Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Long(ish) ride – Surrey to Lincolnshire – Route look OK?
  • SkillWill
    Free Member

Hi,

I have to visit the old folks in a few weeks and thought I’d try and inject some pleasure into the experience and ride up there. So that’s Reigate to Lincoln with a stopover near Cambridge. I haven’t done a trip like this before and wondered if I could get some advice on a few issues, route, equipment etc.

I’ve plotted my route using Google Maps. I got it to generate directions as if walking, and then tried to fine-tune it to avoid some of the major trunk roads.

Here is first day – Reigate (Surrey) to Hilton (Cambs) Basically A23-A3 to St. Pauls, then A10-A1010 until out of London, then wind my way up to Cambridgeshire. 86 miles.

Here is second day – Hilton (Cambs) to Dunston (Lincs). Basically avoiding Peterbrough, through Spalding, up to Swineshead and then back roads through the fens to Dunston. 75 miles.

I’ve tried to look on Streetview at the roads to check they don’t look the sort of roads where I’d be hammering away holding up traffic and think the route looks reasonable. Anyone spot any bad sections?

I’ll be riding on my Genesis Croix de Fer with some decent slick tyres on. Will wear lots of reflective gear. In terms of navigation I was thinking of printing off the route and having it on a handlebar map holder? Can’t afford to be spending too much time navigating and phone battery won’t last if I use Google Maps on it.

Other than that, just take a few spare tubes and enjoy right? Piece of piss?

Thanks,
    Will

porter_jamie
    plumber
    Free Member

I’d be looking at heading up the lee valley trail for a large part of the London section – easy riding – no cars – and mainly pretty

SkillWill
    Free Member

Thanks – didn’t know about the Lee valley, will definitely check that out. Also thanks for the cyclestreets link, hadn’t heard of that either.

boblo
    Free Member

I’d go round the West of Huntingdon and Peterborough instead of East. It’s much more interesting. Cut through Nothants/Rutland/Leicestershire instead of the Fens. The roads around Whittlesey and Spalding and snore inducing…

arcoolc
    Free Member

Dunston, that’s a long ride for a drink in the Red Lion 😀

Looking at the last bit into Dunston (Born and raised in Metheringham) you should be fine, those roads are pretty quiet.

tracknicko
    Free Member

go north on lincoln. find some hills! not massive hills of course but after a couple of days of flat you will be crying out for somethign to happen!!!

rootes1

also bikeroutetoaster does cycle routes and yoy can them save them to gps unit if you need, though it does not like canal paths for some reason… might to do with their rights of way classification

Lee Valley Route is nice – few pubs on the route and lots just off it. Plus you will get a look at the Olympic park etc

SkillWill
    Free Member

arcoolc – right! I grew up in Metheringham and then the old folks moved to Dunston (big move).

arcoolc
    Free Member

Ha, I only got a little further, to Lincoln.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Long(ish) ride – Surrey to Lincolnshire – Route look OK?’ is closed to new replies.