Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Looking for some Easter family sunshine – where?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

There are 2x adults and 1x 7 yr old, plus 2x 70 year olds. Ready to fly at Easter to Mediterranean or somewhere like Madeira but haven’t got a clue where to start. We would like sunshine and beach, and some local culture with not too much chavtastic-ness.

Where do you recommend??

lasty
    Free Member

Southern coast – Turkey ??

History on your doorstep, good friendly folk and early enough to miss the Chavy side of things…

Mikkel
    Free Member

Madeira 🙂

Just been there for the second time last week.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I really like Madeira, just returned from our second trip there. Although golden sandy beaches are in short supply, but some lovely rock pool swimming areas. Weather should be great that time of year, better towards the south eastern side of the island. Where you want to base yourselves would depend on if you intend to hire a car, how close you want to be to things etc.?

mogrim

I visited Madeira about 10 years ago, as ebygomm says sandy beaches don’t really exist, but if that’s not a deal-breaker it’s a lovely place to visit.

Otherwise the Canary Islands, avoid the cheaper areas and they’re not too chavtastic.

takisawa2

Did Turkey last May. 100% would recomend it. Had fantastic time. Gambia is nice then, it’s had 7 months of the dry season so pretty much mozzy free. Needs jabs though, but great experience.

cakefest
    Free Member

We don’t really want to hire a car, but I’m liking the look of Canico rather than Funchal. Have heard there’s quite a bit of construction going on in Funchal after the floods in 2010.

Where did you all stay when you were in Madeira? Self catering? Hotels? Or what?

stumpy01

Turkey is nice. Somewhere near Side….or Calis beach is nice, but pretty quiet.

Lanzarote will be just warming up too, but probably not as warm as Turkey.

Mikkel
    Free Member

self catering in Arco De Calheta.
    They are redoing the whole seafront by the harbour in Funchal at the moment.

What ebygomm said about weather should have said South West not East.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We stayed in apartments booked through ownersdirect, so self catering.

Can’t say I noticed anymore construction going on in Funchal than anywhere else on Madeira. If you don’t want to hire a car I’d personally stick with Funchal over Canico

Fat-boy-fat

Going to Madeira myself at the end of March. Staying in Funchal. Any biking recommendations? I’ve booked my bike on the plane in vain hope.

Mackem

Valencia.
    Malaga, but Malaga proper, not Torremolinos etc.

pete68
    Free Member

Hopefully the sun will be in Porlock. As thats where I’ll be!!!

Mikkel
    Free Member

Fat-boy, we saw groups of people on mountainbikes up on paul de serra, and down by arco de calheta we walked up a fairly steep old dirt road which would make a nice bit of downhill.
    Think there is some scope for some nice riding, but going to require some exploring to find it. as not much info online at all.

Fat-boy-fat

Ta Mikkel

cakefest
    Free Member

Have ended up booking for Madeira and we’re all getting excited. Anyone got any good recommendations on things to see and do while we’re there?? – other than relaxing by the pool of course.

Your recommendations for good eateries will be appreciated too.

mogrim

Was 10 years ago, but the cable car up to the top of Funchal was excellent, and the gardens at the top well worth a visit.

The other, smaller towns are nice too.

And enjoy the landing, not sure what side of the plane you want to sit on to get the best view (I think the right) but it’s pretty impressive…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Looking for some Easter family sunshine – where?’ is closed to new replies.