Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • longer than 120mm forks on a whyte t129, or an angleset maybe?
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’ve been the owner of a 2014 t129 for a few months now, I love it. My bigger travel bike hasn’t seen a lot of use since. I ride it in FOD and locally mainly.

Today however, I went to Eastridge, and for the 1st time felt under biked. Not on all of it but some definitely. I know now, I will go back on the 160mm bike next time

Would upping the travel to 130 or 140mm ruin the handling on the more flowy traversing trails and climbs? or the same with a 1 or 1.5 degree headset?

I know that the only sure way to fid out is to try it but I thought id see what other people think 1st.

Woodentop
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 T129, I upped the travel on my Pikes to 130, I had them apart to service them and happened to have another airshaft kicking about so thought i’d give it a go, still rides spot on, no negative effect on the handling.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

did it ride any better? I have a 160mm shaft spare, its tempting.

mike399
    Free Member

I have a 2014 t129 with 140mm fox 34s. Feels really good on the downs, but it does feel a tad too high and wandering on steep climbs. I think 130mm would be the sweet spot.

Woodentop
    Free Member

I added some tokens and lowered the pressure at the same time, so can’t give a back to back comparison between 120 & 130, I was concerned about the front end feeling light on steep climbs but it feels fine. If you’ve got a spare shaft you can shorten then give it a try.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I hadn’t thought of doing that, it would negate the extra height a little. I guess ill just have to try it then.

mkeyg
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2014 t129 works and was advised by whyte you can raise the front end 10mm without any problems. A pike 140mm is only 10mm longer ac length than my fox 120mm but what has put me off doing it is the t129 is designed around a 46mm offset fork and the pike 140mm is 51mm offset

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘longer than 120mm forks on a whyte t129, or an angleset maybe?’ is closed to new replies.