Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Loosing studs from Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's, whats acceptable ?
  • Woodentop
    Free Member

Bought a pair of 29″ Ice Spiker pros in December 2013 from Chain Reaction, ran them on the road @ 15psi for about 43kn to bed them in, they’ve since hung in the shed for 12 month. Fitted them last week for a ride (24km), I expected to loose a few spikes but lost 22 from the front and 48 from the rear !
    If they keep falling out at that rate then theirs not gonna be many left after a few decent winter rides.
    I’ve previously used some (second hand) 26″ Ice Spikers and didn’t seem to have any issues.
    I’ve contacted Chain Reaction, but just wondered if anyone else has had similar issues. Would you expect some replacement tyres / spikes or is it just tough sh*t ??

Cheers

palmer77
    Free Member

I have the road version, but the last time I used them was Jan 2012 with the last real ice. I think for my version (700c) you had to bed them in at 40psi, and through the winter I ran them at that when it was icy, and 80psi when not. I only ever had 1 come loose though, and even that is still in the tyre compound. It sounds like that the tyres themselves have adapted to not being used to lose that many, and you would have to redo the bedding in process???

bumper
    Free Member

If you email schwalbe UK, they may send you a handful of replacement studs.

Northwind

That’s ridiculous- I’ve lost a few studs from my pros and I put it down to hard braking on unfrozen trails. It’s not just that it’s unacceptable, it’s unsafe- you’re going to reach some ice and your spikes won’t be spikes any more.

I’d be chasing for warranty return myself, the timelapse might make it awkward but they can hardly argue with the low miles. But studs and a tool to fit them are available (the studs aren’t quite the same as the Pro studs but they seem to work just the same). My feeling is, you’d replace the studs in these tyres and they’ll just fall out again.

molgrips
    Free Member

I only lost studs on well bedded in tyres on a rocky ride in the beacons. I don’t think rocks are very good for them…

Woodentop
    Free Member

Had a reply from CRC mid week, and after a couple of emails and some pics, they’ve asked for them to be returned so they can forward them onto Schwalbe UK for inspection. So atleast they don’t seem to have an issue with them being purchased over 12 month ago, just have to wait and see what Schwalbe say.

MicArms

Had the same issue with some schwalbe ice spikes, lost about 13 of the studs… quick email to uk office and a bag of 30 studs was sent same day.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I ran the 26″ version last week in the Alps and they held together over clear tarmac, ice covered tarmac and the odd piste… I was impressed by them.

Woodentop
    Free Member

Full refund given by CRC, so can’t grumble really. No word from CRC or Schwalbe if there was a problem with them or if I was just unlucky.
    Any alternatives to Ice Spiker Pro’s ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lost about 50 over 8 hours at the puffer. Quite rocky tho.

They were borrowed too!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Loosing studs from Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's, whats acceptable ?’ is closed to new replies.