Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • longest seat post competition
  • takisawa2

🙂
    Move over…

_tom_
    Free Member

Smaller frames are definitely more chuckable and generally more comfy going downhill (imo). There's a huge difference in feel between my old 19" and my current 16".

maxray
    Free Member

lol worst photoshopping ever 😀

Youd have to have arms that dragged on the floor when you walked too 😀

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I find this interesting, because I ride a small Cotic Simple.

I am 175cm (5' 9"), right on the edge between a 16" small and the 17.5" medium. I have about 27cm of seatpost sticking out, which is quite a bit.

But even on the small I find the top tube quite long and I don't think I'd want the extra length of the medium. I run a 70mm stem. I find manualing the Cotic more difficult than other, shorter bikes I've owned. I've not owned enough different bikes though to make a good comparison I suppose.

el_boufador

Those numbers are not that far apart, the contact points are going to be similmar distances apart, the wheel base will be similar. So, between a S and an XL there might be a decent difference, but there is almost nothing between L and XL.

I get 'chuckability', when it is the difference between a BMX and a MTB. I don't get it when people claim the differences up or down a frame size. The numbers aren't different enough.

My point re the BMX / MTB is that there is a demonstrable difference due to frame size.
    I agree with you that the differences between L/XL numbers aren't great. However the numbers don't have to be that big in magnitude to make quite a difference to the feel of the ride (at least to me).
    This week I slid my saddle forwards by <1cm to get me more over the front of the bike for climbing, and it has definitely made a difference to the way the bike rides seated on steep climbs.

The other way of looking at it is, if only a cm or so on the tt makes no difference then why do they bother making both an L and an XL? Or is this just marketing?

FWIW I started off riding gates at my dad's insistence. Since choosing my own bikes I have realised I prefer a small frame – I have experience of both ends of the frame sizing spectrum.

coffeeking
    Free Member

6'1 and usually ride a 17, I own a 19-20" and find I can't move it around under me quite the same.

adstick
    Free Member

Open call to nearly everyone on this thread –

Your bike is too small for you!!!!!

GavinB

adstick – Member

That depends on what you are doing on it. If you follow road bike sizing, with seat post at maximum pedalling efficiency height – that works great for XC thrashing/touring. I've owned a 20" Inbred that rode like a proverbial gate – it was dull, dull, dull. Now ride a medium BFe, with a long post when climbing, and it's a hoot (although will never climb as efficiently as the longer, duller Inbred)

If you are doing DH or tougher riding, then the whole game is different.

There's a huge range of styles of riding, each requiring different set-ups and equipment.

_tom_
    Free Member

This week I slid my saddle forwards by <1cm to get me more over the front of the bike for climbing, and it has definitely made a difference to the way the bike rides seated on steep climbs.

Yeah I just slid my saddle forwards a cm or two and it makes a huge difference. Thought I'd try it moved back a bit as its usually a bit too cramped on climbs, but feels horrible being so far over the back for everything else. I'll never get why people run lay-back seats, I have to have mine right forward otherwise it feels like I'm way too far over the back wheel.

Saying this I could probably do with a proper bike fitting as mine really doesn't seem right for XC but I find it comfy because I'm used to it. The smaller frame works great for jumping/dh as well!

22cm ish out of the frame, looks almost normal compared to most here 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

whys that thn ? best tell steve peat to get that seat down – its pretty high …

adstick
    Free Member

Exactly.

bassspine
    Free Member

adstick – Member

+1

TooTall
    Free Member

el_boufador
    I have experience of both ends of the frame sizing spectrum.

Just so you know where I'm coming from. I used to think this was the most comfortable thing in the world:

Then I got this and discovered a whole new world of how things should be:

and finally, I have this – the monster truck that can do anything I can, only better:

The first two bikes are both 21" frames – the Turner is 23". I still maintain the difference between a L and XL in the same bike will be tiny in handling performance – the length of the top tube might be relevant, but the axle to axle, angles and BB height will be pretty much the same. Or are the big blokes with kiddy bikes just making excuses for their inability to move a bike around?

Kevevs
    Free Member

LOL'ed my head off at Takisawa2's piccy!

GavinB

trail_rat – Member

whys that thn ? best tell steve peat to get that seat down – its pretty high .
    🙄

So, how did you hear about that, by watching this website?

Do you do much DH riding?

Just interested, because if you do, and you keep your saddle at full pedalling efficiency height then fair play, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Can't compete with some on here, but here's my collection of seatposts…

trail_rat
    Free Member

no gavin i dont ride downhill – never have – its a complete wild stab in the dark …..

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh and i ride a full on xc bike now with the saddle at full height where ever i go.

GavinB

Sorry, but can't really see what height your seatpost is at there, Trailrat.

So, you didn't have your saddle at full height when doing that jump (which looks cool btw), but you ride Xc with your saddle at full height?

Cool – we agree!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Must say that saddle looks pretty low to me!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Steve Peat may run his post a bit higher than most, but it's a long way off XC pedalling height. Oh and how tall is he…?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

but by you lots rules that means his frame is too small 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘longest seat post competition’ is closed to new replies.