• This topic has 46 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Loosing friends because I'm smelly
  • Nainosliw
    Free Member

Anyone got any advice about washing technical polyester fabrics to prevent whiffyness – I've got Berghaus polly base layers, buffs and a beanie or two that all whiff a bit. They go in the machine after every ride/wearing and it isn't <i>me</i> that smells (cos cotton and merino don't knog when I wear them). Seem clean enough when they go on the old bod, but after a while start to give out that familiar mountain-biking smell!

peakmonster
    Free Member

Maybe time for some new clobber?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ah… 😥

Following a sinus infection, I have no sense of smell. I'll be your friend!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

m-e-r-i-n-o 🙂

simon_g

The usual 30/40 degree washes aren't hot enough to kill the bacteria that like to stick to man-made fibres. Try using something else that will kill it, like Napisan.

Moses

I also stink when I use technical fibres, so I've given up wearing them next to my skin. My mates stink too, so we remain friends.

tron
    Free Member

Buy new kit. I wear whatever synthetic jerseys are cheap as they always end up mank. Or if you have the money, buy something with merino in it.

ton

i quite like that pi55y smell that manmade baselayers smell of, when drying in the pub after a ride.
    i find it comforting……… 8)

CHB

merino is your friend.
    I too am a sweaty bloke (most of us are!) and Embers and Smartwool are my social saviours.

warpcow
    Free Member

Try washing at 90 (I've had HH tops that it worked fine for), if that kills it buy Merino. If not…

…buy merino anyway.

Talkemada
    Free Member

i quite like that pi55y smell that manmade baselayers smell of, when drying in the pub after a ride.

Jeeze, no wonder all the pubs are closing down….

bassspine
    Free Member

I do a soak of my manmade shirts in water with teatree oil before washing it. The teatree is an antibacterial.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Cheers – looking forward to an active social life 🙂

househusband

Hang outside in the sun to dry – I've been told that the UV rays help kill the smelly bugs.

Oh, and merino…

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Reminds me of the induction course I went on years ago when the head of personnel (it was that long ago) gave a talk on the problems of the post citing a situation where people refused to go in a car with someone due to the BO, how delicacy was required, and how would we handle that. One attendee chimed in with "Naw that widnae happen, his mates would just say hey pal you're honkin'" The HoP's face was a picture.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Wash with a clear silk/wool liquid and no fabric softner.

Harsh liquids and softners tend to stop the breathability of the fabrics…..and as above if all else fails merino is your friend 🙂

mieszko
    Free Member

I wash all the polyester stuff with liquid wash for delicates, non-bio, and Tesco own brand costs 75p for a bottle (similar silk/wool branded liquid will be £3 :-)). Washing in 40 degrees work for me, doesn't have fabric conditioner so the tops are clean and do not smell, however You have to wash poly tops after every ride as they will smell bad pretty quick if You try to wear them 2-3 times, also dry them quickly after a ride or put straight in the washing machine.

And also +1 for merino. Got myself a top from Trekmates and it is brilliant, it doesn't smell but what is even better than polyester tops it will be warm when wet and that made a huge difference during winter rides.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I couldn't find any napisan when someone suggested this before. I chuck in a cap of dettol lavender when washing synthetics – seems to help a bit

cinnamon_girl

Are you a sweaty bloke anyway? Do you use proper soap? What deodorant do you use, if any? Are you properly hydrated?

Could be loads of reasons, including diet.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Don't think it is me in particular – I don't pong in ordinary shirts, or when wearing merino or cotton. Only when biking in polly.

But yes I'm a sweaty b*gger, like to run hot on the bike rather than cold, use deodorant, eat normally tending to the vege end of the spectrum, drink plenty, shower twice a day and take my boots off before going to bed with my wife.

cinnamon_girl

Nainosliw – oh gosh! Just re-read my post and it comes across as a bit rude. 😳 Apologies, not implying anything untoward re your personal habits!

theboatman
    Free Member

But do you use one of those deodorants for problem sweat'ers? 😉

Nainosliw
    Free Member

No probs CG – but I do think it's the tops. I'll give the Milton idea a go and if that doesn't work I've got some sterilysing crystals left over from a flirtation with home-brewing some time ago – I could steep them in that!

Nainosliw
    Free Member

theboatman – is this a fabric treatment for woolly jumpers? Or do you mean "for people who sweat a lot"

theboatman
    Free Member

The latter, sorry, and my childish joke doesn't seem so funny to me now 😳

Pierre

I've got a couple of technical tops that are pretty much beyond hope, but they're both over eight years old.

I haven't dared nuke them on a 90 degree wash, but I've generally found that soaking them, and others, in bio washing powder (and 40 degree water) for a while does a pretty good job of stopping them being smelly. My washing machine has a "soak" button where you can basically pause one section of the wash cycle for anything up to about four hours to allow the washing to soak in the soap solution – I've found that helps but of course you can always just use a bowl of water and powder.

That said, merino really is pretty good at not smelling like old technical tops. It smells a bit like merino (the eternal reek of damp wool ; ), but that's not as offensive a smell!

: P

cinnamon_girl

As soon as I come back from a ride, I always throw my stuff in the washing machine. Might be worth a try?

As regards merino, I've been impressed with it but have noticed that it gets very damp although not ponging. But I also believe that wearing a backpack doesn't help!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

My old Helle Hansen smells like a wet dog, maybe I'll try it on a hotter wash.

bighendo
    Free Member

….dont EVER, use fabric conditioners either,
    they fookin stink worse than any body odour!!

bigant

Always found soaking them with bicarbonate of soda overnight works fine. can get it in bulk from swimming pool supply shops.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Dylon (and Vanish, I think) make an anti-bacterial powder you put in with your normal washing powder/liquid, to kill the bugs.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

So what is the reason for NOT using fabric conditioner? I noted that quite a lot of tech tops say not to use it, what does it do to the fabric that is not good?

I tend to put all my washing in in one go, but sometimes I'll do my tech stuff all together but I can't justify a full washing cycle for one top and pair of shorts after one ride so let the stuff build up over a few days, but I'm guessing this won't be doing them any good sitting there smelly for a few days? I'm looking for the holy grail of cleaning too, my merino top I can wear all week on my commute to work but that's early morning and late evening, wouldn't want to wear it for a hot daytime ride though … any casual fit/look merino anywhere, all seems to be tight fitting?

Ti29er
    Free Member

I had something similar once.
    It stemmed from the clothes not drying very well – just the once.
    Every time thereafter when they got wet, there'd be an odd smell.

Replace the kit.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I find the normal detergents dont do anything for "technical clothing".
    The Granger/Nikwax techwash stuff does a better job of removing the smell IME.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Top Tip!

Put your top through the wash as usual, don't have to do this first but it all helps.

Buy cheap thin bleach for about 70p a bottle. Pour a capful or two in a half a bucket of hot water (5-10 lites) water and steep your newly washed top on it. Leave for half an hour to an hour but do not leave in overnight.

Rinse out with cold clean water and then bung the top back in the wash.

It should stay sterilised for a few more rides and washes before you need to do it again. Alter bleach concentration and frequency of steeping until you're unsmelly and happy.

This worked with the stinky tops I've done it to (endura and gore) and it doesn't seem to ruin the colours, but test a patch first if your not sure.

J0N
    Free Member

I have an older 8 years + HH top that can smell to high heaven. For washing I take the top off ASAP when finishing the ride and allow it to dry as much as possible before putting it in a bag. Wash with non Bio and that is all. It doesn't smell until I put it back on and within 20mins its as bad as ever so I never put it on while travelling only as I'm heading out on the bike.
    Poly tops are really the only option in warm weather, merino just holds to much moisture. I've got an Endura tranmission poly top and its much better than the HH for minimising smell but its not anywhere near Merino or Bamboo tops.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Two major tips from my experience:
    "The usual 30/40 degree washes aren't hot enough to kill the bacteria that like to stick to man-made fibres. Try using something else that will kill it, like Napisan. " Agreed – hot washes 60+ are reserved for when the kit starts to smell.

And dry stuff outside – the sun (as little as we have) seems to have a massive effect on the bacteria too. Tumble driers and hanging inside are the death-warrant of smelly clothing, they just get worse and worse.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

A liberal dosing of ecover or similar non bio liquid wash and then drying outside works for me and I use cheappy tops from budget outdoors shops etc.

I think the key is not letting them fester.

woodsman
    Free Member

Apply stain remover(Shout or similar) on the smelly area (pits) and wash as normal – done!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Soak in bleach. Seems to work on my base layers and they're still in good nick… (Berghaus and Northface)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Loosing friends because I'm smelly’ is closed to new replies.