Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Low=stack headset.. need more mm's
  • lardman
    Free Member

I want to see if i can reduce the overall stack height on my frame. I have a pair of forks that are just a bit short for the headtube, which i want to use on my frame.

I'm running a standard type headset (FSA pig i think) and wondered if there's anything which is super low-stack?

It's 1 1/8th size, and i need to lose about 8mm.

nuke

Crank Bros headset…21mm stack height

Some FSA stems…35mm stack height

What's your headtube length and what's your steerer length?

clubber
    Free Member

Crank Bros do very low headset – 21mm IIRC – Cobalt directset – £60ish
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crank_Brothers_Iodine_C_Directset/5360036704/?referid=frogoog&source=googleps

Or a FSA Orbit XL2 is about 27.5mm and only £20

Truvativ XR stems are low stack and having a single bolt fitting are better suited if the steerer's a bit low in it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I've managed to shave nearly 10mm off the required steerer length by fitting an XR stem.
    If i needed to lose any more i'd go for the FSA headset, rather than the CB headset as they seem to be pants (keep the receipt!)

lardman
    Free Member

err… well i'm at the office so cant remember specific sizes.
    Great tip about the Crank Bros 'tingy. I'll do some measuring later, and see what i need to lose.

I can lose some of the stem, as it's a Easton vice right now.

It's all going on my winter-hardtail-jumpy thrasher bike. SO, weak stem would not be a good move.

thanks all.

nuke

i'd go for the FSA headset, rather than the CB headset as they seem to be pants (keep the receipt!)

+ 1

…CB is the lowest but if you can get away with it FSA are cheaper and more reliable. I'm running a CB but have XLII on my other frames. XLII is £15 including P&P at On-One at the moment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Low=stack headset.. need more mm's’ is closed to new replies.