Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Look at these knobs
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Took delivery of these bad boys today, swapped from my ‘summer’ combo of 2.5 Highroller on the front and 2.25 Ardent on the rear.

Yes, I am currently between jobs so have a lot of time on my hands.

DarrenH

Let us know what they perform like when you get to try ’em out ds?
    I was thinking about fitting some swamp things to my inbred.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s some serious knobbing going on there.

ds3000
    Free Member

Will do Darren, its pretty wet and wild up here in the North West so I should give them a good test tomorrow.

ds3000
    Free Member

By the way, in case you’re interested, the kitchen scales informed me that they weigh 780g each.

BoardinBob

Brilliant tyre. Ploughs through everything

Vortexracing

Used them for 2 years now, bloody great, especially if the front is a Supertacky, on tarmac though they have more drag than Danny La rue

Xylene
    Free Member

Gld you have lots of time on your hand. I reckon my ST made me double the climb time at my local rides.

Ended up running one on the front and my summer tyre on the rear until I can afford a new rear tyre.

ds3000
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to see how draggy they are, especially the coming form the Ardent, which rolled really well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They’re very good, I have 1.9s for winter XC, which they don’t make anymore. the XC version is now called Medusa.

boxelder

I love new tyres. Just replaced the Crossmark on the rear with a UST Rampage. Looking forward to a test – anyone tried them?

ds3000
    Free Member

So, I took the Inbred out for a spin today to test out the new Swapthings. First impressions, on the way to the trails, were oh dear; they are really slow. There was a deafening buzz, like a swarm of bees, I consoled myself with the fact that, obviously, they are not road tyres.

Onto Calday Hill, mud and wet sandstone abounded. Bizarrely, Ian Rush jogged past me donning a Liverpool trackie and perma-tan, I quickly tried to eject that image from my mind. Back to the tyre test, on the first few ups the grip of the rear was obvious compared to the Ardent I had on previously; no spinning out when stomping down on the pedals out of the saddle. Next test were some boggy sections created by our equine friends, I had fallen off here the other day when the HR just squirmed around and went from under me. I ploughed on through and was really surprised at how the narrower tyres cut through the slop, with not lateral movement. Looking down there was no clogging, any mud had been left behind.

Next my trip took me onto Thurstaston Hill, home of the self righteous dog walker. The terrain varies between smooth sandstone and sticky mud. The Swampthings performed admirably again, I was particularly impressed with the grip when cornering, the side knobs really dig in and there is a gradual roll over to the side, unlike with the Highroller which would give a heartstopping moment just before it eventually regained traction (in the dry that is, in the wet there is no comparison IMO).

So, to conclude my ramblings, good mud tyres, extremely grippy, look good, crap on the anything approaching roads. I would recommend.

Cheers

Pics Below

Liverpool skylinein the distance.

Mud

allthegear
    Free Member

What, no picture of Ian Rush???

crotchrocket
    Free Member

What size are they?

ds3000
    Free Member

He just rushed past.

They are allegedly 2.35, but look narrower.

hh45
    Free Member

they look great – almost like cartoon mountain bike tyres! After ten years i have slowly learnt that light tyres are hardly worth it in winter when what i really need is reliable grip.

Xylene
    Free Member

They are an absolute sod to go up hill on firetrack or road.

The first outing on them, I had to push up a bit of road that I normally just whizzed up.

DarrenH

Nice one ds, think I might be getting a pair soon.

Scamper
    Free Member

pah! should have got mud x 🙂

ds3000
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments.

Scamper – don’t tempt me.

Xylene
    Free Member

Swapthings are a tenner cheaper than mud-x a pair

toys19
    Free Member

i can report the same experience, except the Ian Rush bit. Very slow on hardpack or road, but who cares. Amazing cornering grip and mud grip, happy days.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Put some Swampthings on my Soul a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at the grip they gave. Around Guildford there is lots of sand and I was able to ride through stuff I normally spin out in. Found I had to put more pressure in than normal (35 instead of my usual 30)but so far I am very happy with them. Managed to get a pair from Next Day Tyres delivered for about £30!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Look at these knobs’ is closed to new replies.