• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Looking for a new car- talk to me about 04-07 Accord Tourers
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2002 Civic, which I like. However its a three dour, and i’d like a bit more space for carrying bikes, climbing gear etc.

Looking at a few 04/05 Accords at around 5k- the petrol as i’m worried that the diesel isn’t the best choice as sometimes the car is only used for shorter journeys- but the diesel does appear to be MUCH more fuel efficient.

Any owners rate them?

tonyg2003

I had a ’04 and then an ’06 diesel tourer. Both did +100k but the second one had problems with the turbo. They are also know to have manifold and some clutch problems. The petrols though have a fab reputation for being low maintence (check out the TypeAccord forum for numbers of faults). Otherwise well built, comfy and good sized cars.

We have a ’08 petrol now since we do less miles in it now. The newer diesels have the usual diesel DFP problems too.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Thanks.

Guess i’m also open to alternatives.. was looking at a Volvo V50 but will need to test drive one first! Oh, and Focus is in there..

samuri
    Free Member

I have a 05 Saloon. Low mileage and I don’t do much in it but I love that car. It’s big, it’s old fashioned inside, it handles like a barge but it is the most comfy car I have ever been in, the (diesel) engine pulls like a train, returns fantastic mileage even if I cane it and so far, touch wood, I’ve not had a single problem with it.

I’ll be looking at another Accord come renewal time but that won’t be for a while yet, I see no reason to get rid of this one.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Hmm.. not keen on buying a barge- I guess it comes with estate models to a certain degree, but I want something that i’ll enjoy driving (within reason).. and still afford the insurance

samuri
    Free Member

The estate would be even worse than mine. It’s great on the motorway and normal roads, just don’t try flicking it through the corners on a twisty B road. I lost the back end once just after I’d bought it before I realised its limit came a lot earlier than cars I was used to. 😉

Dunno if there’s a sportier version with harder suspension.

TN
    Free Member

We had an 53 and I now have an 07 tourer (automatic).
    I love it – it just carries so much stuff and is still pretty perky (especially for an auto). It’s been no bother at all.
    Just went to the alps with 2 bikes in it, a 6 berth tent and associated camping crap and kit for road and DH riding and was able to pack it so it barely came above the level of the windows.
    Not the most economical to drive, but it’s cost nothing but servicing and it does kind of get through tyres, but that may say more about my driving.
    If you are in Sheffield, I would be happy to take you for a drive in it, just to give you some idea? (that sounds a bit dodgy, but I am quite normal and don’t crash cars for a habit, so you are quite safe…)

samuri
    Free Member

That was the other thing about Honda’s that I liked.

Take it in for a service, it costs next to nothing, gets a full valet inside and out and some posh older lady makes you a cup of coffee when you collect the car.

We take our Audi in for a standard service, it comes back with a bill for 700 quid, has muddy bootprints all over the carpet, some arsey service guy tells us his normal customers don’t usually complain about a mere 700 pounds and then tells my wife she can’t get a free coffee from the machine because he’s closing in five minutes.

tonyg2003

If you are looking for a B road twisty handler then don’t look for a car the size of an Accord. Although they handle reasonably for their size.

Northwind

I nearly bought a VTEC tourer, it seemed a perfectly nice car but just didn’t really inspire. So I bought a s***box mondeo instead, which had more dents, more smoke and more character (and whose accursed EGR valve took 2 minutes to bypass, thank god)

Don’t think you’d go too far wrong with the Accord, though, I just reckoned there should be some heart in the decision as well as head, and the mondeo wasn’t far off winning on head anyway.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I have a 55 plate diesal. Good enough car but developed a couple of faults recently.

Boot not opening with key fob then would close – known fault and fixed under extended warranty for that part.
    Seized brake calipers on the rear a couple of times and wears through discs
    Leaking steering rack
    Abs faults, so vsa unit not working. Warranty issue but recall not sent out.
    Alloy wheels rusting, already been replaced within 3 year warranty but new set rusting

Few rattles inside, door panels, rear cover.

So okay but still has its faults.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

05 reg diesel tourer here. Taken it from 60,000 to 90,000 in 18 months. No faults at all, just servicing, brakes and tyres.

Plenty quick enough for a big load carrier / family car. Handling is tidy enough but nowhere near as “keen” as say a Ford or Mazda. I don’t really mind this as the whole persona of the car is pretty relaxed (by that I don’t mean boring).

It’s just really satisfying to drive quickly and smoothly and really satisfying to own. I’d only really replace it with another – prob a post-facelift with 6 shorter gears instead of 5 really long ones. Might go for the larger wheels too, to sharpen it up a bit.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

oh – should also mention that the boot will take a medium hardtail frame SIDEWAYS. I don’t even both taking out the pram, kids bikes etc. Just thrown a blanket over the lot and the bike on top. Love it!

nickhart
    Free Member

I loved the video

angeldust
    Free Member

I had a 2005 Accord Tourer CDTi Sport from new for 3 years/50000 miles. Good car. Very practical, one of the biggest, best shaped boots out there (and shames the current Accord). Only average rear leg room. I liked the interior. Build quality was good – My Japanese built Accord was better built, and used better materials than my partners UK built Civic of the same era.

Engine was good, and economical, but a bit noisy. Petrol will probably be better, and bombproof too. Mine was 100% reliable over 50000 miles. Servincing cheap. Don’t worry about the handling – it’s reasonable for a car that size, but not as good to drive as the Mazda 6 Estate or A4 Avant that replaced it.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Thanks all. Hopefully going to look at a 04 with 48k on it- 2l petrol EX for £5k (although i’ll work on that bit 😉 if it drives well

tonyg2003

My Japanese built Accord was better built

err… they are still built in Japan. That’s why they are so damn expensive over here.

dave360

Had my 04 CDTi Exec tourer since new, now just over 150k miles.
    Not a single fault until I boasted to Singletrack Matt about it earlier this year. Now ABS light is on (£140 for new sensor) and there’s a weird humming noise from the back at 50mph (hoping it’s just the tyre)
    Will be for sale in the Autumn (with faults fixed)

hora
    Free Member

The 2.0 VTEC petrol unit is supposed to be fantastically reliable (with regular oil changes of course). However the downside is you’d average 30mpg as a max.

If your openish-minded you could also look at the Honda FRV.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a new car- talk to me about 04-07 Accord Tourers’ is closed to new replies.