Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lumicycle LED3 XPG – any reviews?
  • Alex

A search didn’t bring up as much as expected. I’m retiring my three year old Vision-4 for commuting duties, and the Lumi’s look a sound replacement.

I’m interested in good (not insane) power output, < £300, reliability, 3hr+ run time and – if possible – UK M/F but not one man outfits.

I see the Lumi won the recent What MTB test. I’ve had various lumi lights over the years, the last one being the HID. But no experience of anything since then, so reviews welcome.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I’ve got one, prior to that I had the older 4 led but left it in a car park (doh!).

Its all good, extremely bright, good range of modes, robust design. Beam is narrowish though for twisty trails where you need to see right and left but probably the same as other lights anyway. Modes take a little getting used too with the flick switch but once you do its good to have the options.

Not sure what else to say, it works great!

montylikesbeer

You have to look at Trouties lumen liberator, I have a MK1 and its a minter never ever let me down (he is on Mk3 now)

Also Chris (Troutie) is a great bloke to deal with.

With the quality of what he produces, home or shed made does not come into it at all.

stumpy01

A couple of yrs ago at the D2D when Lumi were sponsoring it, a mate managed to blag an LED3 head unit to trial with his Lumi battery (he was using halogens at the time).

The unit appeared well made, battery life was good (as he has the mahoosive Lumi endurance battery) and he reckoned they were plenty bright enough.

I’ve also got Lumi lights and have always have great customer service from them. I’d say if you don’t mind a separate battery, then you could do a lot worse than the Lumicycles.

Mowgli
    Free Member

not one man outfits

May I ask why? You’ll get a better product with more up-to-date components and performance, lower price and much better customer service if you buy off Trout as opposed to one of the big companies.

Dave
    Free Member

I reviewed it in issue 61 or 62. It was also one of my Editors choice items.

Great light, like it a lot.

Alex

Thanks all. I don’t think I read that one yet Dave… it’s probably in the stack of unread mags. Will look tonight.

No problem with one man outfits and from what I’ve seen the lights look well engineered and offer good output, but I just want a mainstream offering for the (9 months) of the year I ride with lights.

Lumi aren’t a huge company, but I know they will be there next winter and the one after. The thing with one man firms is – great as they are and obviously care about their products – easy to go and do something else. That’s my rationale, YMMV etc 😉

ourmaninthenorth

I have the previous LED3 (i.e. non-XPG), which I use off road, but mainly on the road commuting.

Great build, plenty of light (even via a spot beam) and excellent run time with the 5.2 battery (I charge it once a week – my commute is an hour each way ridden at least 3 times a week with other riding).

I’d say the flood beam would be better for offroading, and the option of the twin headlamp mounting on the pro battery is ace.

sam_underhill

+1 for for the LED3 here. I’m considering taking the upgrade path next winter, which will probably mean a squillion lumens by then. But as it is it has been faultless since I bought it pretty much as they introduced it. modes work really well, backed up by the excellent service from Lumi. Buy one.

Alex

Thanks all.

pistola
    Free Member

I have a LED3 XPG and like it a lot. Good spread of light and, once you get used to the sequence of the toggle switch, very easy to use. Looks well made too. Recommended.

dlr

I have one, impressed so far, got the bigger battery pack for an extra £40 at the time, possibly overkill though as the last charge lasted 11 hours of actual riding time due to only using max power on fast singletrack and lowering for fireroads etc. I use it helmet mounted which is ok, could possibly be bit tighter beam wise, they have released a flood one which would work well on the bars although would need a seperate helmet light for distance

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve been running an XPG triple for about three or four months now and really like it. I wouldn’t say the beam was narrow, it’s actually quite a lot broader than my home-brew Cutter quads and a good compromise between throw and spread ime. I like having a battery level gauge, which seems to work just fine, and while the instructions for the switching sequence seem complicated when you read through them, in use it all works very intuitively.

Connector seems secure, though I did manage to pull it out on a fast descent last night – velcro lead to the stem usually – but that was basically user error. I think it’s really good light, no issues so far and makes sense if you already have a compatible Lumi battery. Yes, you could do brighter and cheaper as a home brew, but I can’t be arsed at the moment.

Oh, and run time is good, 3 hours plus with the smaller battery if you’re sensible about which levels you use, very easy to toggle up and down according to need.

Alex

Bought one 🙂 Called them up first. Very nice people to buy from as well. This is for the bars. Friend has one and I have to say I was very impressed on the Tues night ride. I do like the 3min Boost idea as well.

k-sugden
    Free Member

I have these http://www.ledgendlights.co.uk/html/quad.html with a wide very impressed light well made comparatively cheep more than enough light for any ride.

gixer.john
    Free Member

I got an LED3 with two 2.6 batteries in 2009, works perfectly with excellent battery life. Use it on and off road.

Would reccomend.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Had one for a couple of weeks now & it’s an excellent light. I went for the bottle battery as I can’t be bothered to strap a bag on the stem. Bit of overkill I suppose but at least I won’t run out of power. I share your concern about backup-I bought a HID light from The Rush who promptly went bust. Lumi support is superb.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lumicycle LED3 XPG – any reviews?’ is closed to new replies.