Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lower Back Pain
  • Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice as i am in quite a lot of pain, but cant associate the pain with any particular injury.

Im 25 and fit and healthy. I work outdoors felling trees so my body is used to physical work. Sunday morning though i woke up with and achey back, which eased off once i got moving. I played squash later that day, with no problems and it felt like it freed up the muscles.By the evening however it felt like my muscles were tightening up.

Anyway over night i could sleep or find a comfortable position. I have rested since but the pain doesnt seem to be easing.

I have never had any back problems before so am not really sure what to do. I looked online and information seems to be very unhelpful, with one article saying that back pain if phycological, which isnt what i want to hear!

anc
    Free Member

Could be lots of things trapped nerve, disc problems, spasm or strain. Either way rest it!! If you’ve never had a problem before treat this as a warning from your body. Once it goes make sure you do plenty of stretching/strengthening if your cycling regularly. Cycling shortens the hamstrings and in turn this can cause various problems in the lower back. If you don’t rest it and you make it worse your back can take a very long time to mend so carefully does it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bending over to try and touch my toes but trying to keep my back straight helped me, it stretches the gluts, and seemingly everything else seems to benefit.

pixelmix
    Free Member

+1 the above.

I used to get a sore back when riding hard for even just 1h30. Strengthening my core muscles slightly and doing a few stretches has made a big difference. I’d lie low for a few days, and hopefully the current problem will clear up (assuming it isn’t something more serious), at which stage you can make a point of doing a few situps and stretches every week from now on.

Holmesey
    Free Member

stretching esp pilates and yoga have done my riding/boarding/everything else the world of good. Less aches, quicker recovery and more bounce when it goes pear shapes or when ego overcomes limited talent.
    Takes a while to get into pilates as it seems too lame at the start, but it’s only when you persevere that you realise how to do the exercises properly and then you get the real benefits (no I’m not selling owt like yoga vids btw)

If you have back pain that comes on in your sleep every night, improved by exercise, then it’s worth a second medical opinion. Mrs H has got ankylosing spondylitis http://www.nass.co.uk/ which is an arthritic condition that affects young sporty types. good news is that with treatment it can be halted, but it’s a long process.

with your work, it’s likely that you’ve pulled or strained it, but keep tabs on it and get checked out if it persists.
    good luck Holmesey

oddjob
    Free Member

I hope you are nit in the position I was in last year, I pushed on through the pain and kept stretching thinking I was helping but I made it much much worse and then spent 6 weeks immobile and am only just getting over it 6 months later.

Go and see a physio or you gp if it gets worse. Rest it and don’t do anything that hurts. If it hurts then stop immediately and finally, be careful about how much time you spend sitting down and how well you sit.

Good luck

oddjob
    Free Member

Btw I had a double disc prolapse 😐

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lower Back Pain’ is closed to new replies.