Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Looking for a light stiff 90mm stem for my single speed build (up to £80)
  • fozworth
    Free Member

Im after a realy light weight/stiff 90mm stem for my rigid fork ss build.I dont want to spend much more than £80 really. Thought about either the hope xc/fr stem or the thompson 4x but not sure on weight as they always give the lightest options only.

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Got a 110 Thomson X4 if you think size would be ok , brand new £45

fozworth
    Free Member

To long sorry but thanks

oxym0r0n

Using an x4 for the same application here – can’t go wrong really, with all the spares available too

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve a new Kcnc you can have for £27.50 posted.

fizzicist
    Free Member

EA70 is always good value

br
    Free Member

Easton EA90 – although they measure up long

But currently run the better On One stems, not sure how stiff a long one is, but the 50mm’s brill.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Truvativ Team SL is very nicely made and stiff.

fozworth
    Free Member

think the x4 seems nice anyone know the weight of an 90mm

igm

The On-One / Planet X ultralight is nice. Light and strong, on a par with Thomson I’d say (I run both) and under £30 when it’s in stock.

righog
    Free Member

Another vote for the on one. It looks just like the older rounded Thompson. I have a couple of Thompsons and I don’t think I will be buying another after putting the On One on a recent build.

Tried posting link but the OO site is not working to well tonight.

fozworth
    Free Member

Funnily enough its going on an on one inbread frame.Im also not sure if i should go for a slight rise or stick with the 0 rise .As ive always had free ride stems with no rise .Im using low riser bars on this build.I know its a personal thing but im thinking maybe a slight rise on a rigid bike might be a help.

mike399
    Free Member

I almost bought a Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 in the sale at CRC. Very light, but I was put off because it doesn’t use a face plate – bars slide through. I have just checked an J E James have them on at half price. worth a look.

fozworth
    Free Member

cheers 🙂

AD

Also might be worth a look at Ritchey WCS stems.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Richey wcs.Light-Yes.Stiff-Oh gawd no!!

stevied
    Free Member
    radoggair
    Free Member

kcnc

kcnc, 93g, 58 squid. Job done. Thompson 50% heavier, pffft

stumpy01

+1 for the kcnc flyride stem.

jfeb
    Free Member

kcnc

kcnc, 93g, 58 squid. Job done. Thompson 50% heavier, pffft

“Aggressive or scenic mode”. LOL.

Looks like a nice stem though.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a BNIB Sunline XC stem in a 90mm if its any use?

£30 posted. Pretty light and well made. Used to retail at £60 or so before Sunline dropped out of the MTB market last yet.

MrTall
    Free Member

Double post

andyl
    Free Member

If you want stiff and light then Easton Haven are hard to beat. 85mm though.

Or if you want pretty and light then the Raceface Turbine.

Both here: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/bars-stems/handlebar-stems/

onandon
    Free Member

Syntace would get my vote. Stiffer than kcnc stems but they cost more.
    I use both on my bikes , if cost wasn’t an option I’d have syntace on everything.

Here

fivespot
    Free Member

Raceface Turbine !!! £42 (RRP £80) from Merlin….quality and finish are up there with Thomson, but lighter 😀

northernerindevon

+1 for the Raceface Turbine. Lovely. Use them on both my bikes. Light and stiff

qtip

I’m running a 70mm Hope AM/FR stem and it’s definitely plenty stiff – copes admirably with my lardy arse levering on 745mm wide bars. If I remember correctly it’s marginally lighter than the equivalent length Thomson stem. As mentioned, the Easton Haven is also worth a look. Not sure I’d trust the KCNC for anything other than pure XC.

paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

Just bought an italian FRM web stem from on-one, £45 next day delivery….retails at £90 so amazing value, well machined, light….only thing I have done is replace the lightweight torx bolts with some ti hex ones.

fozworth
    Free Member

Think I’m going to go for a FRM Web Stem 6B Ti stem not cheap but nice .im 84kg and the rider weight specified is up to 85 kg hopfully this should be ok

sefton
    Free Member

i got this but its 100mm and 25.4 fitment (£35)

other kcnc bits for sale http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kcnc-post-stems-light-weight-racing-items

dont believe what you read with regards to weight btw!

fozworth
    Free Member

Hi thanks I’ve got new 38.1 carbon bars so need an oversize stem cheers

sefton
    Free Member

You need a light seat KCNC seat post 140g (see above link) 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Easton Haven 85mm (black) – put on bike but never ridden so, effectively, brand new. £40

davosaurusrex

Toxicsoks-is that all black or black with mag faceplate? Very interested

davosaurusrex

Actually I’ll have it either way if it’s 40 posted. Don’t mind giving foz first refusal though as it’s his thread

davosaurusrex

Come to think of it I’m running a black 90mm 10 degree rise X4, could be just what you’re looking for foz?

jameso

I’ve used a few different Taiwanese stems on my SS but I’d say the stiffness of the Thomson is noticeable, there is less twist there (all 90mm stems for comparison) when you haul. I like them despite the extra grams. Syntace looks good, esp if it’s as well designed as their seat posts.
    If you want light, look for a larger OD / x-section main body. Al is all the same stiffness so it comes down to design and how much material is there / where it is.

fozworth
    Free Member

Cheers for the first refusal davo but you go for it bud I’m definatly set on the new FRM 6 bolt ti stem .finish looks great .just waiting for availability from Italy via clee cycles . It’s four bolt front mount rather than two as with the older design . £90 but I like the look and stats .
    Anyone know if anywhere else does the up to date version in the uk ?
    Cheers for all the input from you guys to 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

I think on-one were knocking out FRM stems at good prices.
    FRM make some sexy stuff but the stems aren’t very stuff IMHO

gonzy
    Free Member

i use a blackspire shore, its probably not the lightest but its super strong and stiff. they’re available in a combination of lengths (70, 80. 90mm ) and angles (0,10, 20 degree). you can probably pick one up for about £55 or thereabouts…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a light stiff 90mm stem for my single speed build (up to £80)’ is closed to new replies.