Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Looking for a truly MASSIVE bike storage bag?
  • a11y

Any suggestions for TRULY MASSIVE bike storage bags? For storage only, not for transit/travelling.

Tried and failed to fit my Enduro 29er in my current Planet X bike bag – the >1200mm wheelbase was a total non-starter. Been looking online and haven’t found anything suitable so far.

Criteria:
    * minimum 130cm internal length (or 160cm if rear wheel kept in place)
    * soft bag only
    * doesn’t have to be padded
    * as little £££ as possible
    * discreet colour preferred

Just for inside storage use only so no need for anything solid or even padded.

Cheers.

scotroutes

If it’s only for storage, just get a big plastic tarp.

frogstomp

Duffbag Monster?

somafunk

Buy yourself a big Tarp and get someone to sew it up for you, or do it yourself with an eyeleting kit/punch and use paracord to tie it together.

a11y

If it’s only for storage, just get a big plastic tarp.

Sorry, I didn’t go into detail but it’s to protect our caravan interior (yes, I know), but also to ‘hide’ bikes away from prying eyes. And to keep manky bits away from kid’s exploring hands too. Been using a tarp so far but TBH it’s a faff when moving the bikes around and we’re constantly lugging the bikes between the caravan (if we’re having a non-biking touristy day) and the awning. It’d be much easier having bikes in bags for ease of handling.

Duffbag Monster?

That looks spot on. Didn’t appear in my searches so thanks 🙂

scotroutes

Are Duffbag still trading? I recall seeing threads on here about non-delivery

a11y

Buy yourself a big Tarp and get someone to sew it up for you, or do it yourself with an eyeleting kit/punch and use paracord to tie it together.

Sort of did that with current tarp except used heavy duty staples to create an all-encompassing tarp-bag. But falling apart now. Could give it another try but off the shelf is easy when I’m lazy/time-constrained.

a11y

http://duffbag.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

Hmm. I’ve found them (apparently) in stock in an online retailer so might be a safer option than purchasing direct.

chakaping
    Free Member

You realise that what you actually need is to buy a van, yeah?

somafunk

It’s quite easy to do, I bought an old lorry tarp for pennies and after a quick power wash with traffic film remover it cleaned up quite well, another £10 spent on a brass eyelet kit and i made a full interior tarp for my dads transit which makes it a doddle to clean out when we go to get firewood.

a11y

You realise that what you actually need is to buy a van, yeah?

😀

T5’s a full conversion with fixed position seat/bed which is a PITA for carrying bikes. Prefer to tow with the wife’s Land Rover for reliability/comfort reasons (A/C in French/German summers, yes please).

Plan had been to swap it for a newer Kombi or similar after buying the caravan (and thus have space for the bikes behind the kids) but funds dictated otherwise.

crazy-legs

I’ve got an old soft bike bag which you can have FOC if you can collect from Manchester?
    One of the TeePee ones. Black.

Little bit scuffed but all OK, the zips all work and it has internal wheel bags although I think they’d struggle to take a 29er MTB wheel (they’ll take 26″ and regular road wheels fine).

Post back on here if you’re interested.

frogstomp

Are Duffbag still trading? I recall seeing threads on here about non-delivery

Also available at BikeTart..

a11y

crazy-legs, thanks for the offer but I’ve ordered 2 of the Duffbag ones via BikeTart.

Duffbag sound like a nightmare company to deal with (I’ve read the STW thread) but product appears to be good, so I’ve bought from BikeTart. Cheers for the link frogstomp, I’d already seen them there – they had 5 when I first checked but currently 3 left now I think. Just hope they fit the bikes now – 4 l-o-n-g 29ers (but probably average for 29ers nowadays) between the wife and me.

paulx
    Free Member

I’ve had a DuffBag Monster for about 4 years – really useful, good pice of kit.

It will just about take my 29er Trek Rumblefish with the front wheel off and the saddle right down. (Frame 21″ Wheelbase 1180mm) Now I’ve put 800mm bars on they poke out the bag a little.

chakaping
    Free Member

OK OP, I was just checking that you knew what the proper answer was.

😉

a11y

I thought the proper answer was Octavia estate? 🙂

Still lust after a new/newer T5/T6 but a) cost is mental and b) cost is mental.

a11y

To update this, I ordered 2 x Duffbag Monsters from BikeTart and they’re ideal. Trial-fitted my longest/biggest bike – a size large Enduro 29er, 160mm Pikes, 750mm bars – and is juuuuuuust fits. 1200mm-ish wheelbase, quite a bit of seatpost showing, flat pedals still on, and bars turned sideways. Fully enclosed in the bag. Had to compress seatpost fully but it went in. Bags feel very robust but until use will tell how robust.

Thanks for the suggestion frogstomper 8)

pinetree
    Free Member
    takisawa2

Pop in to Bensons for Beds & ask them for a mattress bag. I had a flat once, sometimes I couldn’t be arsed ferrying buckets of water up & down the lift when I’d been out riding, so I used to wheel the bike into a Super King size mattress bag & take it up to the flat till I could be bothered. Oh those crazy days… 8)

tillydog
    Free Member

to protect our caravan interior […] to ‘hide’ bikes away from prying eyes. And to keep manky bits away from kid’s exploring hands…

A friend uses old duvet covers for exactly that – Bike upside down, drop the cover over it and then turn it all the right way up. Keeps the dollops of mud and oily things away from the soft furnishings.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a truly MASSIVE bike storage bag?’ is closed to new replies.