Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lower back pain
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

Everytime I ride semi-challenging uphill I’m getting a really bad lower back. It starts off as a dull ache but after about 1/2 hour developes into what feels like mild cramp.

I end up having to strech off after every section with my best ’75-year-old-just-out-of-bed-hip-thrust’

Any one had this? Is it something which can be resolved through strength work, stretching or is it something more serious?

40mpg

Try moving your saddle forward on the rails a bit, or raise your bars a bit (or both).

Helped with a similar issue for me.

FuzzyWuzzy

Could be a lot of things but strengthening your core wouldn’t hurt for sure and add in some flexibility work. I find sitting climbing for extended periods (15 mins+) I can start to get a niggle in my back but regularly standing whilst climbing can delay and sometimes prevent this.
    You might want to think about your gearing choice to, pushing a big gear for a long time whilst seated is going to put a big load on your lower back, it’s worth teaching yourself to spin low gears up long climbs if you don’t already.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

I was mainly standing on the climbs over the weekend (due to the gradient). Obviously I need to swallow my pride and get out of the Big Ring….

slowboydickie

I also suffer this. +1 for bringing in the saddle and also ensure it is not too high. If you are office bound posture at work can be the root cause which is acerbated by cycling. I find all round stretching helps including hamstrings, upper back, glutes, lower back, chest and neck.

Janesy
    Free Member

Moving the saddle will activate you quads though. You really should be using your Glutes (arse).

Work on your core and strectch. I wouldnt move the saddle forward too much. you’ll get more power from the Glutes.

eightyeight
    Free Member

slowboy, I was just thinking ‘Whatever could be causing this lower back pain?’, as a begin the z week in a row of 60+ hrs slumped in front of a PC! I think that is the root cause.

Thanks, time for some posture correction

glupton1976
    Free Member

I wouldnt move the saddle forward too much. you’ll get more power from the Glutes.

Youll get more power from using all of the available muscles…. So quads and glutes and hamstrings….etc.

OP =

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lower back pain’ is closed to new replies.