Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • looking to buy a fixie/singlespeed….
  • the_prophet
    Free Member

having sold all my bikes a couple of months ago due to cashflow issues, looking to get something cheapish so i can say i have a bike again, and something i can use just on the streets to get me out.

recently keep seeing some really nice looking fixie/singlespeeds (and sorry to use this word but its early) bling looking. i want.

question is wheres best to place to buy one? done a quick search on internet which didnt throw up much, any ideas? theres a bright orange on the bay at the min thats looking awesome but its too small

thanks

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

on-one pompino?

crazy-legs

Specialized Langster
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Genesis (something-or-other)
    Cotic Roadrat/Simple (frame only)
    Charge Plug (several varieties)

Have a look here:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/complete-bikes/single-speed-bikes
    for a few more ideas

sc-xc

Any nice fixie will be custom. The off the peg ones are all a bit ugly.

(plus, you can do it loads better for cheaper if you throw it together yourself)

alpin
    Free Member

pick up an road old frame.

new set of wheels, if built by you, can be done for ~£100.

that cost me ~€250. went rumaging through the odd boxes in the bike shop for brake, post, bars.

only the wheels, saddle, chain and bar tape are new.

oh, that is with a flip-flop hub.

alexonabike

I have a Surly Steamroller custom build that I may be selling in a month or 2’s time.

Great frame.

epicyclo

Fuji Track has a very nice double butted steel frame and has good geometry for the road. Beware of “cool” boutique brands who do not make their own frames – especially generic imported and unbutted tubing, all you are getting is image and flash stickers on a crap frame.

Pompinos are good frames, but not the lightest or prettiest. Their big advantage is they use v-brakes, you can fit racks, and there’s room for fatter tyres, so they are useable offroad too. Probably the best fixie for a person with mountain biker habits!

In alloy, the Giant Bowery has a nice feel and a very direct power delivery. I would buy one of those if I didn’t have too many bikes already. Sometimes these are available at bargain prices.

I would never convert another old cheap steel geared bike. Their chainstays are often too flexy for steep climbs – you can flex it so much that the rim will rub on the brake, or if no brake, on the chain stay. No good if you are trying to climb. Ok if you don’t have steep climbs maybe, but generally a PITA otherwise, and not noticeably cheaper than getting a proper frame secondhand. It can be a very satisfying project though – look how nice Alpin’s bike is.

Warning: I’m biased – I own a Fuji and Pompino – but that’s really a case of putting my money where my mouth is.

stoney
    Free Member

My ss, all blinged up and cost 2.5k

thepodge
    Free Member

cant you get track mounts for the Pace, it would look a lot cleaner then that chain tensioner

sc-xc

^ and lose some pink. Less is more 😉

Anthony
    Free Member

The Pace is a lovely build but the angle that photo is taken makes the bike look absolutely horrible.

richcc
    Free Member

Like the Pace but second the chain tensioner point.

Friends don’t let friends buy chain tensioners

If you are making that much effort/throwing that amount of money at it get EBB kit or that hub with adjustment built in

aw
    Free Member

I second the Fuji. you can get a SE Lager (Fuji) for about £300. The frame is steel and gives a very positive power transfer plus the steel takes a little of the buzz out of the road. It is a little heavy at 21.5 pounds but this Ok on fairly flat ground. The 48 x 16 ratio is quite to push up very steep hills (so get off and walk). I prefer my other SS which is an alu framed crosser self build. The ratio on that one is only 42 x 16 which is better where I live (Kent – north downs).

I heard things about the giant Bowery and the Cotic Road rat. The Cotic might be a little bit expensive if you are looking for true budget however.

my crosser SS

Lager shots…

Bull horn bars

the_prophet
    Free Member

pace is nice buts just a mtb converted to singlespeed which i dont want. plus this is suppose to be cheap!! ha.

some good suggestions in here though, that fuji lager ^^^^^ looks pretty tasty to be honest! hmmm…..google search, “fuji bikes”

aw
    Free Member

shame just sold mine on fleabay for £190.

But you can get them for around £300 new.

thepodge
    Free Member

i’ve just converted my old kona (£100 off ebay 3 years ago) to SS for town use. cost me an extra £30 tops and some elbow grease

the_prophet
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘looking to buy a fixie/singlespeed….’ is closed to new replies.