Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Looking for inspiration… XC event ideas for 2018…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Looking for some inspiration for 2018, did quite well with the STW Fat Club earlier in the year, but lack of focus on any specific goal or anything and I slipped back into my old ways, and have put about 9lb of the 16lb I lost back on already going into winter.

I quite fancy doing a few longer format XC events, I loved the Wentwood 50 (sadly taking a sabbatical for 2018) the couple of times I’ve done it, have done HONC & FoD Wild Boar chase a number of times, but looking what else is out there preferably a bit more technical like Wentwood, but still in the 50km+ “out there and back” style format… I’ve never done any of the Scott MTB Marathon series, are they any good?

I have a suitable bike already, so this is more of an excuse to get me riding it more than actually buying a new bike.

So… What other events would you suggest? Ideally within 2hrs of Worcester travelling wise, but happy to do overnighters for any event that may be further but worth it. Not interested in short course XC stuff, or 12/24hr races any more.

Kryton57

All the Scott Marathons with the exception of Hope Valley aren’t too far from you.

Speshpaul

Are the Scott Marathons any good – yes. Good routes, an easy way to spend a weekend.
    The Hope round is an easy drive from Worcester, the rest are on your doorstep.

postierich
    Free Member

#jennride 100 out of Staveley do it in a oner many do trying to get back to the Hawkshead Brewery for last orders or get some bike packing gear

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

Heaven of the South? Same weekend as the Boar Chase normally. Nice ride.

Clink

Manx 100 is pretty epic!

mboy
    Free Member

Heaven of the South? Same weekend as the Boar Chase normally. Nice ride.

Saturdays don’t bode well sadly cos of work commitments. Have heard good things though! 😐

#jennride 100 out of Staveley

Manx 100 is pretty epic!

Yeah maybe should have stated I need to walk before I can run. Looking at 50-75km events probably. 100 miles on an MTB hurts! I know cos I almost did it once…

welshfarmer

You should have a go at mountain bike orienteering. There are a large number of Midlands and SE Wales events withing a short distance of you. A 3 hour event will generally be about 50 KM of riding, and I guarantee you will get to ride more offroad tracks than you can shake a stick at and often in areas you never knew existed. The events are cheap, very friendly and social, and there is always food afterwards. Of course, being competitive and able to read a map helps, but we have quite a few people just come along as an excuse to ride.

Check out the BMBO website for events near you. We will be running some in the Forest of Dean and Wentwood area over the winter period.

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/

moonboy
    Free Member

OP doesn’t have the Dyfi Enduro in the ‘done’ category. Get on it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Looking for inspiration… XC event ideas for 2018…’ is closed to new replies.