Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Loop from Tyncornel/Golgoch YHA via Cwm Rhaeadr
  • Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi

I am looking to go on a little road trip next week and fancied a night at one of the above YHAs so that I could do a loop from there out to Cwm Rhaeadr and back.

Does anyone have a route they can recommend?

I am looking at next Wednesday as the most likely day… I reckon there is a good chance of high pressure and good weather but then I am a bit of an optimist.

As for which YHA to stop at it will depend on the routes suggested but Tyncornel is favourite right not as it has electricity and hot water but I am told Golgoch has been refurbed and now has a solar hot water system.

Thanks

Mbnut
    Free Member

No ideas out there…

Mbnut
    Free Member

Bumped for the morning guys

mtbmatt
    Free Member

There are a few options, but its difficult to explain.

Tyn y Cornel would be my preference, the doethie valley will be fine to ride despite the rain, its always wet.
    It’s a complicated area to describe a route really.

I’d do Doethie valley, then into Tywi forest, down the Cynnant descent. From there its road to Cwm Rhaeadr. After that you could head over Mynydd Mallean to Cwrt y Cadno. Still want a bit more then there is a route off-road back to Tyn y Cornel past Hafod Las.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi Matt

I think I have scoped the route you are proposing on the old Bing OS, couldn’t spot ‘then into Tywi forest, down the Cynnant descent’.

A GPX would be dreamy if anyone has one… be the first time I have used the Garmin in anger!

Looks like about 50km, which is a fair bit… are the trails likely to be mostly passable or is there a fair bit of swampy grassland type stuff… that run over Mynydd Mallean looks like it could be a bit damp.

Thanks for your help.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It’s really hard to describe Tywi forest, you just follow the forest road for a while then join the bridleway, although the top section on the map doesn’t exist. Nor does the bridleway out, so just use the farm track.

Mallaen is OK, depending on which way you use to get up. The worst section would be if you were to make a loop on top, but if you drop to Cwrt y Cadno its OK.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Had a good look at the map and think I have some ideas… thanks for your help Matt.

Just looking forward to some time out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Loop from Tyncornel/Golgoch YHA via Cwm Rhaeadr’ is closed to new replies.