Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Ludicrous price of firearms…
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Figures for number of shotguns stolen or misappropiated

Whilst I agree completely that the theft of shotguns is statistically low, those figures reflect the shotguns which were actually stolen.

If we can assume that all those who reported their gun as stolen to the police had actually been storing it in their gunsafe (otherwise they would be pretty silly reporting it), then it’s no wonder the figures for actual theft are low. I’d be impressed if anyone could get into our safe before the police arrived.

However, what that doesn’t show, is the number of idiots who decide to indulge in a spot of late night home shopping after it gets round the local area that guns are spotted regularly being taken into the house. Successful or not in their adventures, it’s not pleasant being in the house when it happens.

All i’m saying is that if there is somewhere you can keep your guns other than your family home, then it’s better that they are kept there. If you can’t find anywhere else, then usual rules of common sense apply (not arriving home wearing shooting gear, no gunslips etc etc).

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Why would I keep my guns at a gun club, when I can’t get access to them at four in the morning to go deer stalking 🙄

its a riduculous proposition, on the basis of a tiny chance that someone might break in – and as regards the chance of being burgled while in the house – I’d strongly suggest that a potential burgler would be looking to seal his own place in the Darwin awards by choosing to do this in an area where guns are spotted regularly being taken into the house.

Back ot that sense of proportion – shotguns were recorded as being the weapon used in only three percent of incidents of gun crime (52% air weapons, pistols 19%, 15% replica weapons, 6% Unidentified, rifles only 0.1% of recorded gun crime)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member
    Cougar

I’d strongly suggest that a potential burgler would be looking to seal his own place in the Darwin awards by choosing to do this in an area where guns are spotted regularly being taken into the house.

I think the point was more that potential burglars might have considered this when selecting their house-breaking equipment. To wit, in the unlikely event that you’re targeted, it’s might not be by the usual spotty teenager looking for pocketable electronics to sell for his next wrap.

It does sound like a highly unlikely occurrence, mind.

nealglover
    Free Member

only bore/chamber diameters are dealt with in thousands of an inch and the difference between an in-proof and out of proof chamber is miniscule.
    or was that an uneducated guess?

It would seem to be a fairly educated guess I reckon.

Judging by the fact that the OP was able to choose from three different shotguns under £80 (and one under £50) in the same shop.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It would seem to be a fairly educated guess I reckon.

Judging by the fact that the OP was able to choose from three different shotguns under £80 (and one under £50) in the same shop.

and an educated guess (if you had used a Baikal) would tell you that a russian side by side or single barrel was in the “couldn’t give them away” category just like the russian made zenit cameras.
    cheap subsidised labour and low quality materials doesn’t necessarily make a quality product

and going back to your original statement:

Guns are remarkably simple, easy to machine items on the whole. Not really surprising that they can be made and sold for buttons?

you could apply that to £80 drug dealer pavement full-suss ‘bikes’ because a Baikal is of similar quality.
    we all know a decent hardtail costs at least 1k 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

Do they sell pump action at that price? Benneli M4 would be good whether they are 2nd or 3rd hand whatever for shooting zombies judging by the strength of the drugs nowadays …

godzilla
    Free Member

Dont be dissing the Baikal, my 410 Huspower was a wicked gun, ive had pump action’s for sub £100 too, ive seen people give guns away in the classifieds on Pigeon Watch, and i mean litraly givein.

nealglover
    Free Member

Who mentioned anything about quality.

(It wasn’t my statement, it was coffeeking.)

you could apply that to £80 drug dealer pavement full-suss ‘bikes’ because a Baikal is of similar quality.
    we all know a decent hardtail costs at least 1k

Quite right, you could.

Although again, nobody said anything about quality or relative value.

Just a comment about the price of certain guns.

In a similar way as you could quite correctly say….

“you can buy a bike for £79”

It might be shit, but it’s still a bike.

Cougar

What you’re saying then is, he’s bought a Gun Shaped Object?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Guns are remarkably simple, easy to machine items on the whole.

it was this statement i had issue with, they are not, as tolerances have to be measured with a micrometer with the potential for disaster if they are not manufactured to those tolerances.

apologies for misappropriating the quote.

nealglover
    Free Member

it was this statement i had issue with, they are not, as tolerances have to be measured with a micrometer with the potential for disaster if they are not manufactured to those tolerances.

And my point, was they must be fairly simple and easy to make, if you can buy them from multiple manufacturers for under £80.

deviant
    Free Member

Cougar….they’re not pretty but Baikal have an excellent reputation for reliability, sat it next to a fiends ‘Shadow’ today and the finish on his gun is superb….mine looks shit next to it….however when we broke the barrels and looked down them it is flawless, the action is still firm and nothing creaks or wobbles….i’ll be testing it at Bisley next week and will have a better idea of whether the £79 shotgun was a gem of a bargain of whether to throw it in the bin!

I wanted something different….it would have been easy to hand over my credit card and walk out with a Browning, Beretta, Webley & Scott etc….but the local shoots are crawling with these guns….as i said in an earlier post, sometimes we take out the ‘musket’ as we call it….an unbranded, long, heavy beast of a thing with two triggers and still we knock the clays out of the sky much to the surprise of anybody watching.

Nealglover- the price reflects the spartan design, average wood work and age of the gun….its also missing some modern niceties like an ejector system for the cartridges and an automatic safety.

MrSmith
    Free Member

And my point, was they must be fairly simple and easy to make, if you can buy them from multiple manufacturers for under £80.

not as easy to make as this

what are the other ‘multiple’ manufacturers that sell a new shotgun for less than £80?
    the uk importer lists the baikal side by side at £562.95

nealglover
    Free Member

what are the other ‘multiple’ manufacturers that sell a new shotgun for less than £80?

I’ve highlighted the word you seem to have added to what I actually said.

MrSmith
    Free Member

surely a “manufacturer” (one of the numerous ones) sells new products not second hand?

grum
    Free Member

So you know how everyone says those cheap bikes are dangerously rubbish……..

nealglover
    Free Member

surely a “manufacturer” (one of the numerous ones) sells new products not second hand?

I based what I said on this…..

Gobsmackingly it wasnt even the cheapest in the shop, there was one next to it for £75 and then a single shot/single barrel shotgun for £49!!!

When I said “from Multiple manufacturers” clearly I didn’t mean directly, as the OP had already said he was in a local Gunshop.

But really, keep picking holes in it.

It’s fun.

daveob
    Free Member

I keep toying with the idea of a shotgun, but can’t justify the why. I’d enjoy shooting game for a bit, but would probably get bored and the same with clays.

MrSmith
    Free Member

ah i misinterpreted “manufacturers” as a factory making new goods not a shop selling secondhand stuff, my mistake, sorry. 😳

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Purely out of interest, what’s the position on ownership of gas powered/combat shotguns in this country? Would it be permitted to own say, a Bennelli M4 if you limited the magazine capacity to 3 shells?

grum
    Free Member

I keep toying with the idea of a shotgun, but can’t justify the why. I’d enjoy shooting game for a bit, but would probably get bored and the same with clays.

That’s when you move on to people.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Purely out of interest, what’s the position on ownership of gas powered/combat shotguns in this country? Would it be permitted to own say, a Bennelli M4 if you limited the magazine capacity to 3 shells?

Don’t see why you couldn’t, my dad has an 8-shot semi auto which was modified to be 3-shot following Dunblane.

On another note, that has got to be the most fun (legal) gun ever. The amount of destruction it could reign with a full mag was awe-inspiring. Never gets used now, not posh enough for pheasant shoots apparently.

sharkbait
    Free Member

but the local shoots
    are crawling with these guns

There might be a reason for that.
    I wouldnt go so far as to say that Baikal have an excellent reputation for reliability, if they did they would not be cheap amd you’d see more of them at shoots.
    But your gun sounds like it has barely been used so that’s good.

godzilla
    Free Member

Edit -Thought better of it

MrSmith
    Free Member

The amount of destruction it could reign with a full mag was awe-inspiring

wow that really must have been a spectacle of wanton destruction beyond all wars.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Ludicrous price of firearms…’ is closed to new replies.