you’ll feel like someone’s rapidly inflating you to 200psi from the inside.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

soup

badnewz
    Free Member

Chap in my office cooks himself all his weekly meals at home and puts them in the fridge at work. Healthy stuff like pasta and salmon etc.

djambo
    Free Member

For me its usually:

– Left overs from the night before (homemade so I know whats in it). I always make a little extra if I know I need lunch for work the next day
    – Salad chop box form canteen (leaves, chicken, cous cous & four veg)
    – Sandwich when the hunger really comes knocking

I actively avoid carrying cash to reduce the temptation of me buying junk to eat throughout the day

bearnecessities

Put some prawns in sun for a week.

Consume prawns.

Hey-presto!

lunge

Homemade soup, I make a big batch on a Sunday and it feeds me for a week.
    Wholemeal pasta with some kind of sauce, a basic tomato sauce with some chicken is easy to make, healthy and tastes good.
    Risotto, same as the above, easy to make in a big batch and lasts the week.

If you don’t want to make it in advance, sandwiches are fine but just pick wholemeal bread and a sensible filling. Also, don’t have crisps, have an apple or 2.

Solo
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    You will get hungry, this is a necessary part of losing weight.

😆

mogrim

I generally make more dinner, then reheat at work. As it’s all home-cooked I know what’s in it. Today is chilli con carne 🙂

lerk
    Free Member

Microwave rice and a tin of some variety of seafood for me too (although the 250g packs are quite sustaining, check the nutrition info for a full packet 😉 )… The mini packs of rice are only available in plain, so a bit of sauce to add works wonders!

jimjam
    Free Member

erk – Member

Microwave rice and a tin of some variety of seafood for me too (although the 250g packs are quite sustaining,

Oh yeah you’ll get three servings out of a bag. Forgot to say.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I generally make more dinner, then reheat at work. As it’s all home-cooked I know what’s in it. Today is chilli con carne

+1

Or some of the posh microwave quinoa or lentil based meals from the supermarket. £2 seems like a lot when you buy it (compared to 10p noodles), but it’s no more than a sandwich and pretty healthy. Those or ‘super noodles’, but the proper ones from the asian isle at the supermarket, not as healthy, but quick, easy, filing and no where near as bad as a shop bought sandwich, of Macy D’s.

Either that or go for a ride, I find if I ride I’m not hungry so an hour on the road bike, a couple of apples and bananas on the go, some protein (chicken salad) when i get back to my desk and I’m good for the afternoon.

spooked
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t eat fish and can’t stand salad. I’m sensing an uphill struggle 😀

nickc

As this has all the hallmarks of a food/weightloss thread, and therefore an argument between Solo/Molly, shall I get the popcorn* in?

*plain obvs… 😆

jimdubleyou

+1 for Soup.

If you can’t reheat your own at work, all of the chain sandwich shops (e.g. Pret, EAT) do it now.

BillMC

Soup. I made a great one the other day: beetroot, onion, couple of potatoes, garlic, all home grown. Just boiled it up (no fat) and blitzed it into a soup. It fed me for 3 days and no weight gain. I have a friend who eats bread with every meal, it has made him into a rather large (industrial?) unit. Beware.

blader1611
    Free Member

Be warned about some of those tilda rice microwave jobs as the curry one they do iirc is a 1000 calories a satchet!!! Pretty sure they pack it with ghee so that is very unlikely to help your waistline.

Solo
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    As this has all the hallmarks of a food/weightloss thread, and therefore an argument between Solo/Molly, shall I get the popcorn* in?
    *plain obvs… 🙂

😆

I had hoped folk round-ear might have noticed I don’t do that really, anymore. Imv there’s really no point to bickering about nutrition, on the webs.
    And the pay sucks!
    😀

blader1611
    Free Member

I agree with Solo, best just to use some common sense rather than forums full of “bread will kill you” type people.

Cougar

I make an extra portion of food at teatime and stick it in the fridge for lunch the following day. I then spend every morning for the next week doing an impression of the little girl in the VW viral advert as I remember to pick it up only when I’m pulling into the car park at work.

Consequently, my lunch is usually a pasta ‘n’ sauce affair out of a packet.

mogrim

Apart from chilli pretty much any stew / curry type food (ie protein+veg floating in a liquid) is pretty good for reheating. If you want to lose weight you can always ditch the rice or bread you might normally have as an accompaniment.

Things to avoid:
    Pies generally don’t reheat that well, the pastry goes soggy.
    Anything delicate

binners

Just be fat and happy. Does she look miserable to you?

Cougar

Pies generally don’t reheat that well, the pastry goes soggy.

You fool, that’s what gravy is for.

slowoldman

Try and quit bread for a week

Just going out on a limb here, but I think I’d cut out the McDonalds first.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

spooked – Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t eat fish and can’t stand salad. I’m sensing an uphill struggle

Binners? Is that you?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Why not eat fish like smoked haddock or a smoked salmon bagel with soft ”light” cream cheese.

I swear Quorn mince is tastier than the lamb or beef mince they shove out in the supermarkets.

Oh and MacDonalds is packed full of sugar which will make it hard for you to give up as it’s addictive amounts we’re talking if you’re used to it every week or more.

please look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbf_pmT6duA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIpFPhc4nHw

I gave up McDonalds 13years ago after finding a curly hair within my box of nuggets.
    But have had oddly enough 4 Mcdees within the last year so guess my boycotting them for life has now failed.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Home made cous cous with peppers, onion and all sorts of tasty veg outta the home allotment is reet tastyified, add chilli flakes or worcester sauce for added zing.

loadsa healthy food out there. creamy spelt is also tasty and wholesome, not much needed to fulfil all your massive stomach size needs.

benp1

Are you looking to make lunch yourself?

Or buy it from somewhere healthier?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I get bored easily so change my lunches quite often – into Ansley Harriot Cous Cous at the moment – it’s cheap too – 50p a packet in my local Morrisons at the moment – I take a packet to work with me with a chicken breast I cooked the night before – a whole packet (which is meant to be 2 servings) is quite filling, especially with the chicken is 380cals, 3.4g of fat, 72g of carbs and 13g of Protein.

Just watch the salt content as it’s on the high side – but compared to McD’s positively negligible.

It takes 5 mins to make, actually it take about 30 seconds plus the time to boil a kettle and 4 mins of letting it sit, there’s loads of flavours but you can mix in any herb or spice you fancy when it’s dry.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I made a pretty tasty chorizo and butterbean stew the other day, that could easily be re-heated at work.

Its literally a chorizo sausage slice and fried with 2x sliced red onions. Teaspoon of smoked paprika, tin of chopped toms and tin of butterbeans then simmer the lot for 20 mins. Just before serving I wilted some spinach through it just to add a bit more veg.

cheese@4p

I lost a fair bit of weight just by not eating crisps with lunch every day.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Errrmmm! WTAF! That is simply sacrilegious, no crisps!? 😯

spooked
    Free Member

Ive just tucked into some Tilda rice with a cooked chicken breast. Lovely.

Im on the road and im lucky to get lunch subsidised by my work which means ive been stuffing myself with chocolate and all sorts.

Im planning to make some wraps and stuff. Just been to asda and bought some of the stuff mentioned above.

Appreciate the comments and suggestions. Im rubbish at ideas for cooking to be honest.

binners

Have you thought of trying the Marlboro red and cocaine diet?

blader1611
    Free Member

binners – should this be supplemented with some horizontal jogging with a hooker (just for exercise)?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Quick look through to see if anybody hs mentioned it yet. Nope.

5:2 diet. It works.

Here

mos

You can still go to McDonalds, just pay attention to the cals of what you’re eating.
    Quarter cheese meal (reg) with fries & coke 1025 Kcal.
    6 chicken nuggets meal (reg) with fries & diet coke 600 Kcal.

trailhound101

+1 for the cutting out crisps and chocky bars.
    Take a packed lunch everyday consisting of home-made-bread sarnie with a low cal cuppa-soup and some fruit.
    Leave wallet at home so can’t snack when the boredom hits and I’ve lost 1.5 kg in 2 weeks. Not that I’m overweight (BMI was 24 at the company medical 2 weeks ago), but my LDL and triglycerides are above the upper limit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Lunch ideas – Im getting fat’ is closed to new replies.