Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lower leg caliper thread ripped
  • grego228
    Free Member

Just refitting my brake caliper to my 5yr old bos deville.
    Torque to 12nm and ripped the thread out of the lower

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Use a nut and bolt? (Edit: just been working my wife’s old IS mount forks!! Doh – no use for PM)

Helicoil insert?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Helicoil.

otsdr
    Free Member

Isn’t Deville PM160? No excuse for not using a 4-bolt adapter.

tjagain

Helicoil and check torque values. IIRC 6mm bolts are usually done to 6 nm

jamesoz

Something like this?

Was the bolt too long, bottoming out before reaching torque?

Edit: Torque value too high as said above.

grego228
    Free Member

Seems I’ve been over doing the torque, should have been 6nm.

Will look into helicoil, and cross my fingers.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

tjagain

Helicoil is fine and will actually produce a stronger thread as it ens up steel on teel not steel on alloy

Really simple to do as well. Live anywhere near Edinburgh I’ll put one in for you. should be £10 – 20 quid at an engineers or even your lbs. Literally takes 5 mins to do as you don’t even need to drill it in ally – just run the tap into it and fit the insert

grego228
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’m in Huddersfield.
    Will just try a lbs at the weekend.

devash
    Free Member

12nm sounds like a huge torque for a post mount brake caliper.As above, 6nm max, if that.

Insert / helicoil fitted by a decent LBS / engineering firm will get you up and running again so all is not lost.

faustus

I have this job to do. The other option, which though much cheaper, is certainly not as good as helicoil. You can tap a new thread to the next size up, and drill out the caliper hole too. A friend did this successfully. There’s not much margin for error, the thread is no stronger than it was, and there might not be a huge amount of material on the post mount, depending how it’s formed.

tjagain

A helicoil cost a few pennies. A kit including tap and fitting tool can be had for a few quid.
    Don’t drill out and retap to a bigger size. You could well be weakening the structure too much

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lower leg caliper thread ripped’ is closed to new replies.