Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lower Back Injury/Pain – could cause be running??
  • Jase
    Free Member

Over the years I’ve regular suffered with lower back problems – 2-3 times a year which has resulted in pain when bending down etc.

A few years ago I started to do core exercises to strengthen my core as research suggested a poor core strength could be the issue. This has certainly helped and I only now suffer once a year at most.

Saturday morning I put my back out whilst sitting in the garage taking my overshoes off, although I’ve been telling people it happened whilst rescuing an OAP from the jaws of a tiger.

As I was returning from a road ride I initially thought that could be the cause but it was less than 2 hrs and I’m used to riding for much longer without issue.

The evening before I’d been for a 50 min run and a few minutes from the end I did notice a twinge in my lower back, nothing major and when home never felt anything but wonder if this was the initial cause? I currently run 2-3 times a week on paths, which I try to do in the winter, for between 30 and 50 mins and on the longer runs it’s not unusual to feel the odd back twinge.

I’m not looking a for an accurate diagnosis, more a feel of whether it could be the running causing or contributing to the problem, as I’d happily give this up if it helps prevent time off the bike so any insights would be appreciated.

P.S. I do wear proper running shoes and running is on concrete.

Thanks.

Jason

edward2000
    Free Member

Ive no idea if this is any help, but I see an osteopath now and again. I once told him my lower back was very tight and he said it was due to my hip flexors being tight. I incorporated the exercises in the link below into my stretching routine and it definately reduced the pain in my back. Might not be anything to do with your problem though but it might be worth a try.

brooess
    Free Member

I run and cycle. It can be tricky doing both as cycling will shorten your hamstrings and give you back issues.
    Get yourself to a physio for a proper diagnosis first.
    I would make sure you have a full and proper stretching regime: running stretches after every run, cycling stretches after every ride.
    Foam rollers are miracle workers… self-massage basically.
    Ask your physio for appropriate exercises. British Cycling have published the post-ride stretches they give to their pros – you can’t get better advice than that!

footflaps

I once told him my lower back was very tight and he said it was due to my hip flexors being tight.

My wife has this, from too many hours in the car driving for her job. Physio has her on stretch routine and foam rollers for the hip flexors. If she does the exercises, the back pain goes away.

edward2000
    Free Member

Footflaps – I work in sales and i spend 6/8hrs a day in a car about 3/4 times a week. It definately doesn’t help.

molgrips
    Free Member

Driving doesn’t do much for my back. Well, in the one car it doesn’t. That car feels really comfortable but over time affects my lower back. The other car doesn’t feel as comfortable but I have no problems with my back!

Jase
    Free Member

Have to admit to never stretching after running/riding.

Will give the hip flexor exercise a go and have look on the BC site for their stretching suggestions.

footflaps

Apparently tight hip flexors is common with people who do a lot of driving. They put extra pressure on the lower back as a result. My wife’s routine is Yoga stretches for lower back (treating the symptom) and foam roller and stretches for the hip flexors to try and looses them up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lower Back Injury/Pain – could cause be running??’ is closed to new replies.