Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Looking for a new hardtail torn between a few…
  • hcguy
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I’ve been mountain biking for about a year now, my current bike is a boardman comp 650b is been a good bike for starting out but since I’ve advanced I’m now looking for something more.

I ride a lot of the North downs, so a lot of hill climbing and rapid descents. I also enjoy bedgbury when can.

My choices I’ve come down too are:

The Whyte 901 http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/trail-hardtail-27-5-650b/901-2/

The new brand from halfords:

The 13 incline delta http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/13-incline-delta-27-5-mountain-bike-2015

I also like the Bird zero due to its custom options.

My budget is around £1200. Even though the 13 incline delta is normally £1400 I have a voucher that will bring the price down to just under £1100 which makes it so tempting price wise.

The Whyte 901 has some great reviews online, especially because of its geometry. Outdoing many other bikes

The 13 has a great spec for the money but the frame lets it down according to reviews.

What are people’s opinions? Thanks.

wiggles
    Free Member

The Whyte is an awesome bike and is available from proper bike shops so the winner for me.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Geometry wins every time. Buy the Whyte.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I hate how that 13 Incline Delta looks, but it does appear to have quite a slack head-angle.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Whytes slacker, the other bike is just tall.

grobin13
    Free Member

Personally I am a fan of the Bird zero. Spec is top notch for the price. It climbs well and descends even better. Also looks pretty good aswell.

eltonerino
    Free Member

The bird zero can come with an angleset for £50 (three different angled cups). That’ll let you slacken it by up to 1.5 degrees. If you want slacker than that, it will take a 150mm fork (I think the sweeps are internally adjustable to that too).
    Mine is set at -0.5 degrees, I will be changing it to -1.5 degrees soon to see how I like it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Whyte rides well but is expensive compared to the Bird, on spec.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Pinnacle Ramin 6. Now £1350.

Great frame and spec( I ride a 2014 Ramin 4 and have put 120mm forks on it) and it’s only a couple of seconds slower on my local downhill track than my Orange Five!! Plus it’s quick elsewhere too.

kayla1
    Free Member

This steel Commencal works out at around £1100-

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-ht-crmo-650b-c2x12501753

or the ally version for a bit less-

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501743

jairaj

OP, Your current bike sounds ideal for the terrain you are riding. Have you thought about just upgrading the components? What don’t you like about it or what other features are you look for in a new bike? It’ll help people give more suitable suggestions.

eg

If you want slacker than that, it will take a 150mm fork

I’m not sure I’d want that type of bike to ride the North Downs.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a Bird Zero and love it, great spec for the money and feels loads lighter than it looks.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d want that type of bike to ride the North Downs.

Have you seen the types of bikes people are riding in the North Downs lately.. 😉

deviant
    Free Member

The Whyte 901 made the Dirt-100 this year, ts a great bike, get that.

qwerty
    Free Member

Cotic Soul 27.5? Whyte has new skool geometry and gets great reviews. I have an Orange Clockwork 120S which is not as rad as the Whyte, long chainstays really aid steep climbs for me locally, internal cables rattle a little, might slacken the 68′ head angle off to 67′ when the headset goes.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Personally I am a fan of the Bird zero. Spec is top notch for the price. It climbs well and descends even better. Also looks pretty good aswell.

The Bird Zero doesn’t have as nice geometry, again, spec is secondary to geo. The Whyte is longer and lower.

The best bike there is by far and away the Whyte.

moniex
    Free Member

Love my bird, go and try one.

Simone

chiefgrooveguru

The Bird Zero doesn’t have as nice geometry, again, spec is secondary to geo. The Whyte is longer and lower.

Longer and lower isn’t always better, especially on a hardtail. I’d get the Bird.

jairaj

The Bird Zero doesn’t have as nice geometry

What is “nice geometry”? Surely it’s all subjective and depends on personal tastes and riding type.

The OP hasn’t got back to us yet with more info. For all you know he could find his current bike too slack and want something racer?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What is “nice geometry”? Surely it’s all subjective and depends on personal tastes and riding type.

+1

One wo/man’s XC winning geo is another wo/man’s worst nightmare.

lee170
    Free Member

Orange crush?
    £1299, great reviews,
    Fun

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a new hardtail torn between a few…’ is closed to new replies.