• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by grum.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lost my minirig charger cable in Nepal :(
  • grum
    Free Member

It’s a really nice mini speaker for those who don’t know. I’ve lost the charger cable which is a 5V 2.1mm barrel plug. I have a 12v charger the same size but that will fry it right? Any way of stepping it down – any other ideas? I’m guessing I just basically need to find a 5V charger the right size.

There are electronics shops near here but god knows what they will stock – don’t think post is an option. Will try them but I think lots of stuff is closed on Saturdays here.

Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ended up using a multi adaptor for some stuff, generally has a voltage setting and a number of ends, fairly common in most places….

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well you can charge it via USB so should be easy enough to source something locally. If you venture a little outside of Thamel you’ll surely find a bloke with a multimeter and an understanding of electronics somewhere who’ll be able to help.

Too high a voltage will cause damage but a higher current (amps) will charge your battery a bit quicker without damage.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I’m nowhere near Kathmandu any more I’m in a village near a fairly depressed small border town doing some charity work. It’s a different world to Pokhra and Thamel

Will have to try and find a multi-adapter I guess.

RustySpanner

Good work fella.
    Can’t help with the cable, but any chance of some pictures?

kimbers

Grums been putting some awesome pics on Facebook

grum
    Free Member

Cheers Kimbers! Yeah check out facebook.com/grahamwynnephoto and the blog at grahamwynnephoto.com for piccies. Will post some up on STW when I get a mo. Got so many to edit!

hammyuk
    Free Member

do you mean the plug that goes into the speaker is a 2.1mm standard plug?
    If so look for something like a Wii remote battery pack as the dock they use is a USB to 2.1mm
    I’ve got a few floating about here

grum
    Free Member

Yup thanks. Will have a look. I’m in the middle of **** nowhere but going into the ‘big smoke’ of Birgunj tomorrow. It is the kind of random thing they might be able to find me in an electrical shop here.

spooky_b329

Voltage is the bit that matters, too high and it’ll fry.

Amps, you just need to make sure the charger is equal or higher. If its higher, its unlikely to be of any benefit except it’ll cost more/be bigger/heavier. It won’t normally charge faster.

The big one though, is the polarity. Not sure if you are talking barrel plug or audio style, but most universal chargers will allow you to select the polarity to suit the device, either via a dial, or just turning the barrel 180 degrees to swap the pins around. Look for this label/marking on the device to check what you need to select:

grum
    Free Member

Thanks spooky. Couldn’t find a multi one but I found one that says its 5.2v (or 5.5 elsewhere on the box!) – enough difference to fry it? Will check re polarity.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lost my minirig charger cable in Nepal :(’ is closed to new replies.