Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Looking for Reasonably Priced Rigid Carbon 26" Forks
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Considering building my 8 year old an XS Mtb rather than an off the shelf bike.

General ideas is build it rigid with carbon forks to keep weight to a minimum and run 24″ wheels then as and when required add some suss forks and 26″ wheels with out having to change the whole bike.

Question today is are there any reasonably priced rigid carbon forks out there? I’m looking to keep the build as cheap as possible..it soon adds up!

I prefer monocoque style but on one no longer seem to do them and they don’t seem to come up 2nd hand often.

There are lots of Chinese ones on eBay but not sure about the safety…she’s hardly likely to be riding anything 1/2 gnarl but I don’t want anything that might be a death trap.

Any experienced ideas much appreciated.

scotroutes
    kilo

If you’re near south west London I’ve some exotic carbon rigid forks from an early spec inbred you can have for free

globalti
    Free Member

Those eXotic carbon forks are excellent and very strong yet smooth-riding.

nwill1
    Free Member

kilo – that’s very kind but I’m in the Midlands. Would you post if I covered it?

If so can you send over some photos?

nwill1 at ymail dot com

kilo

Will dig them out over weekend, but have heavy weekend of beer planned so may be start of next

Junkyard
    Free Member

i went for old 26 sids [28mm]as they are very light and have a low A-C – was only a few mm higher than what I replaced

Might get some on ebay still

24″ wheels are hard to find mind and often heavy as they were for DH set ups
    Light 24 ” rims are expensive

nwill1
    Free Member

Kilo – no worries, to suit you…I’m at the start of this project.

Junkyard…ill take a look BUT my daughter isn’t going to need any suspension yet and I foresee the rigid forks to be lighter and cheaper not to mention won’t need servicing and there is little to go wrong. I’ll get SIDS or Reba forks once she needs them.

Light weight is a major priority.

takisawa2

This is (…was), my lads.
    He’s got a 24″ On-One Fatty now, which he prefers.

It’s a 13″ Spesh Hotrock.
    Exotic forks, mostly hand-me-down XT kit, Pro2 wheels.
    It’s stupidly light.
    I got sick of searching for light 24″ rims, there were some Stans (I think) at something like £130 a pair. :-
    In the end I just waited till he grew a bit. 🙂 How tall is your lad ? My lad is 9, but quite small for his age.

I’m in Lichfield if you want him to try one out for size.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QmZx5F]Rowan’s Hotrock[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

takisawa2

My lad is 4’5″ by the way.

Yak

Another vote for exotics. I’ve had 26er and 29er and they are great forks.

As above, maybe go straight to 26″ wheels, assuming an average height 8yr old. Easier to source + more tyre choice.

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers.

She’s only 4’2″ at the moment but got a few months/summer left on the 20″ Islabike.

I’ll have a think about wheels, if 24″ come up that’s what I feel would be best but if I can’t find a decent/lightish set then it’ll be out of the question.

The Hotrock looks great…forks look ideal to. Hopefully it’ll be light.

The cranks will be the major PITA…not sure on length. It’ll be a case of either sinz BMX cranks or calling Islabikes see if they’ll sell a set.

Shame as used XT/SLX would be a cheaper option.

takisawa2

He seems ok on the cranks, they are 170mm.

nwill1
    Free Member

I might see if I can pick up 165mm worse case!

Yak

I would fit some 150mm thorns from sjs, or suntours from amazon.

nwill1
    Free Member

Yak…thank you…good call sir!

cookeaa

I keep getting gazumped on ebay for half the local pickup hotrock and blast 24″ bikes, but I have time to bide and I am not paying a fortune for an old bike that I am only going to gut for the frame…

Like you OP I’m planning to find either lighter rigids or some older airsprung 26″ forks, fit some proper discs and change it to 1xN.

But I’ve talked myself out of buying an XS adults bike/frame, the reach will probably be too much, plus a proper 24″ kids bike will get handed down to her little sister, so it will be a bit of an ‘investment’ for us…

ampthill

If fitting 24 inch wheels to a full size bike actually a good way to create good childs bike?

nwill1
    Free Member

The reason I was looking at 24″ was because in Isla Bike she’s not quite at the 26″ but soon will be.

I reckon an XS with a 35mm stem and short cranks would be ideal at 26″ in the next 12 or 18 months, the 24″ will just see her through till she grows a little.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Looking for Reasonably Priced Rigid Carbon 26" Forks’ is closed to new replies.