Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Look at this sweet canal barge on ebay.
  • jekkyl

Nice, wood burning stove and lovely fitted internals. Close to cycling track (towpath), no council tax or utility bills. 130k & the complete freedom of the British canal system.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Widebeam-canal-boat-Dutch-Barge-70-foot-Residential-mooring-Warwickshire-/251520655427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8fcca043#ht_2407wt_1190

woody2000

no council tax

You’d pay council tax of some sort I’m afraid

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

water gypsy 😉

jekkyl

really? ok, news to me, thought it would just be mooring costs.

zippykona

Won’t post,I’m out.

sandwicheater

Love the odd canal boat weekend and when the finances can afford think I may get a time share in a narrow boat.

That beauty is all kinds of nice.

spooky_b329

Its a Widebeam so far from complete freedom 🙂

Plus marina fee’s, mortgage difficulty (you may sink it or disappear with the banks security!) and mooring restrictions!

wwaswas

complete freedom of the British canal system.

I’d check the width on it – it’s a Dutch Barge, not a narrow boat. A lot of locks will be too narrow.

I’d live in it though. there’s a lovely little bike room if you take that cot out of it.

botanybay
    Free Member

Once you buy one, you’ll never smile again. It’s like caravanning, but even slower, and infinitely more miserable.

Just buy a bike, ride it down the canal path, and ride back to youe house for tea. No misery involved.

nbt

As above, that won’t fit in many locks – there’s a flight of 16 near us

A tight fit.. by hoppieno3, on Flickr

Does look like a nice boat though!

Trimix
    Free Member

You would have to take it to France and enjoy the rivers down there. No good here in narrow locks.

Wait till your too old for riding bikes.

jekkyl

Way to ruin a nice daydream stw. I don’t think living on a barge would be much fun tbh. I live in Stoke and often see tourists on barges on the canal. I like to picture them sitting in their nice detached in Kent reading a glossy brochure about the picturesque waterways of North Staffordshire, the colourful dragonflys fluttering by and the ducks paddling over at breakfast then skip to reality of passing the burnt out factories and forgotten corners of Stoke in the rain. Plus going up or down a lock seems like a massive pita.

MoreCashThanDash

Then there’s the craft license…..

spooky_b329

I left my nice detached Sussex pad but did my research and went to a more upmarket area of the Leicester/Oxford Canal. Enjoyed the locks…nice bit of exercise 🙂

CountZero

She’d be able to navigate the K&A, so could travel from Bristol to London and back. I’ve seen a fully sea-going Dutch Barge on the K&A, moored up in Bath for a while; her skipper was taking her across to Ireland, IIRC. Lovely boat.

Bunnyhop

I remember a conversation in our local post office.
    Man – “I would like to buy a licence” (can’t remember what it was for now).
    Post office girl – “That’s fine, could I have your address please?”
    man – “I live on a narrow boat and don’t have an address as such.”
    p.o.g – “but I need an address for you to purchase this licence.”
    man – “as I said I don’t have a permanent address”.

This conversation went round and round in circles and I never heard the outcome.

kendo954
    Free Member

could buy a nice house here for that money

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Look at this sweet canal barge on ebay.’ is closed to new replies.