Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Low Oil Questions Audi A4
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Is there a way to physically check oil level rather than rely on the computer?

I’ve had faults in the past with the oil level light (coming on when oil level is fine) but now the thing is telling me to ‘add more oil immediately’ etc.

I’ve added 3 litres and it’s still doing it.

So I’d like to check manually.

Tried taking it do the dealer but service was closed, would just wait till Monday but have a long drive tomorrow and wanted to check with STW first.

So, what should I do? Engine seems to be running fine. Its a 2l turbo btw. 2010.

Drac

I don’t think there is a way to do it.

I wouldn’t of added oil though until I could get a garage to look at it but I’d also not be driving it.

damo2576
    Free Member

Hmm, can you damage by having too much oil?

Funny thing is I have a degree in Automotive Engineering but spent 15 minutes looking for a dip stick before resorting to the manual!

emac65
    Free Member

I would think there are better websites than here to ask such a question …

Yes you can do a whole load of damage to an engine with too much oil in it !

damo2576
    Free Member

I thought STW was the site with the highest percentage of Audi drivers?!

Drac

Yup you can burst the seals, if you lucky it may just spit it out.

I would think there are better websites than here to ask such a question …

Well the answer will be the same, VAG engines with the auto oil sensor don’t have a dipstick. Which is why he couldn’t find it.

Do you know the correct oil capacity of the engine ?
    Drain all the oil out, then put the correct volume back in.
    Bit of a faff, but better than taking a chance on a long drive with probably 50% too much oil.

cranberry
    Free Member

would just wait till Monday but have a long drive tomorrow and wanted to check with STW first.

If you run the engine with the wrong amount of oil in it you may well have a short drive, long wait, change of plans and hefty bill.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Seems to be a load of stuff about his ongoogle / audi forums.

I wouldn’t drive it. Odds are that you have now got an overfilled engine

totalshell

empty it and re fill.. dont spend money on oil put asda’s finest in.

Drac

Sounds advice Graham.

glenh
    Free Member

Does it really not have a dipstick?

luke
    Free Member

give audi assist a call and see if they have any advice they can give 0800699999

TuckerUK
    Free Member

No way to check the oil level manually? Wow, that’s a great design feature!

😯 😕 🙄

Edit

Lol, so no way of easily and quickly checking oil condition either! Awesome design work!

samuri
    Free Member

Are you sure you can’t check the level manually? Every VAG car I’ve ever driven has an oil stick.

stucol
    Free Member

New Mercs don’t have a dipstick either. The logic of this escapes me.

Overfilling is not a good idea. Can lead to all kinds of problems.

If in doubt then the drain it and refill with the correct amount is the safest way to be sure. It will also give confirmation that the sensor is reading correctly (or otherwise).

cranberry
    Free Member

I would suspect that the “logic” in it is that owners should not look under the bonnet, but should be forced to pay for labour from Audi dealers in order to generate more revenue.

Drac

Lol, so no way of easily and quickly checking oil condition either! Awesome design work!

Errr! That’s not hard now is it, he put oil in so guess what it has an oil filler cap. Add the fact VAG use synthetic oils that last for a bloody age anyway.

should be forced to pay for labour from Audi dealers in order to generate more revenue.

You don’t have to get them serviced or repaired at an Audi dealer.

Xylene
    Free Member

I have just had a mate breaking an a4 1.8t on my driveay due to a simliar issue.

Oil warning light came on after a bump. His uncle filled it up with oil, ended up adding a full 4.5l. Shortly afterwards the car started to pogo down the street. He pogoes it to his nephews which he never made it to because it jumped a tooth and carked it completely.

On breaking it when we pulled the front end off and cut the air intakes, my grass go covered in oil. The overfilling had forced oil past the turbo seals and sprayed it around the engine.
    All the parts he wanted to salvage to try and recoup some of the costs were full of oil.

SO my advice is DON’T drive it.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

That’s a truly terrible bit of design.

I already disliked modern cars, but that’s taking the piss!

Flaperon

Same with BMW.

Don’t drive it if overfilled – if oil pressure builds high enough the engine will start to run on the oil, running out of control and destroying itself in the process. Lots of smoke, possible oil on road, embarrassing chats with police etc.

damo2576
    Free Member

Well, I didn’t die and neither did car.

suthy
    Free Member

I think there is a sensor fault to be honest. Mine would give me a gentle reminder it was low. 1 litre was usually enough to make it perfect again. If your sensor went straight to “NEED OIL NOW” and you put in 3 litres to no avail, I would call AUDI.

And yes, you can do a lot of damage in having too much oil.

Xylene
    Free Member

Well, I didn’t die and neither did car.

My mate’s car didn’t die immediately either, took a few days, then the seals went, but don’t listen to us. That is why we have internet forums to ask questions we don’t want to hear the answers to.

transapp
    Free Member

My 2008 A4 2.0 RSI still has a dipstick. It also has electronic sensor which came on on the M5 earlier… Dont drive the car if you’ve put loads in, the sensor on mine goes bong if you need 250ml top up.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Funny thing is I have a degree in Automotive Engineering but spent 15 minutes looking for a dip stick

The second question is understandable – they get well hidden. But the first? With a degree in automotive engineering? What did they teach you?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Low Oil Questions Audi A4’ is closed to new replies.