Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Look what I borrowed to ride home from the pub last night
  • miketually
    Free Member

3-speed hub gears, coaster brake, hub dynamo, basket on the back. Tres chic, non?

daveells
    Free Member

Is that a Jones?

crispybacon
    Free Member

where’s the monkey then??

MrNutt
    Free Member

did you have to leave your balls at the bar? 😆

pjt201
    Free Member

blimey, is that a full on dh town bike? how slack are the head and seat angles!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Someone’s stolen the basket! 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve got a bike.You can ride it if you like.
    It’s got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good.
    I’d give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Your wallpaper looks a bit baggy.

bumbly1
    Free Member

That looks suspiciously like the one I saw Miss Gulliver riding……….. 😯

takisawa2

postierich will want that back come monday morning…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thats a horrific mess of a contraption!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I found an abandoned bike like that, in the street outside my home. Took it in, gave it some TLC, and it was good to go. Proper nippy around town, and a comfy, relaxing ride. And me mate on his MTB with fat tyres found it a struggle to keep up!

Brilliant pub bike. I din’t even have to lock it up, as long as I could see it.

I believe it’s currently doing service in Brighton, for the young lady I gave it to. She was thrilled to bits.

You’re the kind of girl that fits into my World
    I’ll give you anything, everything, if you want things.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s a Strike Bike.

Fantastically comfortable to ride.

crispybacon
    Free Member

After 10 pints of anti-gravity water Mike ‘borrows’ a bike he found outside the pub last night leaving poor old bubbles to make his own way home 😕

miketually
    Free Member

Were you hiding in the park with a camera last night? 🙂

The one I borrowed has a basket on the rack at the back.

miketually
    Free Member

Just found out I can have it for four weeks!

miketually
    Free Member

I rode Fern in today (that’s her name).

The basket swallowed up a pile of marking and my bag, so I had no weight on my back.

The coaster brake works brilliantly, so I only touched the brake lever (there’s only one) a couple of times.

The upright position meant no weight on my hands at all, so my busted rib (coughing-related) might actually get a chance to heal.

The hub gear has a nice uphill gear and a rolling along gear.

I didn’t have to tuck my trouser leg into my sock!

My Endura jacket felt wrong. Anyone got a tweed jacket going spare?

djglover
    Free Member

You could put on a nice dress and hat and go for a slow ride around Skerne Park, Branksome, Firth Moor and Red Hall

AndyP
    Free Member

Is it a Soliturd?

Olly
    Free Member

love those town bikes, so comfy and incredibly quick on flat cyclepaths.
    not that whippy in the acceleration stakes (more like a hippo, a fat one)
    but who cares when your that stylish.
    i want one in my fleet 🙁

MrNutt
    Free Member

what on earth is wrong with you 😉

miketually
    Free Member

You could put on a nice dress and hat and go for a slow ride around Skerne Park, Branksome, Firth Moor and Red Hall

I only got one chav comment on the way to work this morning. I think they were confused.

miketually
    Free Member

but who cares when your that stylish

Cuff links for the ride to work today 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

and *whispers* no helmet.

*runs*

robbo1234biking

I think you would need a peaked tweed cap with that bike. Would look out of place otherwise!

MrAgreeable

That’s a kick-ass piece of machinery, but would it be fun on a commute that was more than 2-3 miles long? I reckon the lack of gear range, the weight and the barge-like steering would make the novelty wear off pretty quickly.

miketually
    Free Member

There’s more of a range of gearing than on my singlespeed, so it was quite a novelty for me 🙂

If my entire commute were in an urban area, I’d happily use this for all of it, even if it were longer.

This bike is being used for the English end of a documentary examining different attitudes to bike use between English and German teenage girls. At one point in the film, a class of 17 years olds in Germany are asked how many of them rode to school that day – all but one of them raised their hand. They ride up to 10km each way, on bikes just like this (as do their teachers of course).

shinsplints

How much can you do me a bag of your finest onions for ? 😀

MrAgreeable

I’d be vaguely interested in seeing that documentary, although I would expect the English girls to come out with a range of well-informed arguments along the lines of “Bikes are crap, and that particular bike is ultra-crappy”. There seems to be a perception in the UK (which I share to some extent) that you need an MTB or a road bike to get anywhere efficiently, a hybrid or town bike just won’t cut it.

miketually
    Free Member

How much can you do me a bag of your finest onions for ?

It’s German; I can do you some saurkraut.

miketually
    Free Member

The English girls love the bikes 🙂

English: I couldn’t ride in high heels
    German: What, like these? My feet would have hurt if I’d walked.
    English: What if it rains.
    German: If it rains, I get a bit wet. If it rains a lot, I carry an umbrella.

Some of the English girls are going to Germany soon, to see what riding a bike is like over there. Some of the German girls are coming over here in July (we need to get some post-traumatic stress counsellors on stand-by).

miketually
    Free Member

blimey, is that a full on dh town bike? how slack are the head and seat angles!

It is very slack, but the picture above is distorted a bit (the wheels don’t look right).

miketually
    Free Member

There seems to be a perception in the UK (which I share to some extent) that you need an MTB or a road bike to get anywhere efficiently, a hybrid or town bike just won’t cut it.

It’s German. Of course it’s efficient! 😉

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I have a bike just like it (but from the Austrian brand Puch). They’re great for getting around town on as long as it’s not too hilly and so much more practical than a mountain bike or something. It’s amazing what you can carry on them – the most I’ve managed is a BBQ and required food, but my aim in life is to manage to cycle it in skiboots whilst carrying my skis…

CountZero

Have none of you seen Copenhagen style? It’s all beautiful stylish Scandinavian girls riding bikes like that one. They can’t understand why anyone would ride anything else, even the bloke who runs the site. I think they’re wonderful, meself.

CountZero
    miketually
    Free Member

This is the film project: Beauty and the Bike

The home page has some photos from the filming in Germany, so you can see the kind of bikes used all the time over there. The ‘Dream’ section has a slideshow of the English girls taking part in the project. The ‘Reality’ section has a film of my UK-style commute (hi-viz vest and all).

nickc

My mum had a bike like that. When we were kids, every-one wanted to ride it come the “How long can you skid” competition. Coaster brakes win hands down, every time….

BigDummy
    Free Member

Cracking bike. 🙂

Does it have a dynamo? My current project on the cargo bike is to get it dymano’ed up.

Incidentally, I once rode my then girlfreind’s 3-speed shopper 70 miles or so from Bristol to central Shropshire in a day. Heavy, hard to accelerate, some puching on the steep hills, but no big stress. You just can’t be in too much of a hurry.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s got a Shimano hub dynamo. There’s no noticable drag and the front light’s bright enough to ride through an unlit park and nature reserve at midnight after half a bottle of wine and a couple of pints 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Look what I borrowed to ride home from the pub last night’ is closed to new replies.