Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Loose crown race – A problem?
  • letmetalktomark

Just fitted two headsets and the crown races are both loose on their new forks 😕

I know the trick of shimming/glueing the race etc but how much of an issue would it likely be?

Both headsets are sealed bearing units.

All help/advice most welcome 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have done this without a problem with coke can.

Have seen electrical tape used (by a noted London bike shop no less!), a bodge too far for me.

Fluff66
    Free Member

If the play is due to re-using a crown race seat several times (ie race is worn ) Just buy a new crown race.

If it's the steerer tube that's worn – look at botches. If there's lots of play it's easy to shim it. V small amounts of play = harder to shim and whatever you use (have done tinfoil before) will probably wear out pretty quick. In which case: get a headset with a split (compression style) lower crown race like wot FSA used to make if you can still find one …or cut a crown race yourself. I checked with tech support at FSA and they said no issues with cutting lower crown race on an XL2 as the lower bearing will press onto the crown race taper and clamp it onto the steerer tube…much like the upper compression ring. (Clearly the design of the lower race is important here and this fix won't work for all headsets)

Electrical tape??? That's gonna get worn through in 1 ride

When you say "How much of an issue is this gonna be?"…If you mean is it OK to run with a loose headset – I wouldn't . You'll cause further wear at an accelerated rate. The wear will either be in the crown race (easily replaceable) or the steerer tube (very expensive)

Sam

what fluff said. What is the age/material of both the crown race and the steeerer?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd be a bit wary of slotting it if it's oversized at the moment.

titusrider
    Free Member

these arnt some 29er rebas with lots of scratches on the steerer too is it ??
    😉

Fluff66
    Free Member

Al

The bearing has a taper on it's inner wall. The crown race on an XL2 has a taper that marries up to the bearing

If the crown race is cut, as you tighten the headset, the bearing pushes down and clamps the crown seat onto the steerer tube.

The XL2 and several FSA headsets came as standard with slotted crown races up until a few years ago. Slotted races and none slotted ones were interchangeable. If you had eg an XL2, you could either buy a slotted crown race or an unslotted one, or you could buy an unslotted one and cut your own slot in it.

letmetalktomark

Headsets are both new Ritchey Logic WCS's and forks are (1) new Kona P2's and (2) Salsa Cromotos – Not so new 😕

Both crown races slide straight over the lip on the fork

Fluff66
    Free Member

Strange – 2 crown races and 2 different forks.

Just a though along the lines of QC issue at Ritchey. …. It it was me, I'd grab any old different crown race off someone/LBS/bottom of toolbox and see if you have same issue. If your borrowed crown race fits correctly…. would suggest an issue with Ritchey manufacturing. If it's loose…suggests your steerer tube worn.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Loose crown race – A problem?’ is closed to new replies.