Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Luggage for lightweight touring
  • PMK2060

I am planning on doing some lightweight touring next year. Stopping in B&B’s rather than camping so i will only be carrying a few clothes & tools really.

I am not sure whether to buy a bikepacking saddlebag or a trunk bag. I will be using my boardman cx. Which do you think will be the best option?

scotroutes

Either will be fine. I’ve used an Ortlieb trunk bag in the past but use a Revelation Viscacha saddle bag these days. The latter obviously avoids the weight of a rack.

dknwhy

Bikepacking luggage for me. This had camping kit too so you can do away with the dry bag on the bars.

IMAG0312 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

ampthill

I’d fit a rack as you can…..

Then either Panniers of a bag strapped on it

jameso

Either works well. I’ve used a rack-pack with a bar bag and it’s useful in a bike-manbag kind of way but you’ll get more stuff in a bikepacking pack. Bikepacking gear like that ^ is light and adaptable but it can be slower to access kit in a seatpack. Depends whether low weight and speed is your priority, or just a nice ride with minimal faff during stops. Keeping a camera, wallet etc easily to hand can be very useful in the end.

PMK2060

Thanks for the replies. Think I will use saddlebag and then a tri bag for phone etc.

nedrapier

A half way house is something like the Carradice SQR Tour Slim. Doesn’t rely on being packed tight to retain its shape and non wagginess. Easy on/off the bike, easy access inside, waterproof, does a nice job as a mudguard if you’re caught without.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Well happy with the Alpkit made-to-measure Stingray frame bag I got a couple of years ago – one of these; I can get a surprisingly good amount of stuff inside it, and so far the bag is showing absolutely no signs of wear and tear. Use it on a Cotic Roadrat.

harvey
    Free Member

my wife and i are just back from a week in west cork, doing just that. we each use a medium sized dry bag. squeeze the air out and put it in a very old pannier or strap to the back of saddle, you can then take the dry bag into the bnb/hotel it is a brilliant way to travel light and tour an area. stay in good places and eat good food !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Luggage for lightweight touring’ is closed to new replies.