• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Loose cassette on mavic freehub
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just doing a little clean and noticed that the 1071 cassette has a small amount of side to side play on my mavic carbone hub (2013/14 model) probably no more than a couple of mm but noticeable by hand if you push the outside of the cassette.

Is this something to be worried about? Sign the freehub needs a service? Bearings feel smooth. It may have always been like this, and I’ve o ly just noticed.

wwaswas

Is the cassette moving on the freehub or the freehub moving on the axle?

You can adjust bearing preload on mavic wheels, I think?

DT78
    Free Member

I think it is the cassette on the freehub. But can’t be sure unless I take the whole thing apart, which will be a bit of a chore and not got time this evening. Suppose that is probably the most sensible thing to do… I think the preload just affects the bearings on axle, so as to stop play in the whole wheel/axle. not just the cassette. If that makes sense?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Daft question but do Mavic hubs still need the little 1.7mm freehub spacer inboard of the cassette? Something to do with Campag compatibility IIRC.

I forgot to put mine back on after changing cassette a little while back and it resulted in exactly what you describe.

EDIT: Linky: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mystery-spacer-behind-cassette

andyb39
    Free Member

If it’s the cassette loose on the freehub, have you checked the lock ring is done up properly?

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm, no spacer there, cassette is the orginal which can fitted to the wheels, (summer only wheels so they get an easy life). I’d assume the locking is tight, looks like I need to take a closer look. Ah well it needs degrease whilst I’m at it. Job for the weekend.

If it was to be one of those spacers are they easy to source? Assuming CRC stock them?

Edit looks like they do.

From what I’ve read I shouldn’t need it for a scram 10 speed?

Effing Tudor watch advert Again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Loose cassette on mavic freehub’ is closed to new replies.