Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • longest travel fork on a older 5spot
  • ton

please anyone

drew

I think ton might mean the original 5" rear 5 spot which is pre 2007 and from what I can remember was designed around a 125-130mm fork.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I've got 140mm 2009 Revs on my Horst Link 5 Spot. I've also changed the rocker plates for later ones to give 140mm at the back too

Any excuse to post a pic 😉

Valleyboy
    Free Member

i run pikes, 140mm and its fine for both up and down

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ken, those aren't the later plates!

pitduck
    Free Member

my buddy khany runs 36

a

s fine
    (2004 h.link) 🙂

drew

I've had one ride with 140mm vanillas fitted to my HL 5 spot with the original rockers and they seemed to be ok. I did need to get my weight forward on steep climbs but they were fine on the level and excellent on the descents.

midlifecrashes

Happy with 130 Vanillas on my large spot, but it could happily take Pikes

ken_shields
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – Member
    Ken, those aren't the later plates!

They're later than the ones that were on there originally

I think my frame is a 2005

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mines a 2005 too. You only get 140mm from the cross braced plates as per TNT models.

5.3" was the longest in the last HL configuration which was 2005, unless you chose to put rfx plates on.

I think.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I keep meaning to ask this over on MTBR, because there are some real turner geeks over there. I run pikes on my '05 spot, with PUSH rockers (5.75"). Keep pondering if I can safely run 160mm forks, not bothered about it being a bit (more) barge-like.

Will probably leave it as it is and buy a bigger bike sometime.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The 05's were designed around a 125mm fox van or float.

AFAIR, Dave turner says yay to 140mm forks and nay to 150mm+.

StuE
    Free Member

My 05 HL 5spot with 150mm 15QR floats,seems fine to me so far

lowey

140 vans on my 2004 frame. NO issues.

michaelbowden

Scienceofficer is right about the rockers on your bike Ken, looks like you've got the 5.3 rockers on there. The 5.5 were only fitted as standard to the 2008 TNT frame.

I ran 140mm floats no problem on mine HL, but I did have the (TNT)5.5 rockers fitted.

If you are interested Ken I have a pair of 5.5 rockers to sell since cracking the seat tube on my 5Spot :o(

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bad Juju Michael.
    🙁

I forgot to add, I ran a 145mm Nixon and a 140mm pike of my '05 and it rode fine except up very steep stuff. When I added the 5.5 plates it rode better all round.

tops5
    Free Member

MB i may be interested if Ken isn't

michaelbowden

Tops, just put them up in the classifieds, my email is in my profile.

tops5
    Free Member

Cheers MB will check parts fund later.

BTW Ton – I run a 140mm fox float on mine and love it, curious to know what difference the extra travel rockers will make tho

firestarter
    Free Member

i run 140mm on my 5.3" tnt spot.

michaelbowden

Ton

I went from 5.1 to the 5.5

The bigest differences I found was that the back end felt stiffer/tracked better. The extra travel made it feel much plusher too.

doris
    Free Member

i have an 2003 5spot and started with some 125 vanillas then moved to a pike which was a great combination and now have a 36 talas because the pikes kept blowing up which was a shame. Run it mainly on the 130 setting but wind them out to 160 for steeper stuff.

khani
    Free Member

the red one is a 03 with 5.3 rockers and the raw one is a 04 backend and a 08 tnt front end with push rockers these also give a slacker h/a than 5.5 rockers which suit 150-160mm forks better imo.
    one thing i did notice with the tnt font end is that it has longer rocker pivot mounts than the early frame if you look at the red one's rocker pivot mount on the seat tube its shorter than the tnt one thats designed for 5.5 rockers and may be a reason why some are cracking in that area plus with longer rockers you are also increasing the leverage ratio on the shock 5 inch rockers run a 2.5-1 ratio while push rockers go to nearly 3-1 so if your a big lad (which a suspect you are) the shock is working harder and you may need some shock revalving to suit, food for thought, not sure on a xl about the pivot mounts, they may be longer anyway
    EDIT forgot to say the red one with 5.3 rockers has 140 talas and the raw one has 160mm talas 36s and is fine

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘longest travel fork on a older 5spot’ is closed to new replies.