• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Looking for a new lock
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

Hi

I am looking for a new lock was looking at this one.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/new-york-fahgettaboudit-chain-09-35283

I have a kyptonite evolution 4 at the moment. But looking something better and can get that chain for £90

Any recommendations

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep got one, find it much easier to use than a u lock, bit heavy mind if you have to carry it about, about 6 kilos.

I used to sling mine over my shoulder if I was popping to the shops until one day I had to stop in a hurry and the u lock smashed into my hips, I carry it in a bag now!

z1ppy

I'd get a chain and lock from either of these guys rather than the Kryptonite one:
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/security-chains.php
    or (actually I have one, from these guys)
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

and a ground anchor of some kind

But looking something better and can get that chain for £90
    Not all chains are the same..
    You can spend £150 on an Oxford that lasts 3 seconds or £150 on an Almax that will break the cropper jaws. Choice is down to the individual.

It's not just the Almax that you can't crop, anything 16mm or over is pretty much cropper proof

TooTall
    Free Member

Kryptonite M18

D locks are safer than chains – and that one at that price is pretty damned fine. I have one but not exactly the lock to drag on a commute – if you can leave it somewhere.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I use Parker International for very good Kryptonite prices, and get Evans to price match.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Is it for comuting or home use?

For chains, PJB have some excellent value Squire 14/16/18mm chain combos- cheaper that Almax and Torc, and very good service.

Drac

I got two of the Lidl jobs one last week another the week before, seem to do the job at £10 each. Big enough deterrent as the way I see it if there determined to take a bike that much then they'll get it anyway.

Northwind

That kryptonite's decently tough for what it is but still pretty limited in usefulness, and not cheap. (the hexagonal chain is a bit of a trick for tests more than anything else, because it defeats brand new bolt cropper blades which is what testers use, but doesn't make any real difference with a slightly worn blade as those will grip)

If you want a relatively portable chain, you might as well get an inexpensive one as none of them offer particularily good protection. But it makes little sense for pushbikes, you want D locks for portability, gigantic chains for security.

catfood
    Free Member

http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/product/560/Kryptonite_New_York_Fahgettaboudit_Mini_ULock

Just got one of these, best price I could find on the web and it came in a couple of days. Kryptonites highest rated d lock, very tough but also pretty bloody heavy I must say.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I had a heavy duty motorcycle chain and padlock and the gits cut it like cheese! Got my bike back though and now keep it chanined to a massive post in my basement garage with a Kryptonite New York D-Lock as a padlock, and went to a nearby marine chain provider. Discussed it with the guy there, and he sold me an end cut of heavy duty security chain which is resistant to cropping and grinding. He showed me how tough it was in his yard with a huge pair of croppers, which he bounce up and down on and it hardly marked it! He said the only way to cut it was with a oxy acetylene cutter. Again he demod this and it took him about 2 minutes at full burn. He sold me about 2 metres for £20, and no stolen bike since 😀

devs
    Free Member

I picked up a couple of Aldi Motorcycle locks today. £10 each. I reckon 15 of them will take longer to break than one of those Ktyptonite jobbers 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a new lock’ is closed to new replies.