Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Loose Bottom Bracket
  • dougieb
    Free Member

I purchased a used fireline Evo frame which I’m thoroughly enjoying.Unfortunately the drive side BB keeps working loose no matter how tightly I snug it up. The threads in the frame seem ok and the hope cup seems to engage when you screw it in.Currently have the threads greased – any reason why I shouldn’t clean them up and try some thread lock – is this advised with a titanium frame ? Anything else that I could do to try to rectify ?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ok 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there more to this post?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Well, since there have been 2 posts that are no help at all I’ll try and be constructive.

Once a BB has worked loose it’s ruined. Throw it away and get a new one. Grease it well; you don’t want it seizing as alloy in Ti loves to do.

Buy a BB socket; the spanners are rubbish. Torque it up. If it still comes loose you need a new frame coz the thread is worn.

Enjoy!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

“Snugging” how many Nm is that?
    Bottom brackets need to be pretty tight.

Take it to a shop and get it fitted properly, to torque, with a little threadlock.

If it still comes loose, what he said. Get a new one and fit it properly from the start off. The shop might even tell you it’s dead before they fit it. Saves a bit of a headache.

rhayter

Years (and years) ago, I had a similar problem with a standard cartridge BB (XT) in my titanium Marin. I worked out that I was flexing the BB when I climbed (I was a lot stronger rider then) and that worked the BB loose. No solution seemed to last more than 2 rides…

dougieb
    Free Member

I didn’t use a torque wrench to fit but after it worked loose the first time I tried to tighten it up pretty darn tight. It’s a hope BB that doesn’t seem to want to die and it has seen service on a number of bikes. It is possible that the threads on the the cup have seen better days. I’ve cleaned out the shell on the frame and the threads do look good, no sign of cross threading, still look level etc.

I think the first step is to by a new BB and see if that sorts it. Anything better than hope out there ?

ThePinkster

I’ve had problems with XTR BB’s working loose in the past and found that wrapping the cup threads a couple of times with PTFE tape solved the problem.

It’ll also reduce the chance of galvanic corrosion between the alloy cups & Ti frame too.

dougieb
    Free Member

The PTFE tape is something that I considered doing as well. Did you use any grease / copper slip as well or just the tape ?

jeffl

Before spunking out on a new BB I’d suggest a good amount of threadlock or the PTFE route. If neither fix it you’ve only lost a bit of time and effort rather than the cost of a new BB. I guess the other option is to go for a cheap Deore BB. If that fixes it then there’s a good chance it was the BB. If it’s still an issue it’s either the frame or the way you’re installing it.

ThePinkster

Did you use any grease / copper slip as well or just the tape ?

Just the tape for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Loose Bottom Bracket’ is closed to new replies.