Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • losing my enthusiasm, motivation and thinking of selling up
  • xcretro
    Free Member

only been back on bike a year now after smoking and being unfit for over 20 years, got to a point where I was riding every day almost, covering about 600-800 miles a month on and off road and then 2 weeks ago I went up to sheffield on a course with work for 3 days so didnt ride for that week, went out on the sunday for 30 mile and then havent really been on bike since last sunday except to nip to shop for snacks and crap food.

don’t know whats up. why am I not feeling like riding any more?

thinking of selling my bike and all my gear as well 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

You’ve not ridden for a week?

Oh no!

QUICK! SELL EVERYTHING!

Seriously….it’s ok to have a week of.

z1ppy

indeedy seems a bit OTT, good god the weather lovely*, the trails are dry* get over yourself and get out on the bike now!

*well they are here anyways

xcretro
    Free Member

I know it seems trivial, but I dont have the motivation to get back on it, I’m sat here now thinking about going out and cant be bothered 🙁

unklehomered
    Free Member

Have you gone out for a ride when you didn’t feel like it? Did you then enjoy it. Often getting out the door is mentally the hardest bit.

xcretro
    Free Member

is there such a thing as over biking?

monksie
    Free Member

Happens to me quite often. I do 1000 mile months for a few months. Riding road to and from work, ‘cross riding in the evenings, mountain bike at the weekend and then it suddenly falls off a cliff and I barely get out of bed.
    You can get medication for it :-).
    Give it a rest for a while. Minimum of a month. If you don’t feel like riding during or after the month, sell stuff. You won’t lose any more money by waiting 4 weeks.

TheFlyingOx

A week?

Mate, I’ve not been on my road bike for 18 months.
    Not ridden the XC bike in anger for about 4 years.
    So far this year I’ve ridden my ‘big’ MTB 3 times. Once for a spin round Dumyat sometime in May, then Saturday and Sunday at the ‘Ard Rock Enduro back at the beginning of August.
    They’re all still in the garage, and I know should I ever get some time to myself again, they’ll put a smile on my face the minute I set off.

So yeah, you best sell up.

badnewz
    Free Member

Give ya a fiver for your bike.

badnewz
    Free Member

And a packet of cigarettes.

njee20
    Free Member

Give yourself something to ride for. You did a couple of races, then did loads of riding, now thinking of jacking it in. Why not focus on an event or something?

xcretro
    Free Member

perhaps, will see what next week brings….

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Go do something else for a while. I think I’ve logged less than 200 off-road miles this year so far, but I’ve clocked up almost 4’000 road miles.
    I’m not planning on getting rid of my mtb’s as I know I’ll ride them again at some point.

shifter
    Free Member

Since riding in the Alps mid-August I’ve only ridden to work, no mtbing what-so-ever, so naturally I’m thinking of buying a new bike.
    Retro, I think you’ve been over-doing it.

plus-one

Sounds like a new bike/project required 😉

hora
    Free Member

Riding EVERY day 800m a month?

No wonder. Its become transport rather than fun.

njee20
    Free Member

perhaps, will see what next week brings….

Well it’s unlikely to bring something for you to train for, you have to put something in too… 😕

firestarter
    Free Member

I waited about a year before i sold up then did it gradually over 6 months then didn’t miss it for a couple of years. But recently got the bug back and bought a 29er again and have an almost full cx in the shed to build once postie arrives.

But i do regret selling some of the stuff i cant get back

JCL
    Free Member

Give it another week and you’ll be on crack.

Klunk
    Free Member

you should have great rested legs at the moment, get out and give them a go.

tenfoot

Try going out for a run instead of riding your bikes. Half way round you’ll wish you were riding your bikes.

Well, I do anyway.

unovolo
    Free Member

Had a month off a bit ago as had no motivation for it, had a couple of rides a few weeks ago as was starting to get my mojo back and now off the back again due to Tonsilitus.

I have similar phases where I can be riding several times a week and then nothing for a couple of weeks.
    I used to worry about it but nowadays I just go with it.

brooess
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you’ve overdone it. That’s a pretty manic milage.

Take a rest and ride again as and when you feel like it – riding’s something you do for fun, it’s not compulsory and you are allowed to fall out of love with it if you want to!

I often have to make myself go out. I never regret it, but don’t think for a second that every cyclist is some kind of ‘mad for it, can’t ever get enough’ enthusiast…

Just remember to eat less whilst you’re off the bike – you don’t need as many calories when you’re not riding every day.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Take an enforced rest, one month off, no bikes on internet, don’t buy any bike bits, no maintenance, don’t even look at them.

Then see how you feel.

takisawa2

Watching “Ride the Divide” usually gets me off my backside.
    If I’m popping down the shops I’m crossing Montana in my head. 🙂

Have a few weeks off if needed chap.
    Don’t sell up for heavens sake.

xcretro
    Free Member

well guess what….. I bloody well just went out! did about 35 miles mainly off road with some road to ;link trails and canal paths. It felt like my heart wasnt in it at first, there were some fun bits but it mainly felt like I was going through the motions. Anyways, uploaded my ride to stava and to my surprise I got 4 KOM’s and 9 top 10 place cups as well as a few PR’s

guess that couple of weeks off has helped the ol legs. maybe I should do that more often..??

ride like a mad man every day for several months then have a few weeks off.

brooess
    Free Member

Anyways, uploaded my ride to stava and to my surprise I got 4 KOM’s and 9 top 10 place cups as well as a few PR’s

This is your problem. Just ride for the sheer pleasure of it… sod all that measurement and competition stuff – just pedal and enjoy the view, the fresh air and the endorphins!

bikeneil
    Free Member

^^^ This ^^^

aa
    Free Member

Salsa Cycles blog always gives me a thirst to ride my bike more.

Amd once again I find myself agreeing with brooess…..**** strava and all that guff. ride for you, not for stats (unless you’re Alex dwsett) then you’re forgiven. Put the fun back in.

xcretro
    Free Member

that was the fun bit, the KOMS and thats what was getting me out on bike. now I see the KOMS and top 10 places its motivated me to get out again but perhaps as others have said, dont worry about the fact that I lose interest after a heave few months of riding. just take the break and carry on again.

panic over, stuff not being sold. phew! lol

muddy9mtb

staring at memory map generally helps (pine) and indeed any os map. joining a bike club made a difference too.

adsh
    Free Member

I’m about to take an end of season break for 3 weeks and it’s going to be hard to watch that hard won fitness drain away but people much more knowledgeable than me tell me it’s essential to take some time off to avoid staleness and to go into the new programme fresh.

wilburt
    Free Member

What adsh said-
    Im done in for the year, my fitness has never been so good but Sunday mornig I could barely get on the bike. Dont think I will give be able to do nothing but it will be social rides for the rest of the year no big efforts.

crosshair
    Free Member

Last year I went nuts on my training and still only managed 495 miles in August. I think you’ve just over done it. Glad to hear you feel better again but a bit of moderation will keep it fresh. Make this your way of life for the next 20 years rather than a 10min fad.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘losing my enthusiasm, motivation and thinking of selling up’ is closed to new replies.