Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Looking at entering the corporate world again…
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Hey don Simon, I think you’ll be competing against these kids

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P81bb0Tzwbo[/video]

colwyn58
    Free Member

What’s all the talk about Spain?!

mogrim

The OP (Don Simon) lives in Spain. And so do I. Hence Spain.

mogrim

I missed Valdemorillo, I’ve heard it’s less technical than Los Embalses, and Los Embalses isn’t that technical as in last time I rode it I managed 44t for about 95%.

Nothing particuarly technical about Valdemorillo, lots of mud, a couple of granny ring climbs, singletrack, snow and fog. Great fun, well worth the money.

oxnop
    Free Member

The main difference is that you’re expected to be available 24×7, particularly if they give you a work phone. Spanish corporate hours are longer than UK hours, too, especially in management positions.

Agreed, I work for for a Spanish bank. Work mobile needs to be on 24/7, I would say I work pretty much everyday of the week. BUT – Last weekend I attended a conference call whilst sat on a rock at Gisburn, so its how you approach your workload.

Usual hours are 08:30 start and i’m home between 17:45 – 22:00 dependant upon current workload.

My boss regularly has dial-ins at 05:00, that would be unacceptable for me but i’m not earning 6 figures.

Most of the MBA holders I come across are thick as shite and can only get a point across by stating that they have an MBA!

Agreed, but most end up moving to corporate banking as they don’t like real work 😆

I dont have a MBA but my counterpart who looks after the opposite side of the business does, I believe that once you have got yourself in a middle management position on merit, and you have then further proved yourself, the lack of MBA is not a limiting factor.

And YES – Excel knowledge is essential, i’m OK but would be stuck if I didn’t have staff who are fist class in both Excel and Access. Also having patience with PP would be an advantage.

Good Luck

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing particuarly technical about Valdemorillo, lots of mud, a couple of granny ring climbs, singletrack, snow and fog. Great fun, well worth the money.

If I can get my arse in gear I’ll probably give it a go next year.

What’s it got to do with you? My thread and we’ll talk about Spain if we want, and what mogrim said. 😆

Cheers oxnop.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My first two questions would be.

Do you have a proven record of success in a sales leadership role during the last five years and in the type of company you want to work for?

Do you have evidence of successful over achievement of KPI’s in a strategic marketing role in the type of company you want to work for?

Your competition will have and I would suggest that some of your comments seem slightly at odds with reality.

I recruit at this level every day. My clients are all large corporates. Without evidence of the above I could not consider you for senior roles of the type you described.

donsimon
    Free Member

With all due respect joolsburger I said in the OP that I have been out of the corporate world for ten years so the answers to your two questions clearly has to be no, so sorry no commission from me. Fortunately the circles I move in have an opposing view to you, which is why I’m reconsidering a return.

Your competition will have and I would suggest that some of your comments seem slightly at odds with reality.

Would you care to explain further, please?

I recruit at this level every day. My clients are all large corporates. Without evidence of the above I could not consider you for senior roles of the type you described.

I’m impressed and feel quite honoured that you wouldn’t consider me, I wouldn’t actually consider you to represent me as you have made a decision on so little or such personal information. Might I suggest you do some research first. 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Apologies let me be clear, I don’t represent candidates I work for my clients.
    I am, for example, currently retained to secure a EMEA VP of Sales for a multi-billion dollar business, I would suggest that this fits the description, strategic sales position. My client requires the individual concerned to have clear target achievement in a comparable role over several years allied to considerable leadership skills and so forth. I did not suggest you do not have these. I simply enquired as it is the case that most corporates would expect recent and relevant experience.

I wish you every success in your potential search.

donsimon
    Free Member

No need to apologise joolsburger you’d have to go a long way to offend me, I find it interesting that a multi-billion dollar business will exclude a huge pool of talent simply because someone has decided to step off the corporate ladder. If we are going to step into the territory marking side, the supply chain director of what is probably the second largest retail company in the world seemed to think that my 10 years away would not exclude me from the running, but infact the experience I have gained while away might be a bonus and although some of my skills would need brushing up, there wouldn’t be a problem.
    You still, however, haven’t explained or expanded on your “attitude at odds with reality” comment, your wealth of experience and advice might just help me in my potential search.

joolsburger
    Free Member

No, really, I wish you every success.

donsimon
    Free Member

And I thank you with the same grace it was offered.

colwyn58
    Free Member

I’m guessing a lot of this squabling could be put to rest if we knew what you’d been up to in the last 10 years.

A spell in Her Majesty’s would no doubt be viewed very differently to setting up own business or taking time out to raise children or travel etc…!!

donsimon
    Free Member

colwyn58, at last someone who knows what the right question is. 😀 I see no squabbling either but I do see the element of corporate life that I thought might have matured a bit, but judging by the tag I was wrong. 😥
    I have been self employed and running my own modest business, both of which change the focus of the product from a good to a person, and probably more importantly, networking. 😆

vinnyeh

I have been self employed and running my own modest business, both of which change the focus of the product from a good to a person, and probably more importantly, networking.

aah, a trainer.

grum
    Free Member

Given your seemingly arrogant dismissal of other people and their skills and opinions, I imagine you will fit in quite well in the corporate world. 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

aah, a trainer.

aah, you’ve seen that I’ve said I’m a trainer in another thread then? 😉

Given your seemingly arrogant dismissal of other people and their skills and opinions, I imagine you will fit in quite well in the corporate world.

😆

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Looking at entering the corporate world again…’ is closed to new replies.