Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Low BB on FS. What are my options?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Clipping rocks all the time on my Trance. What will make the most difference to give me a bit more clearance:

Shock? is already at 260psi so pretty much maxed out.
    Tyre? Got a 2.3″on the back already which is all the frame can take.

Cranks? Change my 170mm to 165mm maybe?
    Pedals? I’m riding flats – get thinner flats?
    Fork? Longer fork would raise the BB but I’ve tried it and don’t like the way it rides where I’m riding.
    Anything else? (lose 20kg, buy another bike etc..)

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Onzadog
    Free Member

From that list, I think you’ve got it all covered. Or you could ride somewhere less rocky.

clubber
    Free Member

Some frames can allow a longer shock which can sort out a low bb. Worked a treat on my 03 Spesh Enduro. Don’t know for trances though.

jam-bo

Pick where you pedal…

Had the original enduro SX with a 12″ BB. Learnt to time my pedal strokes pretty quickly in rocky terrain .

brakes
    Free Member

what tyres are they? you can get tyres with a taller profile which might raise the height a bit

Northwind

Low BB’s a good thing, within reason. I’m assuming it’s pedals you’re bashing? If so jam bo’s spot on, put the pedals somewhere else rather than into the rocks.

Rickos
    Free Member

I used to ride a Prophet with 30% sag and they have a well low BB (innit). You’ve just got to learn where your peggles are and know when to crank and when to not crank.

mokl
    Free Member

Have you had the bike long, perhaps you will adapt if not? I have learned to live with the low BB on my Superlight (which I realise is a very different bike). I have gotten used to timing my pedal strokes and now do it mostly without thought. Does still happen sometimes though.

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Will 165mm cranks or flatter pedals make much difference? or is 5m to small to make a difference in the scheme of things?

Where I pedal is very rocky rooty and rutty so its very hard to pick. But I guess I’m out of options.

jambon
    Free Member

What forks you got – is it the old 4″ Trance?

I used to run mine with 130mm forks, which suited it well – that’d lift up the BB a bit.

Earl
    Free Member

Yea the old 4″ trance. I tried it with a 125 fork and didn’t like it as the stuff i ride is flat-ish and very twisty so its better setup xc style.
    Ta.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t pedal over rocks.

granny_ring

100-130mm adjustable travel forks, then find what works for you?

kimbers

thinner pedals do make a difference ime

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Low BB on FS. What are my options?’ is closed to new replies.