Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Lost my Leatherman.
  • bodgy
    Free Member

I’ve lost my Leatherman Surge. 🙁 Dammit.

I must have left it behind after fishing on the beach. I’m gutted – along with the fish – as I really liked it and used it daily.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Perhaps not quite as heavy? I don’t need the serated blade or scissors, particularly, as the scissors were never that good.

Duffer
    Free Member

There’s only one replacement for a leatherman…

The Wave is meant to be the pick of the bunch, but personally i carry a Sideclip every day; it’s discontinued now, but I’ve had it 15+ years and use it all the time.

You can’t go wrong with a Wave. Or perhaps a Rebar might be ideal?

kiwijohn

Sidekick, really nothing on it I haven’t used. Cheap too.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied a Crunch. Anyone use one? Tend to carry my Juice Xe6 which must be getting on for 12 years old now. It’s nice and pocket sized,

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bloody hell! I’ve just looked at the prices of them now! Woahhh! £130 for a Wave….. I think my wife bought mine for about £35-£40 from the USA about 10 years ago. That’s an appreciating asset I’ve got right there!
    I’d be gutted if I lost mine too….

riklegge

[stealth ad]I’ve got a Fuse I never use that I might sell[/stealth ad]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I must have left it behind after fishing on the beach.

Borrow a metal detector & go back? 🙂

Which beach?

I absolutely hate losing things like that. 😡

BillOddie

I lost my Wave in a Garage burglary, I bought another Wave.

bodgy
    Free Member

@PeterPoddy – I bought mine in the States – it was about $65 as opposed to £120 here!

I like the look of the Wave but . . . £££’s.

bodgy
    Free Member

Borrow a metal detector & go back?

Which beach?

Somebody else will have found it by now; it was a couple of nights ago. Hive Beach at Burton Bradstock, Dorset – very busy with fishermen and dog walkers, so it’ll be long gone.

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied a Crunch. Anyone use one?

I have one which stays in my work jacket pocket. It’s a bit chunky to carry around all the time, and there aren’t that many occasions when it gets used. Mostly comes out when I need to clamp something steel and bend it back into shape. It also doesn’t have a straight blade, only a serrated one, which may or may not be an issue for you.

nickc

SOG multi tools

these are nice

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Gerber Suspension is pretty good VFM compared to a Leatherman. I have one in my work bag as I won’t cry too much if I lose it, unlike the Leatherman Supertool I carry in my bikepack.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Just picked up a Wave off Amazon

riddoch

the SOGs are very “functional”, the one handed opening on the one I have is handy. They just don’t feel as nice in the hand as the wave or if you want a premium feel the victornoix Swiss tool.
    I stuck a camelcamelcamel alert on amazon for a sensible price on the wave and waited till it hit it. currently about £93 and has been as low as £70. I think I may have gotten mine on black Friday so it was that sort of price.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Leatheman like bikes… N+1

Swear by the charge ti (now tti) my go to….

Skeletool is a great bit of kit too

bodgy
    Free Member

^ Nice one riddoch!

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I haven’t checked the newer models as I still have my Leatherman Super Tool from the ~mid 90s, but I can certainly recommend the brand to anyone that might be hesitant over a purchase. Thinking about it, I might get my older son one for Xmas.

Obligatory ownership picture…

benp1

On the Leatherman front, I have the Wave, Skeletool, Juice XE6, 3 juices (PS4, P4, S4) and the micra

I also have 2 Victorinox Swisstools (scissor and non-scissor versions), a Gerber something that I can’t remember, and a few other randoms

I used to keep the Wave with my bike stuff but realised I don’t need the full weight of it. I now carry the Skeletool on my bike, scissors would be happy though (zip ties, cutting packaging and plasters). The PS4 would be quite good on the bike as it’s small enough and functional enough to be worth it

The Juice series is good if you want something non-locking, the Wave or Skeletool would get my recommendation if you want something locking. The Swisstool is the best quality overall, but it’s the heaviest too

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve got the same. Picked it up years ago from Costco at something like £60, which at the time I thought was expensive. Looking at the price of them now it was a bargain. Only ever broke the precision screwdriver due to misuse but that has now been replaced and extra bits now added to it’s armoury. Still the most used tool I own.

I’d hate to lose it but if I did it would give me the excuse to buy the Damascus bladed Charge TTi 😀

TiRed

Original PST bought for me as a present from America. Still love it. Same as the photo. It’s my go-to cable stop crimper (although I cut cables with something more suitable).

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Kershaw for years – very nice kit

bodgy
    Free Member

^^ Oooh, that looks nice, snaps.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new one for sale – £80 posted, best price I can find is $135+post, import & VAT

Sui
    Free Member

Ohh now how you feel, i honesly thought i lost mine a few months back (had it 12 years) and was gutted, it eventually turned up somewhere random, it never normally leaves my camelback. It’s been everywhere with me, and was often my go to tool when trying to get a GPMG to work in hot dusty places..

so plus 1 as mine is a charge ti – silly expensive now..

craigxxl – Member
    I’ve got the same. Picked it up years ago from Costco at something like £60, which at the time I thought was expensive. Looking at the price of them now it was a bargain. Only ever broke the precision screwdriver due to misuse but that has now been replaced and extra bits now added to it’s armoury. Still the most used tool I own.

I’d hate to lose it but if I did it would give me the excuse to buy the Damascus bladed Charge TTi

mehr
    Free Member

£60’s an amazing price for a charge.

To the OP buy a wave, then after owning one for a few days you’ll want to upgrade to a charge (same as a wave but has better blades)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’d hate to lose it but if I did it would give me the excuse to buy the Damascus bladed Charge TTi

You know you can buy the Damascus blade and retrofit it yourself….Tempting as it looks lovely.

I had the Ti originally and I sent in in for a service after I snapped the blade doing something silly. Leatherman sent me a brand new TTi as replacement. Their warranty is amazingly good.

(Also got a Micra, Juice SE, Skeletool CX too)

neilwheel
    Free Member

My original PST is in a field after a machinery fire and the extinguishers were cable tied on to stop them bouncing out of their brackets on the tractors. That was replaced with Wave, good bit of kit with everything you should need, but both were given as a presents.

Gerber seem like good tools for less money, I had a Gerber Suspension for a very short time, due to some light fingered scruff bag.

I bought a Skeletool for riding and light camping. I also bought the adapter/extension that fits standard 1/4″ hex bits so you can carry a full custom tool kit.

bodgy
    Free Member

I just found it again!! At the back of a cupboard. Totally random, as I’d searched through that cupboard twice.

I’d already replaced it, though, like for like. Now I have two Leathermans/Lethermen.

CountZero

I had a Gerber, one of these:

Had it for a few years, given to me by my late mum as a Christmas present. I was carrying it around in a nylon case along with my backup iPhone 5, an Anker powerpack and various cables in my work bag, and it fell out and was left in a car I had been driving. Tried Findmyiphone, which briefly showed it somewhere in North London, then somewhere else in London, but despite locking it with on-screen messages with my details I never got any of my stuff back.
    That was a very expensive loss, the Gerber is around £100, the phone worth about £150…
    😢

orangeboy
    Free Member

I like my rebar which I got after I could not find a super tool.

It’s great and my edc but it could do with a clip to make it perfect.

Blimey prices have gone up a bit

maccruiskeen

Gerber Suspension is pretty good VFM compared to a Leatherman.

remarkably good warrantee / back up for the price (particularly the £20 i paid) – I chipped the screwdriver blade recently on one I bought in an amazon flash sale flagged up on here in 2013 – enquired about a spare and they just sent me a whole new tool.

It feels a bit heavy in your pocket compared to Leathermans/men but other than that the only limitation its met compared to friends more expensive options is the saw clogs when you cut wet wood

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Get them from the States. Way cheaper.

Love my Charge TTi, my “go-to” tool and always in my work bag.

In my bike bag I carry a Skeletool CX. Desk has my Juice s2. And on my car keys a wee Micra.

LM warranty is superb. I broke the blade on my Charge Ti and sent it in for repair. They just sent me a TTi replacement!

avdave2

Lost my very much loved and very well used Supertool on an exhibition in Berlin and then rushed to the airport in Amsterdam straight from a job to discover I still had the replacement Wave on my belt as I got to the X-ray machine. Unfortunately at Schiphol the X-ray is right at the gate so no time to go back and get it put in the hold. I handed it over to one of the security staff and said here’s a present for you but she said they’d have to destroy it which seemed like a bit of a waste.  Fortunately a friend who was still in the MOD at the time had a spare Wave he gave me.

The Wave is very good and it’s great that you don’t have to open it out to get to a blade but I miss the ruler on the Supertool, that was surprisingly useful.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I ended up getting my son the Rebar for Xmas.

It had the right tools (for him) compared to the rest.

Should last him a while…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Lost my Leatherman.’ is closed to new replies.