Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Looking for some advice on a new MTB
  • frozenwhite
    Free Member

Although I suppose if it’s much better value than the Boardman I shoukd probably look beyond the colour. Decisions decisions. Can we do polls on this forum? 😀

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Right. I’m going for the bossnut. Only thing is a lot of the reviews say they are badly built in store. I have a workmate who has been riding MTB for years and built loads of bikes. Do you think it would be worthwhile building myself with him rather than have the shop do it. He did offer to help me before and I was thinking it would help me understand how it goes together for maintenance etc

joebristol

Boardman Team FS vs Bossnut V2:

In terms of value they have similar travel aluminium frames, but with a slightly different suspension system, big should be fine. Let’s call it a draw.

Forks is RS sector silver for both bikes – 130vs140mm travel. Pretty much the same thing and both have bolt through maxles. Draw.

Rear shock – Boardman has a RS monarch R vs Bossnut has the same. Draw.

Groupset – both have 2×10 groupsets – it’s Deore vs SRAM GX. I’d say the GX is probably a higher spec groupset than Shimano Deore. It often is more compared to Shimano Slx and maybe even Xt at a stretch. Boardman wins.

Brakes – I think the Shimano Deore on the Bossnut are probably better than the Avids on the Boardman – Bossnut wins.

Wheels I’m not sure on. The mavics on the Boardman were fine for me (they’re also specced on the Pro) but the internal rim size is quite narrow and I’m not sure if they’re tubeless ready. Maybe the Bossnut wheels are better?

Tyres much of a muchness. Finishing kit – both are probably a similar standard too.

So in terms of value they’re pretty close. Both are from large stores where bikes aren’t their main business so it very much depends on individuals in each store as to the quality of bike service you get.

From my experience with Halfords they were pretty good for me – I’ve not had a Calibre but the mk1 Bossnut seemed to have a manufacturing issue with some of their frames that didn’t seem to get resolved either quickly or that well in some cases.

For me I’d go for the Boardman on balance, but equally I could understand people getting the Bossnut too.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Just when I thought I was set on the bossnut Joe comes along and throughs a spanner in the works 😆

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Own the Bossnut V2 in size L.

My recommendation with Decathlon: great low cost “soft goods” – but terrible bikes. Stay away from their mountain bikes! Hopefully they redesign them soon – but right now: these a no entry level mountain bikes. They are wasted money…!

Bossnut V2: yes, Calibre does a crappy pre-assembly Job. But for me the couple hours additional work were a good deal. Bike rides excellent. Mountain biking is hard on the stuff – means you need anyway sooner or later tools and knowledge how to replace and service the bike.
    If 1 k is your limit the Bossnut V2 is the right bike.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

For everyone saying bossnut. What would you say makes it a better option than the Boardman

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Don’t know if “hardtail” is an option at all for you.
    If “fun” is the goal – maybe check also hardtails like:

Merida Big Trail
    27.5 inch PLUS tires.
    130 mm front fork. Geometry of the bike is focused onto fun, fun, fun.
    Cheapest version – the “600” – sells in “winter sale” for around 999 Euros.

Review for the mid version “800”:
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/merida-big-trail-review

Review for the high end version “900”:
    https://www.imbikemag.com/reviews/bikes/hard-tails/merida-bikes-big-trail-900-2017/

Rode an hardtail for many years and I’am happy with my Bossnut V2 now. I wanted to give a full suspension bike a try…
    But doubt that you won’t enjoy such a great, new 27.5 inch “PLUS” hardtail with modern fun geometry.
    The “BIG TRAIL” is only one example of this type of new fun hardtails.

If you get the “600” for under 1 k this Merida (or similar PLUS bike)might be a bike for you as well. Simple. Rugged. High quality. Fun.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Sorry – didn’t see the Boardman / Bossnut question.

Stated in one “post”: forget the Decathlon B Twin full suspension bikes (and praised the Bossnut V2 ride quality…- I ride this bike quite often). And yes – these Decathlon bikes are terrible beasts!
    In an other “post” I proposed to have also a look at modern 27.5 PLUS fun hardtails like the Merida BIG TRAIL.

And the Boardman? The Boardman I don’t really know. The “data” of the Boardman Team FS appear to be very nice indeed. But never rode one.
    In other words: the Boardman might be an interesting option as well!
    My strong opinion “for” the Bossnut was more based in contrast to the – in my opinion – terrible decathlon full suspension bikes…
    Bossnut V2: rides extremely good. Calibre pre assembly is low quality so. But parts very good. Well balanced design. Long term quality: don’t know yet. I don’t pamper the Bossnut – means I will know in 2 or 3 years?
    No idea how the assembly quality of the Boardman is and if it’s possible to say something about the long term quality already.
    Possible it beats the Bossnut there? I just don’t know.

joebristol

Couple more thoughts on looking at both bikes:

Geometry – comparing large to large the Bossnut is longer in reach and top tube. I can’t find the wheelbase of the Bossnut but assume it’s longer. The head angle of the Bossnut is 1.7 degrees slacker than the team FS and seat angles / chainstay length are the same. This probably means the Bossnut will be a bit more stable at high speed but have slower steering on flat / twisty terrain. Neither bike has a particularly short stem or really wide handlebar. The Bossnut geo is probably a bit more modern.

Build quality is potentially the same – both chains have their good and bad staff – it’s just pot luck I reckon. I guess Halfords sell more bikes overall.

On rear suspension design they aren’t quite the same. The Boardman is a genuine 4 bar with a Horst link – the Bossnut looks like a linkage driven single pivot. Read into that what you will.

It’s a shame neither chain do test rides so you could see which you like more to ride.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Haha. Nice discussion…!
    Older quote from joebristol (Boardman / Bossnut):

“..Wheels I’m not sure on. The mavics on the Boardman were fine for me (they’re also specced on the Pro) but the internal rim size is quite narrow and I’m not sure if they’re tubeless ready. Maybe the Bossnut wheels are better?..”

add on for this detail:

I sometimes ask myself – why the heck ist the Bossnut riding so great?
    One answer might be the correct rim / tire size.
    Own an older bike with 19 mm internal rim size and 2.25 inch tires.
    Even with excellent Enduro tires aggressive cornering was difficult (no matter what tire pressure I used) – the cross section of the tires was “round”, very difficult to engage the side studs of the tires.

Example of excellent detail with the Bossnut:
    WTB rims with 25 mm internal rim size (and nice Enduro 2.3 inch WTB style tire on the front and lower quality 2.25 WTB tyre on the rear).

The frame and fork is made for max. 2.3 inch tires.
    And cornering with the Bossnut?
    A blast. The cross section of the tires on the very wide rims are not “round” at all. The cross section simply looks right/perfect. Means you lean a bit into the curve and the side studs are engaged right away thus making you pushing even harder into the curves (putting a bit more weight onto the front!).

Boardman has 19 mm internal rim and 2.2 inch tires?
    This is very close to the sizing of my old bike which didn’t work out for me. Halfords could easily change/improve this!!!

Calibre: although I’am not happy with the pre-assembly quality I’am impressed how they matched the components. Most probably they have very good advice from professional bikers or they listen carefully to the mtb community?

Hub, spoke, rim long term quality (Bossnut): no idea
    but performance (matching rim / tire): excellent! On the paper these difference in numbers look “small”. On the trail they are HUGE.

But all this is already detail, detail, detail stuff!

Boardman / Bossnut competition: would be nice if these guys keep on improving and learning from each other.
    Would be good for us!!!

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I popped in for a look at the bossnut. Really like it. Unfortunately the Halfords I went in for a look at the Boardman didn’t have one

gwurk
    Free Member

None of Halfords stores seem to have them in stock. Order one online and it’ll be delivered to your store of choice. You don’t have to buy it.

gwurk
    Free Member

in short.

Coming from a road background and being new to mtb the Boardman’s geometry should suit you better.
    The Bossnut’s geometry is better if you want your reach/Headangle numbers to sound RAD. But it won’t really help unless you’re riding places where stability at speed is an issue.
    The Boardman’s rear suspension should stay more active under rear braking.

I’ve ridden both but I’m tryin to be impartial.

19mm rims for trail riding with 2.2-2.35 tyres are absolutely fine. wide rims only really came into fashion when everyone started craving much lower tyre pressures. being a road rider you’ll probably be happy on the firmer side of tyre pressures anyway.

Brakes/gearing on both bikes are great. infact all the components on both bikes are at this price.

You can worry far too much about the details. Go with the frame that suits your needs best.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Yes – these are details.

But not so sure about the “fashion” issue.
    Lower tire pressure means more grip and “wide” tires on slim rims get the wrong shape (for mountain bike riding).

One of my mountain bikes has the 19 mm rim and 2.25 tires.
    In “more challenging” trails – and with this bike – I have to struggle to keep pace with my friends.
    25 mm rims and 2.3 or 2.25 tires: really a huge difference!

And yes. 2.25 or 2.3 inch tires are absolutely fine for the trail biking.
    If “fast and technical” is the focus 2.4 inch tires are max maybe (but they don’t fit into the Boardman or Bossnut).

New, playful trail hardtails like the MERIDA BIG TRAIL gain from the new PLUS tires. Up to 2.8 inch makes sense for these type of bikes?

Above that the FATBIKES start. Different kind of animal…

Boardman / Bossnut: yes you are right. The frame is key.
    Details like rims and similar is easy to change later on.

What’s not so easy to change and where I can’t say anything about the quality (nor for Bossnut nor for Boardman):
    bushings / bearings for the rear suspension. No idea how long they will last.

I ride the Bossnut a lot in mud too. But before riding I always spray silicone spray onto those linkage points. Just to avoid water/crap getting into those swivels. These items won’t have – for sure – the quality which you might find in a 2.5 k bike.
    But that’s clear.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I really need to make a decision but keep going back from one to the other 🙄

mm93
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden either but would get the calibre myself, just because I think it looks nicer and has slightly more modern geometry.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Many, many good winter deals out there right now…

I enjoy my Bossnut V2.
    Personally would only go with a full suspension for “1 k” if you don’t really need the bike shop to keep it running.

Otherwise: spend 500 bucks more and look for a winter sale for a fully suspenion bike which is reduced from 2k to 1.5 k
    Or spend the 1 k on a hardtail. Maybe a 27.5 PLUS hardtail.

Performance of the Bossnut in the trail: great!
    Long term quality Boardman / Bossnut : no idea which bike is the better one.

Lots of the “bike mechanics stuff” you can find in youtube.
    Doing some first tours with the Bossnut: carefully check all these little details. Tweak here and there.
    After a couple of weeks: the thing is a solid performer!

Pivot bearings: these are the ones I still pamper / take care off.

Overall fun factor of the Bossnut: very high!
    But right now many, many neat reduced bikes around as well..

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Is there much stuff a hardtail would hold you back from doing which a full suss wouldn’t?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Let’s say:
    130 mm trail hardtail compared with 130 mm / 130 mm full suspension trail bike

On the trail, both with skilled bikers: nothing will hold them back. Difficult to say who’s faster. The hardtail biker needs to be concentrated all the time. The full suspension biker is allowed to make small mistakes without loosing speed.
    Full suspension bike: 2.25 inch or 2.3 inch tires are fine.
    The hardtail should have 2.3 inch tires minimum.

Old fashioned XC hardtail with 120 mm fork and 2.2 inch tires: this bike won’t be as capable as the BBoss nut V2.
    But let’s say the BigTrail600 will ride the same trails with same speed and fun as the Bossnut
    If You get the BigTrail600 for 1K:

really matter of taste.
    Detail with the BigTrail600: I think the fork isn’t a RockShox in this version. But I remember that it’s still a very good fork.
    Most probably the more rugged bike?

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Is there much stuff a hardtail would hold you back from doing which a full suss wouldn’t?

Not really. I’d say the vast majority of stuff you could ride on both but the full suss will be more comfortable and give you more control. I recently “upgraded” to a full suss in the past month or so, after 10-15 years of riding hardtails.

My thoughts in relation to where you are at right now:
    [list]
    [*]A hardtail is good to learn on as you get feedback when you are doing things wrong that the suspension masks on a full suss (IMO)[/*]
    [*]A hardtail has less to go wrong with it and they start out a lot cheaper[/*]
    [*]A full suss bike is really good fun and I go a lot faster on one[/*]
    [*]You’ll probably have more confidence on a full suss bike[/*]
    [/list]

So there is no right answer. If you were just going to be riding trail centres, I’d be inclined to just get a full suss bike. Otherwise, why not get a cheap hardtail now and get yourself something bling in a year or two once you have built up your skills and know more about what you want? While these bikes seem ok for the money, you might wish you’d spent a bit more over time.

One last thought … get yourself along to demo days, or hire full suss bikes to get an idea about what you get for your money.

timidwheeler

Get the Boardman. Glentress, Innerleithen and Aviemore are rocky enough to justify a full-sus. You clearly like the looks of the Boardman and there are plenty of respectable reviews saying it rides well. On paper it looks good value and it’s even better value with BC membership. Buy it and ride it.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys. I presume a dropper post could be fitted on both bikes? I do prefer the looks of the Boardman but I’m sure one of the reviews I read mentioned something about it possibly being a bit sketchy for novice riders

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

RSP dropper will work on the Bossnut (unless you are a very short guy ordering the XL size Bossnut).
    Boardman: ask the Halford guys – but don’t see a reason why it shouldn’t work.

Sketchy?
    Can’t imagine.

You start step by step. Not doing crazy stuff in the beginning. Check out youtube about some basic skills and then have fun!

joebristol

You can fit a dropper to any bike. You just need to think about internally vs externally routes dropper cables.

THe Boardman bikes used to have external routing under the top tube, but I’ve got a feeling they now have internal routing up from the bottom of the seat tube.

No idea why the Boardman or the Bossnut would be sketchy. They both have fairly sensible spec and geometry. I’d ignore that review.

I have a mate I see occasionally and just seen on facebook he’s got a team fs and loving it so far. He’s a complete novice.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Do you think the boardman will reduce any more in price as I believe the new model is due out Jan 2018 or is at as cheap as it’s going to ever be now at £900?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Hahaha.

And if they drop the price but your bike size is not available then…?

Late in spring the bike prices will go up again.
    No hurry right now – there are still some weeks left to “think”…

From now to March is a good time to buy.
    But hoping for the best of all deals is stress as well!

chiefgrooveguru

Very little. For me it’s jumps/drops into more difficult landings and gnarly rock gardens where I hold back more on the hardtail. Can still ride that stuff, just not as big/fast. This does assume both bikes are similarly built in terms of geometry and components and character.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Looking for some advice on a new MTB’ is closed to new replies.