Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Looking for equivalent of Snowdon in Scotland
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Planning a bit of a trip that will include SSEC in Novar Estate near Inverness.

On the way back want to do Helvellyn and Snowdon – did it before, know what to expect – but have no experience in Scotland.

So is there any good up-and-down type destination I can hit on the way back?

My first idea was Ben Nevis but there are mixed comments claiming it is too much of a hike-a-bike both ways, up and down and not that ride able at all.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers!
    I.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ben Lomond? Slightly out of your way if coming back down the A9 though.

stevedoc
    Free Member

If your all the way up there Torridon would seem like a good bet

fergal
    Free Member

Ben Macdui from ski area.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Your options are numerous and depend on your route home. Ben Lomond is probably the nearest equivalent to Helvellyn and Snowdon- it’s not too big, it’s popular, access is easy and it’s great fun.

Alternatives off the A9, which are more accessible for you, include-

Up from Glenmore to the summit of Ben Macdui, then down to the Hutchinson Memorial Hut, then left (north) up Lairig an Laoigh and round to the last of the descent of Bynack More. Big day out this, not an out and back.

Carn Ban Mhor, which has been sanitised but is a good laugh still.

Probably the closest thing I can think of in terms of an out and back that doesn’t involve a detour over an hour is Ben Lawers by Loch Tay. it’ll add 45 minutes to a drive to the Lakes but is really, really top quality. It’s better than Helvellyn without being more technical.

Ben Vorlich is similar quality to Ben Lawers, a bit easier and with a bit of fire road at the bottom. That’s by Loch Earn which isn’t miles out of your way.

That’s a short “best of” from the A9. Other alternatives if you decided to add on an hour and go via the west coast include Binnean Mor by Kinlochleven, Ben Nevis (if you’re really good it’s great, if you’re not it’s not) and Ben Lomond.

Let me know if you need more information.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks Chaps!

Some top locations, even if judging by pictures only.

Plenty to ponder about 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

matt_outandabout

Beinn A Ghlo – over the tops. On the A9, some hike a bike, but you are in the mountains so MTFU.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/beinn-aghlo-over-the-tops

What time of year is this?

woody2000

Cracking pics munrobiker, need to plan me a scottish adventure 🙂

matt_outandabout

need to plan me a scottish adventur

Please do. And persuade lots of other folk to do so as well.

GolfChick
    Free Member

cracking photos, want to plan a trip just to ride them all!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Ben Macdui from Glenmore via the Lairig an Laoigh would be a very long a tough day. Up to Cairngorm then descent via either Windy Ridge or round the corries (taking in Macdui if you want) and back down the corries path are much easier options. Carn Ban Mor has been sanitised but is still OK. Out and back up the Lairig Ghru for a quicker ride is nice. Also as a shorter loop. Meall a Bhuachaille via Ryvoan is great – if you want to make it longer you can do the whole ridge starting at Craiggowrie but only to be attempted if its been dry for a bit

Beinn A’ Ghlo has a few good options to try. I am not a fan of the descent from Carn Liath. IMO the best option for a decent loop with a pretty relaxed descent is to start off going up Carn Liath then round to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and descend the ridge to to Luib Mhor and the bridge that Matt started at

I agree that Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers is a good shout and can be done as partly as a loop. Even just Beinn Ghlas is good on its own for a shorter ride. Its not quite so much of a detour if you come off the A9 at Dalnacardoch and go via Trinafour and Tummel Bridge

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks again 🙂

Considering now to scrap Snowdon and Helvellyn completely and spend more time up north…

Cheers!
    I.

matt_outandabout

What time of year Ivan?

scotroutes

It’s the SSEC at the end of May Matt. I doubt snow will be an issue (if that’s what you were thinking).

http://ssec17.com/

GavinB

Another option to throw in the mix is Carn a Chlamain, from Blair Atholl. Very easy access off the A9, then use estate roads to get to within 50m of the top of a Munro. The descent back down is a hoot, via a snaking path all the way from 963m to about 350m.

whitestone
    Free Member

Carn a Chlamain, from Blair Atholl

I’d seen this on the map and considered it as a quick hit on what would otherwise be a boring walk. I accept that outside winter many of the Munros are “boring” – running or biking or skiing make them much more interesting.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

stop with the pictures!!!! please

matt_outandabout

SSEC

Cheers scotroutes, everyday is a school day…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Considering now to scrap Snowdon and Helvellyn completely and spend more time up north…

This is the correct idea 😎

IvanMTB
    Free Member

stop with the pictures!!!! please

More pictures, please 😀

Plan is germinating now…

Cheers!
    I.

augustuswindsock

some cracking shot’s there, you’ve all wet my appetite, did a rd trip up there last year Ben Lomond, torridon and skye, all outstanding, ben Lomond’s a little treat and didn’t take too long to knock off!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Fill yer boots!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2015-a-year-in-mountains

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2016-a-year-in-mountains

Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros

A few highlights across Scotland for me are-

Ben Lomond-

Binnean Mor

Carn An t’Sagairt Mor to Glen Callater

Pretty much anything around Torridon

Not a mountain but the Ciaran Path tied into the Devil’s Staircase is good.

Lochnagar

Ben Vrackie by Pitlochry is a good, short laugh.

highlandman
    Free Member

Handy for the A9 and while still up on Speyside:
    Stalkers’ path on Carn a Gheoidh above Glen Feshie is a good alternative to descending on the ‘sanitised’ Carn Ban Mor route down into Feshie. You use the same horrible climb up onto the Moine Mor but go north over CBM to the Gheoidh summit cairn for a 800m+ singletrack descent. Best starting point for this is from the summit cairn itself, to then return south on the trail to the col between CG & CBM, then turn west. Descend and contour slightly right to pick up the top of the trail just 300m horizontal from the centre of the col. The trail rises much higher up the coire here than on the OS mapping. You should be able to get around this in about 4 hours but it is unwise to attempt in poor visibility.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

munrobiker – 👿

Lovely pics, I really need to print off your year in the mountain write-ups and read them on the long commutes home.

fergal
    Free Member

highlandman top beta, how does this descent compare to the one from the weather station, covered in Sanny’s recent online article, cheers.

PS. is it this https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map2_16cg.shtml

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Absolutely love the pictures.

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Looking for equivalent of Snowdon in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.