Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Longest daily non cycling commute
  • Alcopop
    Free Member

Looking at changing jobs and have the chance of something but its a 140 mile round trip daily,i currently work 10 miles from home while im not too happy where i am at present i dont fancy and additional 120 miles daily ….so make me feel like a wuss with your planes,trains and automobiles daily commutes
    Ali

cyclistm
    Free Member

Surely depends on the roads doesn't it? Mileage not as important as the time.

steve-g
    Free Member

What are the details of the new commute?

I have commuted some distance in the past and sitting on a fast train for an hour reading a book every morning is infinitely less stressful, and sometimes quicker, than a 10 mile journey across the centre of London

Rochey
    Free Member

I do 66 miles to and from work which in a car is 1hr each way, sometimes it's OK and if the weather is good it can be a nice drive also if you have had a bad day by the time you get in you are relaxed and happy to see the wife and kids.

If I had a choice though I would want to work closer to home,

140 miles is hell of a drive, if you are going by car think of the petrol, I spend at present about £80/£100 a month on fuel, what will yours be? or is your new employer going to pay your travel.

Think long and hard first.

Well done with the new job offer though.

nbt

if it was 70 miles by train I might consider it. no way would I drive that far

Alcopop
    Free Member

M8 motorway straight through Glasgow or alternate route mostly B roads which are pretty crap roads pot holes etc
    both roughly 1.5 hrs although if the M8 Kingston bridge is busy then this can increase it by quite a bit
    Travelling from Ayrshire to West Lothian

idontlikechips
    Free Member

I used to travel 60 milea each way, my journey included the dartford crossing which could be an absolute nightmare. After a year of doing it I moved closer to work, now I live 5 minutes from the office. The real shame is that now I have to live in Kent.

renton
    Free Member

IM doing a 100 mile round trip to work everday and i can honestly say i hate it!!

i spend all of it on the motorway (m5/m42/m40) and i get so stressed by other people driving like ****, im more wound up when i get home .

Also banging 24000 miles a year on my car isnt good!!

currently spending 50 quid a week on diesel!

Alcopop
    Free Member

yeah the thought of hours in the car is swaying my judgement somewhat
    while my present job aint too bad it's starting to get me down
    but i think a longer commute would be even worse might have to look for something closer to home

Trimix
    Free Member

I used to drive for 30 mins to the train station, train into London for 1 hour (read books/papers etc) walk for 30 mins. Then repeat at the end of the day. So thats two hours in and two hours out. A total of 4 wasted hours each day. The train was not stressfull, well most of the time. But its such a waste of your life and it cost about 7-8k per year.

The more you do it the more it starts to wear you down. Working closer to home is so valuble its hard to realise until you have to commute a long way/time.

If I left work at five I would get home at 7. But thats not always possible. I never felt I had any time in the week, I lived only at weekends. Not worth it.

falkirk-mark

I used to do Renfrew to Grangemouth over the Kingston Bridge. Managed it for a couple of years. Moved nearer to work as I was needing a bigger house and was sick of the 2 hours lost out of my day. Also the Kingston bridge can be horrendous if you catch it at the wrong time.

samuri
    Free Member

That'd be too far for me I reckon. I used to drive 60 miles each way but it was motorway virtually all the way and I was able to go in early and leave early. Don't forget, if it's B roads, it'll only take one accident or a slow lorry in front of you to make it horrible.

oddjob
    Free Member

I've done more than my share of driving and I would say that it sounds like a long way to me.
    Depends on your family situation as well. Wife? Kids?
    Do you need to be in the office 9-5 every day?

I do about an hour in the car each way at the moment but it is not every day. Given my previous experiences, I generally reckon that anything over an hour each way is too much.

simonm
    Free Member

I do 30 miles a day, Sheffield to Furness vale through the Peak district, its the best part of my day ! looking at the Views of Ladybower, Mamtor etc, seeing how the seasons change the whole look of the area 🙂

Only traffic is sheep on the road, although someone managed to overturn there car in the centre of Hope this morning £$)(£@@"£~~@:

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I do 40 miles each way, mostly motorway,= 1 hour each way.

It's OK to start with and then you start to think what would I rather be doing with 10 hours of my life each week.

I most cases I doubt the answer would be "sitting in my car".

However and this is a big however…. if the job comes with a massive salary / career benefit that will improve your life in the short and medium term then you may suddenly come to love commuting.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I know a guy who travelled from Ayrshire to Fife by train every day: Walk from his house to local train station. Train to Glasgow Central. Walk to Glasgow Queen St. Train to Edinburgh Haymarket. Train to Rosyth. Walk to office.

I also used to do business with a girl in Japan who commuted something like 300 miles each way on the train every day.

Me? My commute is about 5 mins. 🙂

willard

I used to do a 140 mile daily roundtrip and, after 18 months of it, decided purely on economic factors to move from my old place nearer to work.

Even with the economical Rover 620 SLDi (over 50 mpg on the trip average), it was costing over 400 a month and I had to tank it every four days. It was cheaper for me to move from my cheap flat on a stables to a 900 a month mortgaged house with the reduced fuel costs.

All told, I was spending about 3-4 hours in the car a day depending on traffic. It's not nice, but it is doable. Just take a big mug of tea with you.

rootes1

my dad used to do Shrewsbury to the Shell Centre on the old intercity train (used to go to shrewsbury) three times a week – there and back each day…

madness

juan
    Free Member

Well I only commute one hour each way per day.
    Half of it is train, the other is bike. So not tedious by UK/STW standard. I only do this because it ables me free rent.
    Otherwise I would be more than happy to have 8 hours a week more to ride bike properly and enjoy some social life.

Trimix
    Free Member

Whatever happend to the computer/IT/broadband solution enabling us to work from home then ?

MS
    Free Member

I do 80 miles daily. All Dual Carrigeway so takes 35 mins.

I would say it depends on your job, also working hours. I leave early, back of 6, that way the roads are a lot quieter and you can leave earlier. If i leave later it takes me 1 hour plus to get to work, so that is worth considering.

Job not possible to say do 4 day week, get sum digs, work longer hours mon-thurs then take long weekend?? just a thought.

A lot of factors to consider really

samuri
    Free Member

Whatever happend to the computer/IT/broadband solution enabling us to work from home then ?

We're just trialing a new bespoke homeworkers solution where we stick a firewall, WYSE terminal and a phone at someone's house. We make them think they've got some sort of say in what's going on by allowing them to pick their own desk and chair from a catalogue and we provide a broadband connection to their house. Seems to work well. Our new Homeworkers officer used to manage 1800 homeworkers using this method for one company in yankland and seems to have come with similar ideas for our staff. Bring it on I say.

hora
    Free Member

140miles a day? Your car insurance will go up slightly but worse- that wear and tear on your car will also wear and tear you mentally and physically. Some are born to commute (sales reps) but 30kmiles a year? No thanks. Company car and petrol card included? That would be the breaker for me.

Ps. I've never commuted more than 6miles.

falkirk-mark

Trimix-
    I do not think I will ever be able to load a gas ship from my house 😆

5thElefant
    Free Member

I worked as a consultant for years, which meant working at different customer sites. I'd consider a 70 mile (each way) commute a day off. 100 miles was the norm and it would have to be over 200 (each way) before I'd stay over (basically if I could get home by 9:00pm I'd drive).

You get used to it. The majority of people I know do, or have done, the same kind of commuting. It's normal.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I've done long 1-1.5hr commutes, but only temporarily. I could never do it indefinitely i.e. without a plan to move closer.

Time in a car is completely 'dead'. If its a train/bus you can read, check your email, browse STW etc.. If your cycling you getting exercise. But a car means you sat still and getting stressed!

i have friends who've done it for longer (over 1 year) and they eventually had accidents due to the sheer volume of miles covered and the increased time spent driving tired/stressed with lots of other people in a similar state of mind!

hora
    Free Member

5thElefant – this isnt a dig at you or having a go. I find that crackers. I become very bored in a car and restless.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Alcopop a friend of mine travelled from Barrhead to Linlithgow every day which did his nut in so he started working from home. Unfortunately he was promoted to a team leader position which meant he had to be in the office every day, so after fuel costs he had less money than before.

I live in Kilmarnock and work in Glasgow and driving in can be a complete nightmare – so I cycle most of the time. I drove in on Tuesday and it took me about an hour to get to the centre of Glasgow and no end of stress.

I used to work in Edinburgh the odd day and if I was unfortunate enough to have to stay till any time after 4pm it would take me at least 2.5 hours to get home – but that was to Stockbridge.

Maybe when the m74 extension is completed it would make it slightly easier.

No way I would drive that route every day.

M8 motorway straight through Glasgow

But generally the queue to get to the m8 from Ayrshire starts at the top of Newton Mearns.

Olly
    Free Member

personally, i hate commuting.
    what a waste of time. i know a guy who works in derby, lives in shrewsbury, which is about 80 miles each way, but personally, if i cant ride to work, im not interested.
    10 miles max would be my limit i think.

it once took me an hour and a half to cross derby though, it was a 10 min bike ride.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Thanks to all,yep 140miles daily does seem excessive i now dont feel such a wuss
    I drove in on Tuesday and it took me about an hour to get to the centre of Glasgow and no end of stress
    Gary M i feel your pain, presently in Mauchline and work in Killie
    so an easy commute
    possibilty of something in Livinstone hence the initial question
    present job looking better every minute

jon1973
    Free Member

Surely depends on the roads doesn't it? Mileage not as important as the time

Not always, I'd rather be driving on a clear road for 2 hours then stuck in a traffic jam for an hour and a half.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Alcopop fortunately I don't do the drive in very often as I ride to/from work 3 to 4 days a week and work from home at least one day. I'd stick with the easy commute if I were you.

Also if you were going to Livingston from Ayrshire you would be better going the a77/new East Kilbride road then m73/m8, this route is slow too but going through Glasgow takes a lot longer.

simon_g

100 miles or 120 miles round trip depending on office – takes about 2 hours each way for either. Thankfully it's rare I'll do that for more than a day or two a week, I'm at customers or at home the rest of the time.

I wouldn't do it every day. I certainly wouldn't do it if the company wasn't paying my mileage.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Gary M usually use the A70 carstairs road when heading to the east coast
    shorter distance but more winding pot holed roads so ends up taking as long

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Crikey, I find my 6 mile commute boring enough.

140 miles per day would be a massive waste of life in my opinion.

I'd only do it if my home was 5 mins walk from a station, at least you can read a book or listen to some music on the train. Driving is so dull

uponthedowns
    Free Member

21 miles 35mins for me but my neighbour commutes to central London by car, train and tube which takes him 2 hrs. Fortunately he can usually work from home one day a week but I'd rather work on the bins than have that kind of commute.

porterclough
    Free Member

100 miles was the norm and it would have to be over 200 (each way) before I'd stay over (basically if I could get home by 9:00pm I'd drive).

You get used to it. The majority of people I know do, or have done, the same kind of commuting. It's normal.

It might be normal for some people, but it's still crazy 😉

hora
    Free Member

Driving is great fun if you are going somewhere you like or want to visit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've never understood this 'driving is great fun' thing. Can you explain to me what's fun about it if you're driving on normal roads in the UK.

Obvioulsy there are times where the scenery is nice but I don't think I've evr driven anywhere and said 'wow, that was fun'.

maxray
    Free Member

"I do 80 miles daily. All Dual Carrigeway so takes 35 mins."

Surely 35 mins each way? Or do you drive a rocket ship? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Longest daily non cycling commute’ is closed to new replies.