• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by holst.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Losing a toe nail. What is quick and hurts least?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

https://www.flickr.com/gp/89686376@N04/E3XPd6

It is starting to lift at the left edge.

How long do I stick it down?

Do I cut off the loose edge?

Do I soak it and rip it off?

Advice for a quick and painless removal please

jakd95
    Free Member

Stick it down until it drops off of its own accord perhaps?

orangespyderman

Stick it down until it drops off of its own accord perhaps?

Put this person in charge of your toenails.

cbike
    Free Member

Leave it and nature will sort it. You won’t even notice.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 above – just leave it. Done it many times now, always the same foot for some reason. Just falls off with no pain. Usually think there’s a stone or something in shoe/sock and realise it’s the nail.

Takes yonks. Then when gone it takes half a year to grow back properly. Then if you’re like me you smash your toe on something again (always bike related in my case) and round you go again 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

My finger nail dropped off recently after trapping it spokes.

It went black and after 3 weeks the new nail growing underneath pushed it off. So for about 3 weeks I had half a nail and half with just tough skin.

I don’t know if toenails work the same though.

twisty

Your pain is from the bruising not the nail. Just let the nail do it’s own thing, it is best to keep it for a while while a new nail forms. Whether it falls off or not a new nail will grow underneath it.
    Then it can still take a year or so for the blood from the bruise to grow out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go see a podiatrist? Get some real answers….

MrPottatoHead

There was a picture heavy thread on here a while back of someone doing a ‘self extraction’ which has left an indelible mark on my brain 😯

EDIT: Didn’t think I’d find it but here we go – Linky

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d try taping the nail in place for now and covering it with something offering moderate protection, if anything touches the bit that is normally covered by nail you will most likely scream in pain!

parkesie
    Free Member

Shotgun stop messing around.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

*awaits end of finger lopped off while attempting to remove toenail thread*

DezB
    Free Member

Shotgun stop messing around.

Or nailgun.

Just, I really just need… you know.. I have to.. need to… say, express my enternal and everlasting.. now.. I’m quite emotional and finding it difficult to express how much this means to me… thank you WCA. Thank you so much for NOT POSTING THE PHOTO on the thread!

stever
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 on the way out from running the Welsh 3000s. Both flappy as anything. I won’t be pulling them off though. My toe will know when it’s sensible to get rid. Trust the toe.

turboferret

Mr Pottato Head – I was just about to post a link to my toenail removal thread, but you’ve beaten me to it!

Incidentally I pulled another toenail off on Friday evening, although it was somewhat less gruesome. I also spoke to a podiatrist earlier today about having all of my toenails permanently removed to avoid re-ocurrance 😀

My wife isn’t quite so keen on the idea of me having no nails though 😆

Cheers, Rich

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Really glad I clicked on that link….runs off to vomit.. 😯

DezB
    Free Member

*Laughs at the fool!*

fasthaggis

What would Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes do?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just for TheStabaliser and DezB…

…that didn’t go quite to plan
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/DmCG5T]20160110_180410[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

turboferret

Another alternative would be to remove the offending toe. Might you perhaps have a motorbike with a suitable chain drive?* 😆

Cheers, Rich

*sorry Stoner 😮

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Above is my tame attempt at a Stoner tribute act. It is actually from a while back when I was polishing my fingernail with a tablesaw

thestabiliser
    Free Member

😆 Cracking effort, There’ll be no need for you to donate your body to science when the time comes, they’ll already have most of it!

jambalaya
    Free Member

😯

Never before in my knowledge has anyone had a more appropriate forum name.

I used to lose my big toe nails most seasons (hockey) due to getting hit on the foot by ball/stick. Just let it blacken and it will fall off of its own accord. Yanking it off will cause soft tissue damage and more pain / discomfort. If its causing pain due to trapped blood / bleeding then thats a different story, A&E will lance it with a red hot bit of wire – thank me later !

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I had one flapping on my big toe through playing football many years ago.

Sam, my eldest son and heir was about three and i called him to come to me for a cuddle. He ran forwards and as he reached me he managed to kick the end of my toe and rip off the toe nail as it pushed back against the flap of skin still holding it on (I can still feel it now just typing this).

I howled and cursed and my wife peed herself laughing. Sam just looked confused.

At least it was quick.

He’s 25 now, I can send him around if you like?

stuey
    Free Member

Hot paperclip through the nail – to let out the ‘old blood’?

holst
    Free Member

Toenail removal is easy. Ride a bike barefoot and stand up and pedal. Slide your foot off the front of the pedal so the toenails drag on the road and the back of your ankle jams back against the pedal. Stings a bit, but your toenails will be gone before you know it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Losing a toe nail. What is quick and hurts least?’ is closed to new replies.