Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lukewarm shower
  • keppoch

I have a surface mounted shower fed by a combi boiler. It used to go too hot for comfort but recently it only makes it to lukewarm. Given that the taps still get very hot water I am guessing there is a fault with the shower unit. Am I right?

And if I am right any recommendations on what to buy, the unit at the minute is a 12+ year old Mira so I am guessing anything would be at least as good. Will probably replace the shower head at the same time, the current one is a bit erm, crusty.

spooky_b329

Is it really fed by the combi, or is it an electric shower with buttons on the front? And is it thermostatic/temperature regulating?

keppoch

Yes it is definitely fed by the combi boiler and not electric.

I not too sure how I could tell if it is thermostatic but certainly once you set the temperature you don’t need to fiddle with it so I guess so. Been there 12+ years so not unreasonable to think it might have broken.

z1ppy

Sounds like your shower has died, why would “anything would be at least as good” as your old Mira? We’ve an overhead Mira unit with separate hose (4years old), and would happily buy another, especially if they last 12 years.

righog
    Free Member

First thing I would do is remove the thermostatic cartridge and clean it out, if this does not work, you can usually buy just the cartridge without changing the full shower, although you may want to do this if it is an older model. If it is surface mounted and the pipes are at the regulation 150 mm centers it is a really easy thing to do.

This will not be your model but you will get the idea from this vid ( You can get away without taking it off the wall usually)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL7P9jBymPM[/video]

keppoch

Ah having just had a shower it is not a Mira it is a Triton Combi HP. Fair point it lasted well.

It has been lukewarm and tolerable for about two months but this mornings shower was erm, cooler 😆

So it looks like although it is old I could buy another just the same. Seems to make sense if I have been happy with it and also because having taken the cover off it the holes in the tiles are not pretty.

Having checked the price on cartridge versus whole shower I reckon the faff of gettting it off to replace the cartridge £80 only to need to replace the whole unit means I might as well go that route from the off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lukewarm shower’ is closed to new replies.