Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • lower back strength
  • jamievosper
    Free Member

any tips how to build more strength…seein as i've got a glass back 🙂

sc-xc

Do a range of back exercises…

Good mornings
    Pull Ups
    Deadlifts
    Single rows

Then some stuff for your core, so lots of plank type exercises.

yunki
    Free Member

I've found that cycling seems to be great for building lower back strength.
    Have you tried it?
    It's a pretty cool way to keep fit and enjoy the great outdoors… a few people on this forum cycle too..

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Cycling is crap for building lower back strength. It's even pretty crap at maintaining lower back strength.

billyboulders
    Free Member

I've found that cycling seems to be great for building lower back strength

And I find it makes my back ache! (dyed in the wool hardtail rider fo 20 years plus)So would be interested in advice too 🙂

I might regret this but Barry Bethel what are "good mornings" – nothing to do with morning glory are they?

sc-xc

sc-xc

yunki
    Free Member

I've found that cycling seems to be great for building lower back strength.

cycling is rubbish for lower back strength

doh! (or something)

billyboulders
    Free Member

Aaah, so in the pic when he's standing upright maybe it is to do with morning glory!! 🙂

borwens
    Free Member

if the lower back is already weak good mornins are one of the most dangerous exercises u can do as the place so much strain on't lower back, if you must do them unweighted with just a bar is the way forward. Pull ups, rubbish fr lower back, ditto single rows. Basic core exercises are definately the way forward, at least until a good base of stability has been built up.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

It's a novel idea, but how about working the muscles that are weak? If it's your lower back that is weak try doing some back extensions.

I would put money on it that it has nowt to do with your back and your hamstrings are tight.

jamievosper
    Free Member

have been told pilates is very good for back problems..gettin round to doing them is another thing..set off on a ride this morning an jarred my back hitting a drop come boulder..

Garry_Lager

A decent deadlift and squat should get your back improved – the two main compound lifts. Take it stepwise though and get the technique in place, you wouldn't want to deadlift any serious weight with dodgy form.

markcdo
    Free Member

Exactly what gerry has just said, (and barry bethel) particularly about technique – you can really mess your lower back doing deadlift – start easy. Dorsal raises also good, and possibly light bent over row too. Pull ups/heaves won't work your lower back but will develop upper body strength in general which will help you when caning it downhill !!

stumpy01

Planks – press up position but on elbows, not hands & hold with a straight back.

back raises – lay face down with hands at your temples & raise your chest/shoulders off the floor. Start by not extending too far, then build up. Start with three sets of 8 or 10. After a while you can do body & legs at same time & opposite legs and arms.

And cycling is one of the worst activities for lower back strength.

brooess
    Free Member

You don't want to be getting random advice from a forum on something as important as your back! Get a personal trainer for one session to make an assessment of what your particular weaknesses are and a set of exercises to sort them. What works for me or any of the others may not work for you, or worse, could give you an injury. Oh and warm up properly for 10 mins beforehand!

jamievosper
    Free Member

cheers people..

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Get yourself to a core based circuits session at your local gym.

All over toning and a CV workout to.

corroded
    Free Member

You don't want to be getting random advice from a forum on something as important as your back!

+1
    As someone with a FUBARed back I'd suggest avoiding any exercises that involve lifting, at least before you've built up some core stability. You're right, Pilates is good place to start. Also try an exercise ball. The plank is a really helpful exercise IME. But, as has been mentioned, are you sure it's your back that's the root of the problem?

jamievosper
    Free Member

corroded yes it is the back.since teens.was just wondering if anybody had exercise tips…thanks all

corroded
    Free Member

Me too. A couple of simple exercises my physio gave me:
    Lie on your back with your knees bent. Raise your hips (so you form a sort of ramp). Then pull your abdomen downwards.
    Sitting on an exercise ball, knees forming a right angle. Raise one foot slightly off the ground and try to hold your body as still as possible.

jamievosper
    Free Member

cheers corroded 🙂

adam5555

As someone who has suffered from lower back problems id suggest seeing a physio if you have problems or a good personal trainer if you have a fit back but want strength. I was given exercises by a sports physio to strengthen the stabilising muscles, which are tiny muscles around your spine and are very difficult to work. You have to really concentrate to feel them but with practise it gets easier. The exercises are really subtle and you feel like you are not doing any thing but they work, these muscles can tire very easily so you cant overdo them.

When I asked for advise on doing gym based exercises I was warned that they can be very damaging and can cause nasty imbalance problems even when done properly. Basically I was told not to until I had strentghened my stabalising muscles and could control them when working out. Pro atheletes do alot of stretching and pilaties based exercises etc for this very reason. Pilaties and things like balance boards are good for the back and a sports physio can give other exercises and look at the mechanics of problems. (My problems were mountain bike related and had alot to do with my hamstrings being shortened)

AndyA
    Free Member

Go see a physio. Mine spotted what was wrong with my lower back straight away and was able to give me excercises/stretches to help correct my specific problem. Wish I'd gone far sooner instead of trying to daignose it myself. In the mean time, don't go doing deadlifts etc if your back is already shagged, you'll just make it alot worse.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘lower back strength’ is closed to new replies.